PDA

View Full Version : Move to Fl build a home on a lake then complain about gators

Swamp Man
07-29-2013, 10:36 PM
I'm so sick of people that come to FL from other places build homes on our lakes then complain about gators. Today a 12 ft gator was spotted at the lake where a bunch of out of staters have built homes now they want the gator to be killed. I have a much better idea move back to where you came from and you won't have any gators in your lake. I hunt gators so I'm not against killing one for the table but these people want all the gators killed so they can live by the lake without any native wildlife in the area. They complain about the gators,otters,snakes,pigs,birds and on and on. FWC gives into them and traps or kills wildlife like this gator it will be killed to please the outsiders. Personally I'd rather have the gators and other wildlife then the out of state nut cases.

Duckiller
07-29-2013, 10:56 PM
Did the real estate agent(s) happen to mention that there were alligators in the lake. Northern lakes just have mosquitos and snakes. Some of those people never thought about alligators. Perhaps they should sue their agents for failure to fully inform them about the flora and fauna of Florida lakes.

Three-Fifty-Seven
07-29-2013, 10:57 PM
times!

Swamp Man
07-29-2013, 11:02 PM
Did the real estate agent(s) happen to mention that there were alligators in the lake. Northern lakes just have mosquitos and snakes. Some of those people never thought about alligators. Perhaps they should sue their agents for failure to fully inform them about the flora and fauna of Florida lakes.
Who knows what they were told. But anyone should know Fl lakes have gators their as much a part of our state as the sand and swamps.

Swamp Man
07-29-2013, 11:11 PM
Yep, they moved from where they didn't like it, to make their new home like the one they left!

Maybe you need to have them over for a gator BBQ ... Tell them that it is just like fishing, gotta keep the lake levels up, to enjoy the good times! I don't live in any of those neighborhoods but the lake is public water ways and they have no right to demand they remove our wildlife. We have tried so many times to inform the out siders that the gators belong in the lakes and without them it can wreak the eco system but they couldn't care less.

Bzcraig
07-29-2013, 11:32 PM
Deal with them hard and fast, the transplants, look what happened in CA!

JeffinNZ
07-29-2013, 11:37 PM

I live in New Zealand I even I know there are gators and snakes.

Swamp Man
07-30-2013, 12:19 AM
Deal with them hard and fast, the transplants, look what happened in CA!

Oh believe me us natives have no use for them and we don't mind letting them know.

Swamp Man
07-30-2013, 12:23 AM
I live in New Zealand I even I know there are gators and snakes.

Anyone with a brain knows we have gators in almost ever body of fresh water in our state. Kind of tells you the type of folks we are dealing with,don't it? LOL

DougGuy
07-30-2013, 12:59 AM
We used to ride motorcycles a lot late at night and the bayous and swamps of coastal Mississippi were loaded with them too. I had a place where the road went right across the middle of a swamp and I would stop and cut my bike off and "bark" a gator right up out of the water in about 15mins. Then it was time to leave..:bigsmyl2:

MaryB
07-30-2013, 03:36 AM
Like moving to northern Minnesota then complaining about the mosquitoes. Fact of life up there that at sundown go inside a screened area or get eaten. But they want to spray non stop and that poisons fish and birds.

Swamp Man
07-30-2013, 04:46 AM
Is this the gator that ate the 80 pound dog?

No this was a gator just spotted in the lake by the shoreline. That's another issue with them they walk dogs or let their dogs swim in the lakes and when they get eat they cry KILL THE GATORS. It's kind of like if I moved to Texas and then complained and wanted all the cows killed. Their a bunch of nut cases that want everything changed because they moved into the area.

Stephen Cohen
07-30-2013, 05:02 AM
This mentality sounds very familiar, much like certain ethnic groups who come to our country and try to change it to what they left.

762 shooter
07-30-2013, 06:45 AM
Same people that buy near a gun range and then complain, or buy near a race track.

Cidiots.

10-x
07-30-2013, 09:28 AM
+1 for the above,about all I can say is,"If you love NY city, take I-95 north".

Baja_Traveler
07-30-2013, 10:12 AM
Yep - a few years ago people were suing because of the airport noise. What, they didn't notice the neighborhood was under the flight path when they were looking at the place? I mean a plane flies over every 5 minutes. Morons all...

TenTea
07-30-2013, 10:12 AM
NIMBY's and their NIMBY-ism...I wish they would just leave!
...wait, what?

:kidding:

garym1a2
07-30-2013, 10:32 AM
Florida + water = gators.
Unless its salt water and than you have sharks.

KCSO
07-30-2013, 11:04 AM
It's no different anywhere, here the city folks move out here and complain about the animal smells... I don't like the cow manure, my neighbor raises pigs, ect. Or more to the point, I don't want people to hunt it WRONG to kill little animals!

waksupi
07-30-2013, 11:07 AM
http://www.abcfoxmontana.com/story/22961930/otters-attack-drown-black-lab-on-echo-lake

Gators? We have attack otters!

RobsTV
07-30-2013, 12:16 PM
With all the complaining they do about how hot it is, I'm surprised they actually make it outdoors to see gators. Oh wait, the heat is a surprise too... (as I sit casting boolits next to the 89F pool).

LabGuy
07-30-2013, 02:06 PM
Florida + water = gators.
Unless its salt water and than you have sharks.

Well believe it or not, we even have a few crocks in the salt water, in these parts.

country gent
07-30-2013, 02:21 PM
You should see them in farm contry. The city people move out to a true farm area, but or build a house. Nice quiet evenings no sirens. Then it comes time to harvest or work ground and the big diesels come out and they cant "enjoy" due to noise and dust. They tailgate farm equipment being moved on the road. Then its time to clean the barns and the smell has them upset. Soon they are pushing for city water and sewage. Then for limits on when equipment can be ran. Next its rezoning against livestock. Then its banning farm equipment from the roads. Theres no pleasing these people. They want to change whats been going on ( and feeding the country) for the last 100 years. Its the same everywhere people think they want to live. Its a real issue at times as things get nasty/

searcher4851
07-30-2013, 03:01 PM
I can testify to the farmland complaints. All I can figure is that some folks are just plain ignorant.
Back to the OP, I think if I went to Florida, I'd be disappointed if I DIDN'T see a gator, I'd expect to see them.
I don't understand the "logic". Seems to me you move to someplace because you like it there. Why would you want to change it then?

375RUGER
07-30-2013, 03:09 PM
Unfortunately too many people want the world to revolve around them instead of be part of it.
We have open range here. City slickers who move out on the edge of town think it's the local ranchers responsibility to keep cows out of their yards. Courts uphold it's a fence out state, not fence in. Local ranch tried to have a fence but the idiots on dirt bikes and dunebuggies keep tearing it down and destroying the posted signs.

scarry scarney
07-30-2013, 03:17 PM
Can I trade you some liberal democrats politicians for your gators? I'm hoping that if we can get the gators established in Sacramento, they might cut down the population of politicians that reside in Sacramento.

Swamp Man
07-30-2013, 05:11 PM
Can I trade you some liberal democrats politicians for your gators? I'm hoping that if we can get the gators established in Sacramento, they might cut down the population of politicians that reside in Sacramento.
LOL!!! I think NOT!!

Swamp Man
07-30-2013, 05:28 PM
I can testify to the farmland complaints. All I can figure is that some folks are just plain ignorant.
Back to the OP, I think if I went to Florida, I'd be disappointed if I DIDN'T see a gator, I'd expect to see them.
I don't understand the "logic". Seems to me you move to someplace because you like it there. Why would you want to change it then?You would think they would want to come here to enjoy the nature but what they truly want is to have Fl weather with N.Y. city laws. They look at us swamp folks like we are invading their home lands. We've had a few over the last few years that told us they didn't want our kind around their lake. We replied with if we get out of this boat your not gonna want the a$$ kicking you get either but that won't be your choice neither. A few have called the Sheriff on us and we tell the Sheriff they were on public land running their mouths. The Sheriff has to tell them it's public land and it's not smart to threaten us swamp folks which really ticks them off when the Sheriff want side with them.

Swamp Man
07-30-2013, 05:34 PM
Well believe it or not, we even have a few crocks in the salt water, in these parts.

Sure do. I'm in North Central Fl their not in my area but in south Fl they do have American Crocks "Salties".

Rick N Bama
07-30-2013, 05:35 PM
You should see them in farm contry. The city people move out to a true farm area, but or build a house. Nice quiet evenings no sirens. Then it comes time to harvest or work ground and the big diesels come out and they cant "enjoy" due to noise and dust. They tailgate farm equipment being moved on the road. Then its time to clean the barns and the smell has them upset. Soon they are pushing for city water and sewage. Then for limits on when equipment can be ran. Next its rezoning against livestock. Then its banning farm equipment from the roads. Theres no pleasing these people. They want to change whats been going on ( and feeding the country) for the last 100 years. Its the same everywhere people think they want to live. Its a real issue at times as things get nasty/

State & Local roads here are considered "Farm to Market" roads. Sorry about that if you're stuck behind a slow moving Combine or Cotton picker for 10 miles or more!

Rick

Epd230
07-30-2013, 09:54 PM
The idiots are not keeping their idiotic complaints in the rural areas.

We have a group of homeowners that bought houses on a very busy state route that runs through a large city. They then lobby against the state to keep the road from being widened to a four lane road.

Now they are complaining about the excessive traffic that drives past their house. They are lobbying the state to reroute the truck route around the outside of town to keep the trucks from driving down their street.

Unbelievable!

olereb
07-30-2013, 10:43 PM
I live in SW FL and personally i'd like to throw those people into the lakes and let the gators eat them,anyone that comes down here and says they didn't know there were snakes and gators in the lakes is to stupid to breath. I like the newbies from up north that complain that their poodle is gonna get eaten because they walk it right by the lakes edge,just idiots.

Swamp Man
07-31-2013, 02:28 AM
I live in SW FL and personally i'd like to throw those people into the lakes and let the gators eat them,anyone that comes down here and says they didn't know there were snakes and gators in the lakes is to stupid to breath. I like the newbies from up north that complain that their poodle is gonna get eaten because they walk it right by the lakes edge,just idiots.LOL I agree. I guess they don't know gators love dogs a gator will eat a dog anytime they can get one. Walking your dog by the lake is like waving a snack in the gators face.

gandydancer
07-31-2013, 02:57 AM
This mentality sounds very familiar, much like certain ethnic groups who come to our country and try to change it to what they left.

Ditto--ditto---ditto.In 1962 I moved to wallingford ct from maine because of a job transfer, the winchester shooting club build by winchester some time I believe right after world war two. with four high house -low house for skeet. and two trap over water ponds. for trap shooting. a great place to eat. and you could rent any kind of winchester shotguns with 25 shells and 25 birds with a caddy/person for elec bird throw. for $5.00 bucks. the nitwits wanted it closed because of the ducks using the ponds. ponds build by winchester mind you.well in a few years Winchester got tired of fighting the nitwits and tore it all down. drained the ponds. dirt filled it all in and sold the land.of course all the nitwits wanted to know what happen to the ponds. Winchesters reply. What Ponds? PS the ducks left also. All factory's there today.

MaryB
07-31-2013, 03:31 AM
My neighbors moved out here from Minneapolis to retire. First time the farmer parked a tractor on the back lawn they were upset... it borders his field and is a utility right of way and not part of the property.

Bad Water Bill
07-31-2013, 06:43 AM
The idiots are not keeping their idiotic complaints in the rural areas.

We have a group of homeowners that bought houses on a very busy state route that runs through a large city. They then lobby against the state to keep the road from being widened to a four lane road.

Now they are complaining about the excessive traffic that drives past their house. They are lobbying the state to reroute the truck route around the outside of town to keep the trucks from driving down their street.

Unbelievable!

The state could always re route the highway then send EVERY person that signed the petition their equal share of the total cost to construct the new route + an annual fee to maintain the route.

Then put a lean for that amount on their property.:bigsmyl2:

chuckbuster
07-31-2013, 06:46 AM
This thread reminds me of a T-Shirt a friend used to have and proudly wear on the beaches along our Lake Michigan Shoreline. Caption on it.........

"Why do they call it Tourist Season.... When you CAN'T SHOOT THEM?"

Kevin

LabGuy
07-31-2013, 01:12 PM
LOL I agree. I guess they don't know gators love dogs a gator will eat a dog anytime they can get one. Walking your dog by the lake is like waving a snack in the gators face.

Well if we’re lucky they will have a good stout leash and not let go, two for one. Sorry about the dog.

Swamp Man
07-31-2013, 03:40 PM
Well if we’re lucky they will have a good stout leash and not let go, two for one. Sorry about the dog.
What we really need here is a law that states 3 complaints about wildlife or Fl Natives you get banned from the state and have 30 days to leave.

LUBEDUDE
07-31-2013, 03:58 PM
Back in the early 70's when the gators were protected, I would come out to Fla to Ski School when I skiied competititvely. We had a 8 ft (?) gator that hung out and watched us ski the slalom course and jump off of the ski jump. It was great motivation not to fall!!!

That gator never bothered anyone.

Riverpigusmc
07-31-2013, 07:06 PM
gators ain't just in our rivers swamps and lakes..I live in the scrub and had a 5 footer walk through the pines behind the house in a heavy rain

KrisR
07-31-2013, 07:33 PM
This thread reminds me of a T-Shirt a friend used to have and proudly wear on the beaches along our Lake Michigan Shoreline. Caption on it.........

"Why do they call it Tourist Season.... When you CAN'T SHOOT THEM?"

Kevin

I want that shirt.

10-x
07-31-2013, 07:55 PM
There is a eatery on the creek/marsh across from where we live, my best friend from TEXAS came to see us and we went to eat at this place. Well there is a 6-8 ' gator that lives in the marsh by this place. During our meal , while on the deck, this gator swam up to the bank. We had a basket full of rolls, my friend has a good arm so he started pitching rolls to the gator. The waitress came out and saw what was going on, she went in the kitchen and got more rolls, the owner even came out and approved, gator ate well, its name is "Tid Bit"....LOL.....We like gators in the creek.

Hogtamer
07-31-2013, 08:04 PM
Swampman, you know there are Yankees and then there are damned Yankees. The damned Yankees are the ones who stayed!![smilie=l:

dbosman
07-31-2013, 10:46 PM
So - are you folks telling me not to hand feed the ducks in Florida?

Swamp Man
07-31-2013, 11:53 PM
gators ain't just in our rivers swamps and lakes..I live in the scrub and had a 5 footer walk through the pines behind the house in a heavy rain
They will often cross land going from wetlands to other wetlands due to low water,limited food supplies and in breeding season.

Swamp Man
07-31-2013, 11:55 PM
Swampman, you know there are Yankees and then there are damned Yankees. The damned Yankees are the ones who stayed!![smilie=l:
Oh how well I know. LOL

Gliden07
08-01-2013, 04:40 PM
I live in Mass my parents have a Winter place in Florida they have had for years. The place they live has an Orange grove with an irrigation pond, the pond had a couple Gators that lived in there for many years (20+). As the people in the community changed, due to passings and people selling there places there were a bunch of "DO GOODERS" that insisted the Alligators be removed! They had never done anything to the people in the community to warrant there removal. The "DO GOODERS" prevailed the gators were removed for doing nothing. My Parents were really mad about it!

I'm so sick of people that come to FL from other places build homes on our lakes then complain about gators. Today a 12 ft gator was spotted at the lake where a bunch of out of staters have built homes now they want the gator to be killed. I have a much better idea move back to where you came from and you won't have any gators in your lake. I hunt gators so I'm not against killing one for the table but these people want all the gators killed so they can live by the lake without any native wildlife in the area. They complain about the gators,otters,snakes,pigs,birds and on and on. FWC gives into them and traps or kills wildlife like this gator it will be killed to please the outsiders. Personally I'd rather have the gators and other wildlife then the out of state nut cases.

GaryN
08-01-2013, 09:55 PM

Sounds very familiar.

avogunner
08-02-2013, 09:35 AM
I live near enough to MCB Quantico to hear the mortars when the new 2Lt's are learning to call in fire and the heavy crew served (M2 and MK 19) weapons training....to me, it's the sound of FREEDOM! However, regularly, I'll open the local paper to a story about a new resident who "wasn't told about the base noise" when they bought their house, complain it disturbs their peace and demand it be stopped. I sometimes wonder what planet these people come from..

Riverpigusmc
08-02-2013, 07:48 PM
They will often cross land going from wetlands to other wetlands due to low water,limited food supplies and in breeding season.

Lol...he walked a long way, then...closest body of water is Orange Lake, about 15 miles away

Swamp Man
08-05-2013, 05:12 PM
Lol...he walked a long way, then...closest body of water is Orange Lake, about 15 miles away He could have been heading to a small farm pond. There are little small spots of wetlands and farm ponds all around the Orange Lake area. I know the Orange Lake area vary well grow up in this area and been here ever since. Do you know where the Camps Canal/River Sticks swamp is? That area was my childhood playground to this day it's still one my favorite places to spend my free time.

shaune509
08-05-2013, 08:45 PM
These are the type of people that will move into farm country and get the county to change the zoneing codes to limit farm noise, dust, animal smell so they can have there piece and quite @ noon on sunday all year long, but can't see why we get upset wen they shoot there $1000.00 of 4th July fireworks over the wheat fields.
shaune509

Riverpigusmc
08-06-2013, 09:40 PM
He could have been heading to a small farm pond. There are little small spots of wetlands and farm ponds all around the Orange Lake area. I know the Orange Lake area vary well grow up in this area and been here ever since. Do you know where the Camps Canal/River Sticks swamp is? That area was my childhood playground to this day it's still one my favorite places to spend my free time.

I live in the woods near Archer...only body of water here is the donkey's watering trough :)

Bent Ramrod
08-07-2013, 03:21 PM
Bill,

I remember the Sabino Canyon Rifle Range on the northeast side of Tucson when I lived there. Fabulous place; well appointed, with good rangemasters and gorgeous scenery. But then the Canyon was closed to car traffic and the people waiting in the parking lot for the trams to take them up the Canyon complained about the noise. Then the rich people who bought houses within a mile of the place chimed in, because it is incumbent on everybody to make them absolutely, totally and completely Safe, and then some group of moneyed, bored activists ("Doctors for the Regulation of Everyone?" can't remember) combined with the other whiners and the Park Service caved and closed the place down. Nobody of course was in any danger as we shot directly towards the mountains and nobody lived up there. But a lot of people's basic reason for existence is to figure out ways to restrict other people.

There were also instances back then of housing developments built right up to the lip of open pit mines and people moving in and complaining about the dust, and people who moved in at the end of airport runways and complained about the noise.

Gresham's law states the bad tends to drive out the good.

Swamp Man
08-07-2013, 09:29 PM
I live in the woods near Archer...only body of water here is the donkey's watering trough :)
Oh really I know Archer well. There are small farm ponds all over the area that you wouldn't even know about unless you have been on the farms where there at. Out towards the back side of Newberry there is a place called Watermelon pond and a few other small ponds as well. There is also a small creek west of Archer called Otter Creek. He was most likely moving from a farm pond to another farm pond in the area.

Baja_Traveler
08-09-2013, 10:53 AM

Swamp Man
08-11-2013, 04:29 PM
"Couple moves to Florida & wife stops gator attack with a small Beretta pistol."

This is a story of self control and marksmanship by a brave, cool-headed NJ woman with a small pistol against a fierce predator.
What is the smallest caliber that you would trust to protect yourself?

A Beretta Jetfire testimonial.
While out walking along the edge of a pond with my husband discussing property and new house, we were surprised by a huge 12-ft. Alligator that suddenly emerged from the murky water and charging us with its large jaws wide open. She must have been protecting her nest because she was extremely aggressive.
If I had not had my little Beretta Jetfire .25 caliber pistol with me I would not be
here today! Just one shot to my estranged husband's knee cap was all it took. The gator got him easily and I was able to escape by just walking away at a brisk pace.
It's one of the best pistols in my collection! LOL yep that would do the trick.

500MAG
08-11-2013, 04:40 PM
Born and raised in South Florida. My current home is less than 2 miles from the edge of the Everglades. Walked out my backdoor one morning a couple weeks back and there was a gator swimming slowly through the lake behind our house. You can tell who the transplants were, all pointing and snapping pictures. I sipped my coffee and went back in the house.