PDA

View Full Version : Machinist drawings

kywoodwrkr
10-10-2007, 05:19 PM
Are there machinist drawings available for any of the single shot actions?
If so which actions and from whom would one be able to obtain one.
Are they any good? What strength do they perform at?
Thanks.
DaveP kywoodwrkr

Red River Rick
10-10-2007, 05:35 PM
Dave:

Check out Buffalo Arms. They have drawings for most of the single shot actions, they're not cheap, just over a $100 per set.

I picked up a set of drawings for the Rem. RR, with the intent of making my own replacement parts for a #6 smokeless action but the drawings are for a 1 1/2 Sporter. Not all the parts are interchangeable so I'm still looking for the right drawings.

RRR

floodgate
10-10-2007, 08:34 PM
Dave:

Also, contact Rudi Prusok at the ASSRA Archives <rprusok@nmu.edu>; he has detail drawing sets available for most of the single-shots at $10.00 a set.

Doug

kywoodwrkr
10-11-2007, 05:53 PM
Gentlemen,
Thanks.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm going to be taking a machinist course(s) at local tech school.
Hopefully will have access and time to build what I want.
Building a 25 x 50 Steelmaster building to house my new toys I will be getting if the courses provide me with what I need.Thanks again, will look into both of these.
DaveP kywoodwrkr

floodgate
10-11-2007, 08:10 PM
Dave:

Uh-oh! Now you're on the downward path to perdition....

Doug

floodgate
10-11-2007, 08:15 PM
PS:

The folks at Upper Missouri Trading Co. (<www.uppermotradingco.com>) are selling Remington "Hotbox" actions, as-cast, no machining @$275; partially machined, all holes jig-drilled and tapped, ready for hand finishing @ $475; both sets have all springs fully heat-treated. The un-machined kit might be a good way to start, if you can live with the "tombstone" breechblock and the highly-angled-up firing pin.

D.

Boz330
10-12-2007, 08:08 AM
Dave,
Are you going up to the Vocational School at E-town? Took a few courses there years ago but they discontinued the Saturday classes and I couldn't make the ones during the week.
There is a company making castings of just about all of the popular single shot actions. I think it is frontierarmory.com. They have some unique actions and some of them are amazingly simple and straight forward.

Bob

Harry O
10-12-2007, 07:43 PM
PS:

The folks at Upper Missouri Trading Co. (<www.uppermotradingco.com>)

D.

I visited the gunsmith there about a month ago. I brought him an original Remington No. 1 to be case hardened and a .457" barrel to be fitted to it. He had both the unmachined and machined actions (in the white) in his glass display case, along with 2 or 3 completed rifles on the wall. All the work looked great. I asked him if the castings he used were from Rodney Storie, but he said that he had the castings made himself from wood patterns he made. If he does as well with mine as he did his, I should be happy.

kywoodwrkr
10-23-2007, 08:22 PM
RRR,
Does Buffalo Arms have correct drawing for what you need?
How complete are their drawings? I’d think for $100 they should be very complete engineering drawings.
Doug,
I’ll try Rudi and see what he has as well. More in line with my current budget.
Bob,
Yes, going to E’town.
In computer class:twisted: this fall and start my regular schedule classes in January. Will be taking 16 hours and have almost all non major classes transferred. Want to jump in with both feet fast and then slow down so I can use the toys, err tools they have at the school.
Doing manual things first naturally and then onto my thing-computers.
Was in B’town yesterday checking on my WW supplier.
He had surgery and was back at work. Gotta go back and pick up the WWs though as I had a full(WWs) trunk when there.
All,
Thanks for all the leads.
DaveP kywoodwrkr