PDA

View Full Version : 358Win build - "Chief Otto Parts"

Bren R.
07-31-2013, 04:25 PM
Here're a few photos of my 358 Winchester build.

The story of it is, my "uncle" (actually my ex's uncle) offered me a Savage 99C in 308 as a "parts gun"... when I got it from him, it'd turned out to be my old hunting rifle I'd sold off and replaced with a Savage bolt action.

I couldn't send the ol' dear out for parts, so it became a 358Win project.

Barrel was rebored by Ron K. Smith. CNC-machining of the grip cap and pistol grip inserts by our own Red River Rick. (Thanks, Rick!) Colour case hardening on the lever was done by Oskar Kob.

My custom designed skeletonized grip cap, machined by RRR and closeup of the forestock Cocobolo inserts:

The Cocobolo "reveal" on the pistol grip cap:

Test fitting:

The forestock inserts weren't so bad to do traditionally, but with the pistol grip inserts being rounded, I leaned on RRR again to mill out the inserts and pockets:

And nearly completely sanded to the grip profile:

Stained and oiled/varnished finish:

With laser checkered Savage logo on stock and gun reassembled, waiting to be reblued when my blueing guy is done with my Swede:

Looks great and shoots a hot damn - wears a Williams peep sight for fast acquisition bush push hunting. And if the recoil pad looks a little strange, that's because it's a Pachmayr skeet shotgun pad. Comes up quicker and snags a lot less than a traditional rifle-style pad.

Bren R.

DeanWinchester
07-31-2013, 04:42 PM
I want it! That is friggin AWESOME! One of my favorite rifles in by far the best calibers ever! It's gorgeous!

waksupi
07-31-2013, 06:44 PM
Interesting rebuild, I like outside the box thinking.

Bren R.
07-31-2013, 07:58 PM
Much obliged for the kind words.

DeanWinchester - sorry, it's not for sale. I'll take this one to my grave. :P

Waksupi - coming from you, a great compliment indeed! Finally got to put all my "I wish"es into one brush gun - 13.75" LOP (which for a guy my height is "scout length")... easy mounting pad... fast acquiring sights... brush buster cartridge... fast followup action type...

And it's pretty... I'm a commercial artist by trade, so redrawing the shape of the checkering for the inserts and desiging the grip cap was childs' play. Couple that with the fact Red River Rick is a hell of a machinist, and how could we lose?

I'm not a fan of checkering on hunting guns... up here, I'm wearing snowmobile mitts the size of a small dog that I can flip off like a hockey player dropping the gloves with a pair of mechanic's gloves underneath... and the checkering doesn't help grip, so might as well make it sexy instead.

Bren R.

Artful
08-02-2013, 10:02 PM
And Sexy it is - between yours and another on this board recently I'm starting to get 99 fever again.

Gibbs44
08-04-2013, 06:17 PM
Beautiful job. Love the grip cap with the cocobolo.

TXGunNut
08-19-2013, 12:09 AM
Wow, really like the inserts! Is that the original stock?

GabbyM
08-19-2013, 11:29 AM
Fine piece of workmanship.

nekshot
08-19-2013, 07:21 PM
I like it, and this continues to drive the bug in me for a pistol grip 99. I like your way of thinking.

MBTcustom
08-20-2013, 06:34 AM
Really great! That rifle deserves some love.
Looks amazing.

preparehandbook
08-25-2013, 12:48 PM
I really like the inserts. Nicely done.