PDA

View Full Version : Casting in the Winter

Buck-N-Rut
07-30-2013, 12:57 AM
I now know why so many of you guys do most if not all of your casting in the winter time. I ran out the other day and had to cast some more bookies for the 357 Blackhawk. I have just started casting about 7 months ago. It was cool then. Not now. Central Texas in July gets a little warm. Come winter time gonna have to cast more than I did last time to make sure I don't sweat like this again. I was constantly worried about a bead of sweat falling into the pot. Lesson learned I guess.

Lights
07-30-2013, 01:22 AM
Try and cast outside up here in MN in January.[smilie=l::shock::lol: I just had to say it. I here you though about casting in the summer heat. It is not fun.

Lights

Full Mold Jack
07-31-2013, 10:40 AM
Well it's winter down here and I'm being plagued by spout freeze.

Sometimes the alloy won't flow fom the melter either ;)

Seriously though it's much more enjoyable in the cold and I plan to have a good supply by the time that inescapable heat returns. Thanks for the reminder.

LabGuy
07-31-2013, 12:57 PM
I got a new gun in a new caliber and I got a new mould, I really need to cast some. I guess I’m going to have to suck it up and deal with the heat. I’m thinking about starting at 0500 Saturday.

MWesner55
07-31-2013, 01:04 PM
I love casting in the winter. Usually cast in my bedroom. Wouldn't recommend it.

ACrowe25
07-31-2013, 03:29 PM
I love casting in the winter. Usually cast in my bedroom. Wouldn't recommend it.

Defiantly better than the summer. Past heat wave I was stuck with out 200 swc and had to get in and get out quick dropping a few hundred in 96+ weather.

trixter
07-31-2013, 05:36 PM
The average temperature has been 100+ for the past 3 weeks. I wake up early anyway, so I cast outside under the apple tree (really) and set up everything on Friday night. The pot and the hot plate are both plugged into a power strip. When I wake up I go out and hit the switch, then back inside for the shower and a quick bite and by then everything is up to temp, I cast until 9:30 or 10:00 and then let everything cool (if it can)till Sunday morning, and go from just when it is light enough to see till 8:30 then off to church and then come home and put everything back in its place. In the wintertime is when I smelt the lead from range scrounging, and some how I even find time to do quite a bit of fishing. I love this shooting stuff.

aarolar
07-31-2013, 07:10 PM
What exactly were your concerns with sweat in the lead pot?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?83651-A-myth-about-water-and-molten-lead