PDA

View Full Version : citric acid cleaner???

bhop
07-28-2013, 05:54 PM
Will the citric acid / dish soap mix be ok to use in an ultrasonic cleaner to clean barrels in?

Jeff Michel
07-28-2013, 06:11 PM
Probably strip the bluing off your barrel. Acid of any type and black oxide do not mix.

bhop
07-28-2013, 06:23 PM
My barrel isn't blued. Cz2075 rami. Semiauto

williamwaco
07-28-2013, 06:53 PM
I don't think it is a good idea.

It might help with powder fouling and bullet lube but I don't think it will have any affect on lead or copper fouling.

MtGun44
07-28-2013, 11:11 PM
Reverses oxidation - and bluing is oxidation, so that would be bad. No real
advantage, and possible disadvantages, I would not do it for fear of doing some
chemical damage that had not been foreseen.

Bill

bhop
07-29-2013, 12:34 AM
That's exactly why I asked you guys. I saw that someone makes a cleaning solution anyone have any suggestions on what I could use?

gray wolf
07-29-2013, 02:02 PM
What are you trying to remove ???
Makes answering a lot easier.

MtGun44
07-29-2013, 03:40 PM
Dab of dish soap to cut grease and oil is probably all you need for normal cleaning.

Bill

bhop
07-29-2013, 06:08 PM
im just wanting to clean gun parts in the ultrasonic cleaner once i get back home and was online looking at some gun parts websites and the ultrasonic cleaners they say will fit x amount of pistol frames and was wondering what liquid would be used to clean them to get carbon and lead/copper deposits out

blpenn66502
07-29-2013, 06:42 PM
Lyman sell's a separate cleaning solution for steel and gun parts for use in their ultrasonic cleaners. They warn not to use their cartridge cleaner solution for steel items.

MtGun44
07-29-2013, 09:00 PM
Copper needs ammonia to remove it, so dump a cap or two full of ammonia in with the
dish soap. Carbon needs a stronger solvent, so maybe you can find some d-limonene
and a suitable surfactant to get it to mix with water. Probably smarter to find a commercial
product. If you want to avoid hydrocarbon solvents find a degreaser with d-limonene, a biodegradable
and safe degreaser made from citrus peels.

Better still, buy a commercial degreaser with this, although it is expensive, like
$50 a gallon. OR - mix up some Stoddard Solvent or Mineral Spirits and a
few ounces of ATF and use that for a whole lot less money.

Bill

Jeff Michel
07-30-2013, 04:24 AM
I've never used mineral spirits in an ultrasonic cleaner but I don't see why it would be a problem. I generally use MS and a toothbrush followed by air to dry things a bit. Same thing as Hoppe's #9 just doesn't smell good. FWIW, I have found that ultrasonic cleaners work best with a mild trisodium phosphate, a dab of Dawn dish detergent and water. Be sure that you blow all the water out, spray lube generously and blow off the oil with air, the oil will be forced in and displace any water over looked.

bhop
07-31-2013, 01:53 PM
Interesting, my wife is supposed to be released from the hospital today so I may just have to try that out tomorrow