PDA

View Full Version : Israeli Mauser

Four Fingers of Death
08-18-2005, 07:23 AM
My mate gave me one of these. He got it for free with a couple of other rifles when an old gun dealer retired. He had a sale and when he finally closed up he rang his best half dozen customers up and gave them about four rifles each to get rid of the last of his stock. He also gave them the rest of the odds and ends which were left. My mate got a bunch of 22 ammo, odds and sods of centrefire ammo, a couple of cleaning rods, lots of brushes, and odds and ends, etc. None of the rifles were real valuable, but there were two military rifles, both 303 SMLEs, a post 64 Mod70 with a 3-9 Burris scope and a sporterised israeli. It is in pretty good nick, with a 4x power cheap scope. The mounts must have moved, because they are welded to the rear reciever! They ain't going nowhere now. It will make a reasonable lead boolit rifle. I will see if I can round up some furniture for it. If I find the right gear, I will dremel off the mounts, paint them green and throw them in the grass.

Good for free anyway!

Herb in Pa
08-18-2005, 09:43 PM
My mate gave me one of these. He got it for free with a couple of other rifles when an old gun dealer retired. He had a sale and when he finally closed up he rang his best half dozen customers up and gave them about four rifles each to get rid of the last of his stock. He also gave them the rest of the odds and ends which were left. My mate got a bunch of 22 ammo, odds and sods of centrefire ammo, a couple of cleaning rods, lots of brushes, and odds and ends, etc. None of the rifles were real valuable, but there were two military rifles, both 303 SMLEs, a post 64 Mod70 with a 3-9 Burris scope and a sporterised israeli. It is in pretty good nick, with a 4x power cheap scope. The mounts must have moved, because they are welded to the rear reciever! They ain't going nowhere now. It will make a reasonable lead boolit rifle. I will see if I can round up some furniture for it. If I find the right gear, I will dremel off the mounts, paint them green and throw them in the grass.

Good for free anyway!
Can;t beat the price!!!!!!!!!!!

Buckshot
08-25-2005, 03:20 AM
..........So! Have you shot it yet?

Welded on rear scope base! Ha! Reminds me of a wisdom my dad uttered in passing one day. We'd bought a horse tailer and were going to put in a new floor and make a few minor changes. I was standing there looking at the feed bunker door which I was needing to remove. Dad was walking by and came over and asked what was up.

I pointed out the door hinges had been welded on, and was fairly disgusted. Dad, being the insightfull person he is, said before walking away, "You know, people with welders do things like that."

.............Buckshot

carpetman
08-25-2005, 12:45 PM
Buckshot---You and your dad bought a horse tailer. Tell me more. Did you wear a blind fold and pin it on? Did you have to do surgery. Could any of the techniques you used tailing horses be used for male pattern baldness?

Scrounger
08-25-2005, 01:00 PM
Buckshot---You and your dad bought a horse tailer. Tell me more. Did you wear a blind fold and pin it on? Did you have to do surgery. Could any of the techniques you used tailing horses be used for male pattern baldness?

I think what he's trying to ask, in his own obtuse way, is, can you transport sheep in it?

waksupi
08-25-2005, 03:35 PM
Ray, you must not be familiar with apaloosa horses. You need a horse tailer for them, so they have enough tail, to swat flies with.

Scrounger
08-25-2005, 03:42 PM
Ray, you must not be familiar with apaloosa horses. You need a horse tailer for them, so they have enough tail, to swat flies with.

Ric, you can understand his confusion. Sheep don't appear to have much of a tail in the pictures I have seen of them. Never actually met one up close.

waksupi
08-25-2005, 04:05 PM
Ric, you can understand his confusion. Sheep don't appear to have much of a tail in the pictures I have seen of them. Never actually met one up close.

I hate to plead any knowledge of it, but lambs are born with a long tail. You have to dock them. Ray invented that, so he could get closer.

I'll inquire of our guys in Australia and New Zealand. Isn't a docked sheep called a daggy tail down there?

"Here we are, in New South Wales,
Shearing sheep as big as whales,
With leather necks and daggy tails,
And hides as tough as rusty nails."

wills
08-25-2005, 09:54 PM
http://www.sheepmagazine.com/issues/current.html

http://www.producersandcargile.com/Default.htm

Urny
08-25-2005, 11:16 PM
I kind of admire that song, Ric. My only recorded version is by Tommy Makem and the Clancy Brothers, on an old LP record. Do you have other or others?

waksupi
08-25-2005, 11:54 PM
Urny, I used to have quite a bit of Clancy Bros, but don't know what become of the tapes over the years. I used to do quite a few of the songs, and still do some of them from time to time, whenever I fall in with the 69th Irish Poltroons.