PDA

View Full Version : Rain drops keep falling on my head

gray wolf
10-10-2007, 10:58 AM
I should know this but I am pushing the envelope so I thought I would ask.
It seems every other day wants to rain. Some day's just overcast, I get up look at the sky and get an ugly look on my face and have an instant personality change.
The wife has said she was going to take our last 20 bucks and install a sun lamp on the deck.
I know enough not to cast in the rain. My ? is if a couple of rain drops hit the pot before I can get it covered will it explode. Or just sizzle ?
Water in the mix is a No, No thats simple. So what about casting outside if it might sprinkle a little?

:coffee:

crowbuster
10-10-2007, 11:05 AM
death from above[smilie=1:

monadnock#5
10-10-2007, 11:23 AM
Many moons ago I spoke with a guy who told me that when casting boolits, he always cast outside and always wore a sweat band, as one drop of sweat in a pot of molten lead was a sure recipe for ruining a whole day.

redneckdan
10-10-2007, 11:28 AM
if water is ON TOP of the melt it will just fizzle and dance around until it evaporates, the pressure built by the steam goes directly into the atmosphere. The "dance of the tinsle ferry" starts when you get water down inside the melt. The pressure builds and has no where to go but up, out and into your lap.

beagle
10-10-2007, 11:38 AM
I'll go along with redneckdan.

If the drops are small....and they stay on top of the surface....all you get is sizzle and the droplets run around on top until they dissipate. But get the least amount under that surface and you got trouble right here in River City.

If you just got to cast, make a hood out of sheet metal to completely cover the pot and if it starts coming down, place a piece of sheet metal over the melt and cease operations. /beagle

NVcurmudgeon
10-10-2007, 11:39 AM
Last weekend I went camping with Nevada Duke and his son, Wheelman. They were still reminiscing about the time the son tossed an earwig into the father's lead pot, and that was more than 35 years ago! By all accounts it was one of the tinsel fairy's greatest monents.

BruceB
10-10-2007, 11:44 AM
Normally, a drop of moisture will simply bounce around on top of the melt until it evaporates.

I tested this under controlled conditions a few years ago, dropping dozens of water drops from about one-foot altitude onto 800-degree alloy. No explosions or eruptions occurred, and I don't think that a drop of sweat from a "fevered brow" will be a problem.

HOWEVER....I would be VERY leery of having raindrops falling into the pot, because the velocity of the free-falling water will be MUCH higher than drops originating from one's face or quenching bucket. The speed may well be sufficent to cause the drop to get into or below the melt's surface, and if that should occur........well, we all know what happens next.

By a strange co-incidence, just this morning a poster on the S&W forum is trying to identify a 'raindrop song' he heard playing on the radio of an early Thunderbird at a car show. When I saw this thread's title, I thought he'd come over here for more assistance.

kodiak1
10-10-2007, 04:24 PM
Here is another curve to this question.
What if you were a bottom pourer and had a thick old mess of dross or catlitter floating on top?
As far as the rain drop I think but not sure if it was a light rain it would be all right but if she was a cloud burst a fella could be worse for wear in a heart beat.
Gray wolf can you put up a tarpand work under it?
Good Luck Ken.

DanM
10-10-2007, 04:44 PM
How about sending some of that rain over my way? Have forgotten what it looks like here in NC.

testhop
10-10-2007, 05:05 PM
i have had a for a better word e xpolion when i put some very lightly moist lead with some range sand it blew hot lead all over a large table and me shirt and pantsgot most of the blow out i just got a small spot on my hand it went downthe top of my glove i was verrry lucky so now i check several weather reports andhave a cover handy it could bea garbage
cans or the cans lids and run

targetshootr
10-10-2007, 05:17 PM
Yes, we would be willing to dig a trench to wherever that wet stuff is. We have parked our boats and drive trucks to chase fishies.

floodgate
10-10-2007, 08:07 PM
Bruce B:

"Raindrops keep fallin' on my head..." from "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid", reprised in "Forrest Gump"?

Doug

gray wolf
10-10-2007, 09:09 PM
Well I just got back in, sorry I have not been back to the thread.
I found an old tarp and some poles and erected a little head cover and it worked out fine.
I ain't about to go against the advice on this board and a hot stream of lead was not in my plans.
Advice given advice taken.

thanks guys