PDA

View Full Version : I'm at my wits end with this...

dmclark523
07-28-2013, 06:11 PM
I've been all around trying to make this work and try as I might, I am just fed up with trying to load for my 7.62x39 AK.

My barrel miked out at .313, (good ol' milsurp!) a little bigger than 7.62x39's ought to be. Got myself a gas checked
mold from Tom over at Accurate (Link to specific diagram (http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=31-125B-D.png)), and now I'm still scratching my head.

I ordered the mold at .314, drops EXACTLY at that. Finally excited, going to load today, and guess what?

I went to seat it in my die, and when I pulled the ram back down, all I saw was my gas check, stuck in the case neck. My checks are
crimped on, and fit really snug. I open my seating die up and see the bullet stuck in the top. Took me several minutes to punch it out.

[smilie=b:

I really could use some advice if any of you have any...

detox
07-28-2013, 06:23 PM
Was the boolit stuck to the top of seater stem or inside the neck part of seater die. Are you using AK dies?

dmclark523
07-28-2013, 06:32 PM
To clarify, my bullets are getting stuck up IN the seating die, up at the top of the stem, NOT the neck part.

detox
07-28-2013, 06:37 PM
You could be seating boolit too deep (hitting powder) causing boolit to stick onto seater stem. Back seater stem out more then gradually seat boolit...small steps until seated.

Back off powder charge

detox
07-28-2013, 06:40 PM
Boolit should fall thru seater die (seater stem removed) with no resistance

freebullet
07-28-2013, 06:45 PM
I had that happen on 9mm cases a few times. Turns out the boolit was getting cocked to the side just enough that it would go wonky & get stuck in the die. Also had a few cases where the expander die expanded the mouth crooked(cases too hard). That allowed the boolit to get forced in the die wonky & stick.

dmclark523
07-28-2013, 09:37 PM
I think I over-expanded the case. Because it is mil-surp and because it was .002 bigger, I couldn't get boolits to seat without shaving lead, so I invested in a Lyman M die.

Anyway, I finally was able to make it work, but had to really adjust my seating die....

geargnasher
07-28-2013, 09:44 PM
Your seater die is designed for smaller boolits. The boolit is wedging in the crimp shoulder. Hone it out with sandpaper and a dowel rod until the boolit no longer sticks.

Gear

44man
07-29-2013, 08:03 AM
Gear has the answer. Dies are made for jacketed that are smaller.
I see it all the time with the extra crimp dies that are too small for a boolit to go through, they can also size the brass down over the boolit.

Wayne Smith
07-29-2013, 08:13 AM
Brand of seat die??