PDA

View Full Version : Some SOB stole my powder!

Changeling
07-29-2013, 07:19 PM
I went down to the basement yesterday to wash some sum stuff and happen to glance over at my reloading bench, some AH had stole an 8 pound keg of 296, I started looking around and found they/he had also taken a ton of fishing stuff.

I have no proof of who did it but from the stuff that was stolen I know exactly who did it! My neighbor and I had a complete falling out about 3 years ago because of things missing from my barn witch he had access to for shooting deer out the backsliding door.

The thing is I have no idea how he is getting in the basement. The only door is a sliding door that go's out on to a little patio and I keep it locked. I live alone so it's easy for anyone to know when the house is empty.

Anyway just a reminder to you guys, don't trust anyone! A harsh thing to say, but these are new times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:sad:

williamwaco
07-29-2013, 07:39 PM
Sliding doors are about as secure as a shower curtain!

The lock is meaningless.

Do a little research on blocking it with a wooden block.

http://voices.yahoo.com/how-secure-sliding-glass-door-213145.html

BBQJOE
07-29-2013, 07:46 PM
That might just be a hanging offense these days.

mroliver77
07-29-2013, 07:58 PM
It really sucks!
I disagree though. There are a few people I am sure I can trust!
J

Taylor
07-29-2013, 08:12 PM
Thieves are dirt bags and that's just all their is to it.:takinWiz:

turmech
07-29-2013, 08:40 PM
First sorry to hear more of how bad the world is.

Second, I think I would be setting up a non flash game camera and some more bait (fishing or reloading supplies seem to do the trick). Once I had a pic he would pay for my loss.

500MAG
07-29-2013, 08:46 PM
I say you don't do anything. Get an empty 8 pound can again and mix a bunch of powders together and leave it in plain sight. That'll fix him.

Bzcraig
07-29-2013, 08:51 PM
It really sucks!
I disagree though. There are a few people I am sure I can trust!
J

Yes, it really sucks, especially if it is your neighbor. But I too have several in my inner circle I trust implicitly. Outside that circle, only as needed. Maybe it's time to try and resolve your differences with the neighbor....if possible?

jonp
07-29-2013, 09:04 PM
I say you don't do anything. Get an empty 8 pound can again and mix a bunch of powders together and leave it in plain sight. That'll fix him.
Thats along the lines of finding some of your firewood missing and drilling a hole in one piece and adding some gunpowder and plugging it up. Works everytime

500MAG
07-29-2013, 09:14 PM
Thats along the lines of finding some of your firewood missing and drilling a hole in one piece and adding some gunpowder and plugging it up. Works everytime

Lordy!

MT Gianni
07-29-2013, 11:14 PM

He may be reselling this. I go for a big dog.

MOcaster
07-29-2013, 11:21 PM

I would say some R1 or Titewad would work pretty well for that.

Blammer
07-29-2013, 11:23 PM
I'd see about securing that sliding glass door a bit better and a game camera is a good deal too. could have it pointed on the outside of your house looking back at it. all you need is it showing he's on your property then call the cops.

303Guy
07-29-2013, 11:30 PM
I say you don't do anything. Get an empty 8 pound can again and mix a bunch of powders together and leave it in plain sight. That'll fix him.You beat me to it! :twisted: But yes, he might be reselling it. :-(

Thats along the lines of finding some of your firewood missing and drilling a hole in one piece and adding some gunpowder and plugging it up. Works everytimeHee hee hee. Oh yes, I like it! :2_high5:

I'd go for the camera trick - that way you can get your money back and seriously discourage him.

D Crockett
07-29-2013, 11:35 PM
there are a few ways to secure the sliding glass door one is to put a wood stick fork one to the door jam I used a steel pipe when I lived in a in a different house you can also drill a hole all the way threw one side and 1/2 way threw the out side door and put a pin in it but I would opt for the trail cam catch him and make him pay hope this helps D Crockett

jonp
07-30-2013, 04:35 AM
NOTE: You don't have to use enough gunpowder to hurt someone on the firewood trick. Just enough to make a heck of a bang in a woodstove and scare the jeepers out of someone will dissuade them from your wood.

SteveK
07-30-2013, 07:57 AM

That's a good one until your wife or brother-in-law throw that tricked-up piece of wood in YOUR firebox! Ho boy!

44man
07-30-2013, 08:14 AM
I have never had any problems but the powder in the firewood is a great idea. My daughter has her wood stolen a lot so I have to tell her. I have extra FFFFG.
Trail cams work great. The lady that owns the property I hunt has problems with a neighbor with mental problems. He ruins her mowers and cars at night. She never has money with SS and I have a hard time telling her the camera is cheaper then repairs.
Locks are nothing, I did locksmith work part time and there are few I can't open. The same lady lost the key for the huge lock on her barn and just one slip of a rake and I had it open.
A friend called me for help, his neighbor lady left the house and locked the door but forgot the key. Her baby was in the house and she was frantic. It took me some time while they were thinking about busting windows but I got the door open. A hug is worth a million dollars!
That guy might have the means to open the lock so you need a picture. If you catch him you might own more land and a house.

Shiloh
07-30-2013, 08:47 AM
What an incredible disappointment. Not only for your missing stuff, but that you live next to a jerk like this.

SHiloh

Beagle333
07-30-2013, 09:53 AM
Trail cams work great.
+1 They found an easy score.... they will come back. Get a pic.

41 mag fan
07-30-2013, 10:25 AM
Once a thief always a thief. No matter if you patch things up with the neighbor, he'll snag something that is yours when you least expect it.

Hardcast416taylor
07-30-2013, 10:42 AM
There`s always the old time favorites for discouraging an intruder. Either the burglar trip gun loaded with a blank. The sure fire catcher, the coni-bear bear trap concealed under the door throw rug. A german shepard dog is a very positive deterrant.Robert

Gohon
07-30-2013, 10:55 AM
Gun powder in fire wood, mixed gun powder..........can't think of a better way to find ones self in a courtroom facing jail time. Doesn't matter what the reason is, intent to do bodily harm is a crime that will land you in hot water. Get the trail cam or some other means to identify the thief and go from there.

Sensai
07-30-2013, 11:00 AM
I was going to make a suggestion, but I'm sure it would be illegal! Can you tell how I feel about dirty, rotten, good for nothing theives?

jmort
07-30-2013, 11:07 AM
Here is an inexpensive way to secure your home

http://simplisafe.com/

g5m
07-30-2013, 11:50 AM
Here is an inexpensive way to secure your home

http://simplisafe.com/

That looks like a real boon. If it had been around a few years ago it could have saved me beaucoup bucks.

And I'd like to add my being sorry about the theft.
Twenty five or so years ago somebody broke into my parents' cabin and stole nearly all of my father's fishing gear-- it had been obtained all the way back to the 1930's. It really started his ultimately terminal decline.

Smoke4320
07-30-2013, 12:03 PM
Trail cam all the way ..picture proof to the cops and you are done .. no legal issues on your end

44man
07-30-2013, 12:05 PM
Hard to prove intent with items on your property. Fire wood was bought from some guy that came by, he stacked it, I paid and he left. The tree might have some civil war stuff grown into it.
With the legal system as it is, if I had to shoot a creep in my house I would wrap the body in plastic and haul it a thousand miles to dump.
I might like bear traps as a hobby and if a creep gets in one, tough.
It is still my property and no one is allowed on it without permission. My home is my castle, stay out.
If I have a pit bull that tears a creep to pieces, how is that different then a trap or looking down my .500 revolver?
Liberals have given criminals more rights then victims. Not here on my property.

gefiltephish
07-30-2013, 03:56 PM
Sliders are easy to get through. Lift it up off the track with a crowbar or screwdriver, pull the bottom out. To prevent the door from being lifted or slid open even if they open the lock, you drill the door where it overlaps and put pins in the top and the bottom. Here's a link for sliding windows (http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/33/338b643d-6e6b-4aac-b44c-ed514616c8f5.pdf), but it's the same principal.

BBQJOE
07-30-2013, 04:22 PM
I've never tried this, but have given it thought.

http://burglarbomb.com/

destrux
07-30-2013, 04:44 PM
Just make sure it was who you think it was before you make an *** of yourself.

One of my customers at work was telling me about how his neighbor kept stealing stuff from his garage. He started doing spiteful things to his neighbors house like spraying cat urine on the door and childish stuff.... started an all out war with the guy. Turns out the whole time it was his grandkid taking his stuff.

lmfd20
07-30-2013, 05:02 PM
As a long time firefighter/emt, if I stepped in a bear trap hidden under a rug at a door, you would be doing 25 years. I am sorry bout your loss. I lived next to some crackheads for years. My deterrent was a couple of visible cameras under the eves of my house and letting them know that I saw them doing something around my property one time when they knew I wasnt home. After that, no more problems. At least not for me, other neighbors was a different story.

Changeling
07-30-2013, 05:49 PM
Well Thanks for all the suggestions, I really appreciate it. It is a very odd feeling knowing someone has been doing this and then you discover who it is!!
It really gives me a completely new understanding of how women must feel when they are raped.
However I wasn't raped and I am not the kind of person that turns the other cheek so to speak!!

I have taken care of things completely!

303Guy
07-30-2013, 05:52 PM
I'm in the 'catch him red handed on camera' school. It is always possible it was someone other than your neighbour. If it wasn't him it would be an idea to secure that slider but if it was him then securing it would mean not catching him. Bit of a dilemma.

303Guy
07-30-2013, 05:54 PM
Care to tell us how?

jonp
07-30-2013, 08:20 PM
Gun powder in fire wood, mixed gun powder..........can't think of a better way to find ones self in a courtroom facing jail time. Doesn't matter what the reason is, intent to do bodily harm is a crime that will land you in hot water. Get the trail cam or some other means to identify the thief and go from there.
yeah...probably not unless the guy/guys/gal want to admit to trespassing and stolen property. This is on my firewood idea not mixing gunpowder. The firewood wood just scare the pants off someone but the gunpowder could seriously hurt or kill someone.

Judge: "OK, let's hear it"
Miscreant: "Well, I went onto the guys property to steal some wood and.."
Judge "Hold on. You trespassed onto private property to commit a felony?"
Miscreant: "err...um...yeahhhhh"
Judge: "Bail at $50,000 until the trial. Next"

Lloyd Smale
07-31-2013, 06:11 AM
take a keg of 2400 or 110 and fill it with bullseye. Just make sure you dont forget yourself. Id bet if your quiet about it he will return.

Stephen Cohen
07-31-2013, 06:50 AM
As others have said, locks mean nothing, hell I remember when it was common practice to teach prisoners the art of lock smithing so they could get a job when they got out. Or was it pull a job. I have a good friend who was charged for setting a trip wire to a blank firing device because the perp lost control of his bowels. Get the cams its safer and will give you enough to have the vermin charged.

GP100man
07-31-2013, 07:07 AM
It`s frustrating I KNOW !!

Set up the trail Camera for sure .

then drill a 1/4" hole & put a bolt thru it , don`t titen it down tite let it spin ,but double nutt it inside .

My visitor stayed & fiddled with it long enuff to fill the memory card on the Camera.

& yes they were lifting it up over the track until the last time (2 visits before) tried the stick in the jamb did`nt stop em , then it dawned on me lifting it up to gain acces.

I now have a survalence camers also & it seems to deter alot of people from doing stuff when they see em.

Sad to say , I can only see it all gettin worse as times change!

dakotashooter2
07-31-2013, 11:08 AM
Take an empty bottle/keg and fill it with cream of wheat (for weight and texture). Then add a bottle or two of skunk essence...........

I watched a show a while back that showed the guys using black powder to split rails. It made for a nice bang and did split the rail but didn't seem that dangerous otherwise. It (black powder0 might throw a little more debris if in a standard log but smokeless powder likely wouldn't have as violent as an effect and would just make lots of smoke and noise.

BBQJOE
07-31-2013, 01:16 PM
You might just go knock on his door and ask to borrow a cup of 296.
See what he says. :-)

MWesner55
07-31-2013, 01:18 PM
Yeah. I would say mix in some pistol powder. A little TNT. And maybe some shotgun BBs. Teach that a** hole a lesson when he pulls the trigger. What a shame.

ACrowe25
07-31-2013, 03:28 PM
Yeah. I would say mix in some pistol powder. A little TNT. And maybe some shotgun BBs. Teach that a** hole a lesson when he pulls the trigger. What a shame.

A bit extreme... But would do the trick.

jonp
07-31-2013, 05:58 PM

Uh...why don't you just dress up like a ninja, kick his door in and yell Homeland Security, toss a few flashbangs and let off a few hundred rounds into his ceiling then shoot his dog?

blackthorn
07-31-2013, 06:09 PM
If you are SURE whoever took your stuff is going to use it himself --- MAYBE switching powders is O.K. (I hate thieves!) BUT what if he gives or sells it to some inocent??? I suggest you use the game camera(s) and go from there.

ACrowe25
07-31-2013, 06:13 PM
If you are SURE whoever took your stuff is going to use it himself --- MAYBE switching powders is O.K. (I hate thieves!) BUT what if he gives or sells it to some inocent??? I suggest you use the game camera(s) and go from there.

Very interesting point, one I didn't think of when thief came across my mind. If he is low enough to steal he is low enough to steal and sell things you bought... Wouldn't want to harm the innocent IMO.

Is the guy stable enough to talk to? Tell him you have game camera proof (once you do) and try to settle it like men.

Changeling
07-31-2013, 06:24 PM
He couldn't hit a barn if he was sitting inside with a pistol/revolver!!!!!!!!!

Like I said, thanks guys, I am taking care of it!

500MAG
07-31-2013, 06:25 PM
It would be good to have one of those bank dye packs. Put it in something you know they would take. Watch your neighbor go to his mailbox looking like a smurf and you can LYAO.

Eddie2002
07-31-2013, 07:16 PM
Get a gas tank with a couple of gallons of gas in it along with a pound of sugar and "leave" it on the back porch or next to the sliding glass door. Bet the sugared gas will end up in the thief's gas tank. Just a thought that won't blow anybody up.

KrisR
07-31-2013, 07:28 PM
On a sliding glass door. Screw one side shut on the top, so the door cant be lifted out of the track. On the side you open put a latch on it that if someone was too lift it, the latch will prevent it from coming out. got mine at a ace hardware.
Sorry for loss, that's a real bummer. Revenge is not worth it, Secure it and camaras. You'll caught him, especially when they go too jimmyin that door clic clic clic call police.

9w1911
07-31-2013, 08:06 PM
wow I would be furious, and some you fells have a much better temper than me, that one poster who said he had multiple break in's, if that was me I would set out and camp for them to enter my home for the last time.
I suggest some bait, like powder with sand in it etc, something else like a case or two of beer, bottles of wine something he has to come inside the home and have several trail cameras set up, inside and out.

BBQJOE
07-31-2013, 08:57 PM
Gentlemen, any form of boobytrap will land you in prison.
Revenge is highly desired in a situation like this, but use your heads.
Catch a thief if you can, but remember this is America, and thieves have the right to steal and not get harmed unobtrusively.

blikseme300
07-31-2013, 09:38 PM
Catch a thief if you can, but remember this is America, and thieves have the right to steal and not get harmed unobtrusively.

Pity only criminals have "rights" today. Careful planning is required for "industrial accidents" to be effective so as to achieve the desired results. I would not do anything or recommend anything illegal, but I understand.;)

mpmarty
07-31-2013, 10:04 PM
All this discussion on thieves almost makes me wish I didn't have a pair of Doberman Pincers on duty. I miss all the excitement.

fcvan
07-31-2013, 11:26 PM
I like the idea of a dummy can of powder, maybe with a nice note inside. "While you were stealing this powder, my camera recorded everything. Your theft of this powder just cost you your privilege to possess/own/shoot firearms legally because you you are a common thief. Here's your sign"

Driver man
08-01-2013, 12:06 AM
I went down to the basement yesterday to wash some sum stuff and happen to glance over at my reloading bench, some AH had stole an 8 pound keg of 296, I started looking around and found they/he had also taken a ton of fishing stuff.

I have no proof of who did it but from the stuff that was stolen I know exactly who did it! My neighbor and I had a complete falling out about 3 years ago because of things missing from my barn witch he had access to for shooting deer out the backsliding door.

The thing is I have no idea how he is getting in the basement. The only door is a sliding door that go's out on to a little patio and I keep it locked. I live alone so it's easy for anyone to know when the house is empty.

Anyway just a reminder to you guys, don't trust anyone! A harsh thing to say, but these are new times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:sad:
Must have a key. Change the lock.

ACrowe25
08-01-2013, 12:19 AM
Disagree. Sliding doors aren't known for their security... No key needed.

TheGrimReaper
08-01-2013, 10:34 AM
That is really messed up. Nowdays powder is high and rare!

youngda9
08-01-2013, 12:17 PM
take a keg of 2400 or 110 and fill it with bullseye. Just make sure you dont forget yourself. Id bet if your quiet about it he will return.

What if it's a family member he ends up killing? :sad:

youngda9
08-01-2013, 12:20 PM
You might just go knock on his door and ask to borrow a cup of 296.
See what he says. :-)
LOL, that and show him your new trail cam.

jonp
08-01-2013, 01:54 PM
Get a gas tank with a couple of gallons of gas in it along with a pound of sugar and "leave" it on the back porch or next to the sliding glass door. Bet the sugared gas will end up in the thief's gas tank. Just a thought that won't blow anybody up.
Take an empty sugar bag and leave it on the hood of his car with a little baggy of powder or if its an old car leave a can of Comet. He will get the point.
Or you could just ask him.

jonp
08-01-2013, 01:55 PM
You mean I have to dig up all of the landmines?

LynC2
08-01-2013, 02:24 PM
Even though I like the idea of substituting a fast powder for a slow one, I would never do it. Who knows who might wind up with it and there are the legal issues too. I like the game cam idea and catch him red handed. Like the old saying, "a picture is worth a thousand words". :bigsmyl2:

MOcaster
08-01-2013, 02:44 PM
Well, if it is anybody who knows anything about reloading, they should be able to tell the difference between Red Dot and 296. I don't see how putting YOUR powder in a different container is illegal. At the point of it being in your house, you can put it in what you want. And if he sells it to somebody, they are at fault just as much as he because they are buying stolen goods.

BBQJOE
08-01-2013, 04:19 PM
Now if you just want to make him insane, here's what you do.
Go out at night, and pour some used motor oil on the ground under the engine of his car.
Do this at every opportunity you get.
The guy will go bonkers trying to find the leak. Eventually he'll go mad and sell his car. :-)

jonp
08-01-2013, 09:02 PM
Now if you just want to make him insane, here's what you do.
Go out at night, and pour some used motor oil on the ground under the engine of his car.
Do this at every opportunity you get.
The guy will go bonkers trying to find the leak. Eventually he'll go mad and sell his car. :-)
Thats good! A friend of mine used to run a switcher at a JC Penny Distribution Center. One of the guys there used to make fun of his weight so what Dale started doing was getting to work early and shortening the seatbelt in his truck just a little before the guy got there. Drove the guy banana's .

500MAG
08-01-2013, 09:10 PM
This guy was a friend of mine back in the 80's. He got sick of his shop getting broken into and set a booby trap that killed an idiot.
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1986-10-29/news/8603210386_1_prentice-rasheed-deadly-force-grate

blackthorn
08-02-2013, 12:49 PM
Years ago a friend had suspicions that his wife was cheating on him when he was at work on the Graveyard shft. One night he left work, went home and set an old antique bear trap outside the back door. Then he went round to the front, pounded on the door claaing out that he had left his keys somewhere and she should open the door. The guy she was with took off out the back door and stepped into the trap! He got two years, out in 8 months for good behavior. He told me he laughed every day he was in there! Beast thing was that while he was in the bucket she packed up and left!! The point here is whatever you do, be prepared to live with any aftermath.

beefie
08-02-2013, 01:29 PM
what if he loads some ammo with the switched powder and some innocent ends up shooting it, hmm Do you guys have a CLUE how expensive and hard to get powder is these days? Mess up 8 lbs of it, on the odd chance that the thief won't notice? Sheesh.

unique
08-02-2013, 03:19 PM
Call the police and tell them you suspect your neighbor. If he is not a psychopath he'll lie awake every night worried about it. Mental anguish is way worse than physical pain.

gkainz
08-02-2013, 05:18 PM
And then call your neighbor to warn him that there have been thefts in the neighborhood and he should be extra cautious, you know, like a good neighbor would do? Then tell him you've contacted the police.

dakotashooter2
08-02-2013, 05:51 PM
And then call your neighbor to warn him that there have been thefts in the neighborhood and he should be extra cautious, you know, like a good neighbor would do? Then tell him you've contacted the police.

Also tell him you have set some booby traps and "planted" some bad powder in case it happens again......

jonp
08-02-2013, 07:49 PM
Years ago a friend had suspicions that his wife was cheating on him when he was at work on the Graveyard shft. One night he left work, went home and set an old antique bear trap outside the back door. Then he went round to the front, pounded on the door claaing out that he had left his keys somewhere and she should open the door. The guy she was with took off out the back door and stepped into the trap! He got two years, out in 8 months for good behavior. He told me he laughed every day he was in there! Beast thing was that while he was in the bucket she packed up and left!! The point here is whatever you do, be prepared to live with any aftermath.

"hey tell me something, when you punched that guard and got life...was it worth it"?
"Yeah....yeah it was worth it"
The Longest Yard

Mohavedog
08-03-2013, 01:40 PM
IMO, most of us-if not all that frequent this forum have a valuable interest to protect, and that is our "right" to own and possess firearms. Please be careful and think when you decide what to do or-not do when seeking revenge. If you are convicted of a felony you are now a convicted felon and have just lost something that is more valuable than a few possessions, and that is your right to own firearms.
Respectfully, Mohavedog

ReloaderEd
08-03-2013, 01:51 PM
Hey always look at the wife first! At least twss. Be safe!!

BrassMagnet
08-06-2013, 01:41 PM

I suspect this would be classified as a criminal booby trap. Why give a thief ownership of everything you own and all of your future income? I like the non-flashing game camera a lot better. Criminal charges with the thief on camera are so cool!

Recluse
08-06-2013, 10:38 PM
Gun powder in fire wood, mixed gun powder..........can't think of a better way to find ones self in a courtroom facing jail time. Doesn't matter what the reason is, intent to do bodily harm is a crime that will land you in hot water.

Prove it.

Burden of proof would be on the plaintiff. You, the defendant, simply state that you have no idea what the plaintiff is talking about. "What? Gunpowder in the firewood? Which firewood? MY FIREWOOD? Why would I put gunpowder in my firewood? What were you doing with firewood you *thought* was mine? I don't even like you very much so why would I give you any firewood?"

And on an on.

Mixed gunpowder? Again, burden of proof is on the plaintiff. My excuse would be simple: "Well, I dump my old and questionable powders into one big keg, and then when it's full enough, I add it to my fertilizer mix for spreading out on the yard. I never had any intention of it being used in any other way and if the sonofabitch hadn't STOLEN it, he would've have had his face blown off."

:coffee:

41mag
08-07-2013, 05:43 AM
Sorry for your loss. We had some uninvited folks come in and stick around for close to an hour and a half before loading up and leaving. Luckily, somewhat, the next door neighbor got a good look at them and their car. Turned out to be some of the ex's crack head friends. The worst part was they snatched a ring of keys which had the house and both truck keys on it. All we could noticeably find missing was a Dewalt tool set and then later on several custom fishing reels. The responding officer said they were simply taking inventory. Still in all before we knew who it was and they were caught, we had to change all of the locks, plus we had to change out our now broken front door and I added a security system as well. So close to 5K later at least we know we're a bit more secure.

The worst part of the whole deal was, since she didn't actually SEE them in the house, only in my truck outside, all they could charge them with was breaking into the truck. Still in all it was enough that with other offenses they got to stay a while at the states boarding house.

OverMax
08-07-2013, 10:31 AM
Without to much expense involved. Ask someone who has a alarm system already installed in their residence for a couple of their Lawn Warning Signs. That may keep your thief at bay until you invite him in. Then he'll take notice of no magnetic switches installed on your door frames and windows alike. If that were to happen. Warning signs or not he'll then be breaking in again. Than a game camera would come in handy strategically place in his way. Just a suggestion how I would go about this problem and resolve it.

O/M

jonp
08-07-2013, 03:49 PM
My Valley Bulldog loves to play with strangers. Especially when no-one is home.

75lbs of muscle, a mouth that can hold a volleyball and a wicked deep growl will make you rethink your path in life.

nonferrous
08-07-2013, 10:09 PM
Just go with the Trail Cam. Powder and gas cost money, why waste them, not to mention the lawsuits that would come back at you.

oscarflytyer
08-07-2013, 11:23 PM

And make sure it is about 85% Blackpowder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! F)(&+&+(^*+(^+^+^+^+^+*^+&+(*^(+*^!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ford SD
08-08-2013, 10:57 AM
Get a empty keg and fill it with Kitty litter or saw dust

if the person sells it ----> the buyer will know he has been buying junk :holysheep

and nothing there that will go bang to have a lawsuit come back to you as no one will get hurt

2x on the trail cams

dualsport
08-08-2013, 11:25 AM
Funny no one suggested reporting the burglary to the police. The thief may have left fingerprints all over the place. Pretty simple stuff.

kevindtimm
08-08-2013, 02:18 PM
Funny no one suggested reporting the burglary to the police. The thief may have left fingerprints all over the place. Pretty simple stuff.

What's funny is that anybody thinks the police dust for fingerprints ;)

I've been robbed before, it would have been impossible NOT to leave fingerprints and the police just took our information and recommended we call our insurance company.

waksupi
08-08-2013, 03:28 PM
A retired police detective told me this tale of fingerprinting.
One of the local big wigs house had been broken into, and he was insistent that they dust for fingerprints. They tried to dissuade him of the idea, but he was adamant.
The guy had light colored carpet and furniture. By the time they got done with the graphite, things were no longer light colored, and no doubt he had more damage from the fingerprint dusting, than what he lost in the burglary.

turmech
08-08-2013, 03:36 PM
Not to sound cynical or disrespect any LE, but in my experience they don't seem to care much about this type of crime unless you have the smoking gun such as the trail cam pic would be. Now if there was a profit to be made for the local government by catching the bugler I would suspect different. Why else do you think so much more effort is put in to speed traps or seat belt checks then stopping drug dealers or a thief? I will tell you because imprisonment does not pay the system it cost unlike the other things.

Baryngyl
08-08-2013, 03:45 PM
My Sister had her car broken into and her purse stolen, when she asked them about finger printing she was told "Our finger print guy is only here on Tuesdays".

Seems to me the crooks would soon learn that info also and not do anything on Tuesdays.

Michael Grace

cainttype
08-08-2013, 05:54 PM
A very quiet, very intruder aggressive best friend. I'd go with the game camera,too (optimally, HD video)... oughta be hilarious YouTube fodder.

Blackwater
08-08-2013, 10:51 PM
Here's a little story to think about. A friend of mine owns a company that installs expensive stuff in factories, and he keeps it inside a little chain link fence with a std. padlock on the gate. He'd hired a young man recently, and he knew the stuff inside was expensive, so he asked my friend, "What's to keep someone from cutting the lock and making off with all this stuff?" My buddy shot him a dirty look, and simply answered "My reputation." Of course, this was in a small town, and he DID have a rather merciless reputation toward those who wronged him, and he wasn't scared of the devil himself, which is also widely known there. Sometimes what you ARE is simply more effective than anything you can DO. In larger, more impersonal venues, this would be mighty hard to achieve, though. Still, it's worth thinking about, if real thinking hasn't gone out of style in your neck of the woods.

oscarflytyer
08-08-2013, 11:24 PM
Blackwater - gotta love this. I HOPE I have this reputation as well, as I am pretty open about what I have with those that I consider friends. But lie to me or steal from me and all bets are off. I can be a real prick. AND I can hold a grudge, and take my sweet *** time to get even. The law can't be anywhere near as nasty as I can...

Nevada Jack
09-30-2013, 12:24 AM
I like the way you think!

Hard to prove intent with items on your property. Fire wood was bought from some guy that came by, he stacked it, I paid and he left. The tree might have some civil war stuff grown into it.
With the legal system as it is, if I had to shoot a creep in my house I would wrap the body in plastic and haul it a thousand miles to dump.
I might like bear traps as a hobby and if a creep gets in one, tough.
It is still my property and no one is allowed on it without permission. My home is my castle, stay out.
If I have a pit bull that tears a creep to pieces, how is that different then a trap or looking down my .500 revolver?
Liberals have given criminals more rights then victims. Not here on my property.

gwpercle
09-30-2013, 01:26 PM
Sorry about your having a thief next door...If I ran the world thieves would be nailed to a barn door. If you can set him up and get it on a camera that's proof that can't be denied in court.