PDA

View Full Version : Winchester Silvertips

StratsMan
07-30-2013, 10:23 PM
Hey All...

Recently found an old gent selling off all his 30-06 stuff (sans rifle). Since you can never have too much 30-06 stuff, I bought it all.

Included in the small gold mine was a full box of 100, 180 grain Silvertip component bullets. I know they haven't been made for some time, and it seems I've heard there are some who still swear by these as game stoppers. I've only seen them in old loaded ammo, never in the box. Is there a market for these things??

Thanks for any info...

77749 77750 77751

phonejack
07-30-2013, 10:43 PM
Oh Lord Yes, if the lead has not started to oxidize and crack. I'm already drooling. I remember !

Wayne Smith
07-31-2013, 07:39 AM
Only one of the best cup and core bullets out there! Hang on to them and kill something!

jlchucker
07-31-2013, 08:57 AM
I've got a stash of Silvertip 170 grainers on hand. Also a huge amount of 180 gr semi-spitzer powerpoints that were made with 30-06 in mind. The latter is a bullet favored by my niece's husband--as long as I load them for him. He's shot several deer with it and swears by them. Winchester made (makes??) good component bullets, if you must use something besides a boolit.

TheGrimReaper
07-31-2013, 10:08 AM
Always heard those were the "bees knees". Winchester still offers them as a loaded round.

bob208
07-31-2013, 12:12 PM
i always tried to keep a few silver tips around incase of vampires.

Echo
07-31-2013, 12:38 PM
Oh Lordy! That reminded me of something, so I went out and looked. Sure enough...

dbosman
07-31-2013, 01:19 PM
The exposed lead tips are dangerous. Oh, wait, they're supposed to be.
Never mind.

Wayne Smith
07-31-2013, 04:58 PM
The exposed lead tips are dangerous. Oh, wait, they're supposed to be.
Never mind.

Those are exposed aluminium tips, not lead. Don't worry!

rexherring
07-31-2013, 05:41 PM
That was my moose round in the 06 up in Alberta. Good bullets.

jlchucker
08-01-2013, 04:35 PM
i always tried to keep a few silver tips around incase of vampires.

I thought that they were supposed to be used for werewolves. Vampires are best caught while asleep, when you can pound a wooden stake through their chests or expose them to sunlight. Never hurts to have some silver tips around, though--just in case.

bob208
08-01-2013, 07:55 PM
yes werewolves too. but vampires can not stand silver they burst into flames when they touch it. sunlight is good along with freshrunning water.

jlchucker
08-02-2013, 09:05 AM
yes werewolves too. but vampires can not stand silver they burst into flames when they touch it. sunlight is good along with freshrunning water.
Good to know LOL.

victor3ranger
08-02-2013, 09:07 PM
On a different note, does anyone remember the old bronze tip bullets?? If so how did you like them?

Cactus Farmer
08-02-2013, 09:36 PM
I love them in my FAL. It's a military rifle and does not do well with exposed lead. Enter the bronze point, feeds like "budda" and expands well. I heard they were invented for the early auto loaders as they didn't do well with the older soft points and their larger exposed lead tips. Both Silver Tips and Bronze Points are quite old designs. I stunbles on 500 count of the 150 grn BPs at a gun show. I got them for a song. The dealer said no one was interested in the "Armor piercing" bullets. I took pity on him and lightened his load on his trip home. ;>)
An aside, I remember an uncle chiping a tooth on the "bronze tip" as we were eating at my grandfathers house,back so many years ago,I might have been 10-11 yo at the time.

victor3ranger
08-02-2013, 10:13 PM
Just wondering. I have had a box of 06 loaded bronze tips for a long time but never shot them. Then I came across a old reloader who was getting rid of stuff and sold me a shoe box full of 130gr bronze tip bullets for a 270. Keeping them for a rainy day:smile:
But didn't know how well they performed on deer size animals.

brassrat
08-02-2013, 10:21 PM
I thought that they were supposed to be used for werewolves. Vampires are best caught while asleep, when you can pound a wooden stake through their chests or expose them to sunlight. Never hurts to have some silver tips around, though--just in case.

That is the way that I did it it, at night. Now some said that they weren't all vampires but better safe than sorry.:-P

fatelk
08-02-2013, 10:29 PM
I don't know how it is now, but a few years back I bought a bulk box of several hundred .30/150 Winchester Silvertip bullets at a gun show, for cheap. I didn't use them for some time, then happened to be looking for something on ebay, and saw some just like mine getting bid up crazy high.

I decided someone else needed them more than I did and put them up for auction. I don't remember what they sold for, but it was a lot. That was back when you could sell stuff like that on ebay.

rockrat
08-03-2013, 12:34 AM
Bought a bunch of bullets for 6mm from a guy. In in was a partial box of bronze tip 90gr IIRC

Cosmiceyes
08-03-2013, 12:49 AM
I have the wooden crate with my 220 grain Silvertips all loaded in 30-40 Kraig.Out of 500 rounds I still have 420. In 200 yards with the peep sight on my Kraig carbine the deer hit the ground like a sledgehammer hit them. If you ever see a Kraig carbine with the initials JB hacked into the right bottom rear of the stock. Please take down the serial number,and call it into the police. My Dad bought it,and the ammo for $10.00 when I was in the 2nd grade.

BruceB
08-03-2013, 01:16 AM
How many times have you seen the name of that rifle in print?

Look at your own illustration of the ammo box!

It's a K-R-A-G..... KRAG!!! Not "Kraig", please.... it's one of my long-time favorite designs, and it really bothers me to see it so commonly spelled wrongly.

Sermon over.

Boyscout
08-03-2013, 10:43 AM
You guys are full of it. If you had seen any of the more recent vampire movies, you would know that they have evolved into loving, caring beings who deserve our love, respect and protection and the few bad apples don't play by the old rules anymore. They run around in daylight and there are no ugly ones. I'll bet they have even developed an immunity to wood, silver and crosses too!

cainttype
08-04-2013, 12:24 AM
The Silvertip line was for a long time considered by many to be the best factory bullets offered, many still consider them to be top-end performers. Today we have really outstanding examples of "Premium" bullets that simply weren't obtainable only a few years back. Examples from true core-bonded to expanding solids are readily available, although pricey.
Not to be confused with "paying for what you get", necessarily, there are also many heavily marketed projectiles that are way over-priced.
The Silvertips were, and are generally excellent J bullets. They could often be found in heavy for caliber listings, making them popular for people looking for deeper penetration along with expansion.
It was always my understanding that the aluminum covered tip was mainly to help protect the larger-than-average amount of exposed lead from deformation through normal handling mishaps.

mroliver77
08-04-2013, 10:01 AM
To answer your question, they sell like mad on ebay!.
J

snuffy
08-04-2013, 12:10 PM
Just wondering. I have had a box of 06 loaded bronze tips for a long time but never shot them. Then I came across a old reloader who was getting rid of stuff and sold me a shoe box full of 130gr bronze tip bullets for a 270. Keeping them for a rainy day:smile:
But didn't know how well they performed on deer size animals.

The bronze tip served two purposes. It protected the bullet tip while feeding/in a magazine, and served to initiate expansion. The first part it did well, the second part it did way TOO well! It was really a giant hollow point with no control when it expanded.

Hit a bone, even just a rib, it would blow-up leaving a shallow wound. Go between a rib, it worked well.

Nosler borrowed the idea with their ballistic tip, with the same results! The B-tip is their solid base bullet with a color coded carbonate tip. No bonding or thicker jacket. So it acts just like the hollow point that it is.

As for the silver tips, it's an iconic bullet. So many were sold and it was effective! The power points now sold are also a good cup & core J-word bullet. Basically the power point is the silver tip without the aluminum covering.

cainttype
08-04-2013, 03:24 PM
Ebay doesn't allow bullet sales anymore. There are other alternatives, like Gunbroker, that do.

frkelly74
08-04-2013, 04:13 PM
There is some good old fashioned marketing there.A Silver Tip bullets with no silver involved. I guess it would have been hard to sell Aluminum Tips. Lots of people have trouble saying luminin anyway. Or is it lunimun?

Blammer
08-04-2013, 07:01 PM
box looks almost mint, may want to see about collector value of them, could be hefty.

ShooterAZ
08-04-2013, 08:47 PM
I have a small stash of 30 Cal 200 grain Silvertips that I have been using for elk in 300 Win mag here in No. Arizona.