PDA

View Full Version : Surplus boolit accuracy?

bangerjim
07-28-2013, 01:16 PM
I recently acquired a VERY large amount of "scrap" boolits. Many pounds of never fired 38's and 45's in Pb alloy. After cleaning, they are like brand new.

Also in the mix were many, MANY pounds of jacketed slugs in 38 and 45 that have been fired but are in ~99% new condition. These have very thick jackets, thicker than any of the ones I have bought new in the past several years. They are all standard weights. I have no idea what they were fired into but the noses and bodies are not distorted at all. All j's I have seen are splattered to Hades and are only good for smelting the soft lead out of them.

Here is my question.......these j's have very...very slight rifling grooves in them. Will those grooves cause problems with reloading them? I am not looking for 300 yard accuracies or competition shooting. I just want to send them down the range and hit targets at up to 75-100 feet.

Also in there were 500 brand new 30-06 j boat-tail slugs and 300 38 soft point J's!

Please share your thoughts!

Thanks,

bangerjim

Bzcraig
07-28-2013, 01:23 PM
Can't answer your question but congratulations on a great find!

Tatume
07-28-2013, 01:49 PM
Can't answer your question, but you can! Try them, they won't hurt your gun.

dondiego
07-28-2013, 02:34 PM
I have shot slugs recovered from a snow bank after it melted. The only thing that I could see wrong with them was the rifling marks on them. I just loaded them back up and they put holes in many cans!

WILCO
07-28-2013, 03:01 PM
"Scrap" is called just that for a reason. Why waste powder and primers on it? Make every shot count, even if it's for fun.

mroliver77
07-28-2013, 04:05 PM
That is the real meaning of REloading. lol
I have shot recovered boolits and reshot them with no ill effects and decent accuracy.

I vote to give it a go.
Jay

mikeym1a
07-28-2013, 06:34 PM
'FOUND MONEY'!!! Well, in this case boolits. But, same thing in practice. I hate to waste anything. I have at time re-shot bullets. They worked! If they look good, shot 'em!!

:bigsmyl2:

gimling
07-28-2013, 09:34 PM
can you post some pictures of these? would like to see what you mean by rifle grooves.

dilly
07-31-2013, 01:20 PM
I think this is one of those things where only the guy with the product in his hand can answer the question. Of course you will have to assure they are in spec and determine what data to use, but I bet you'll be fine. I wouldn't get too lenient on the qc, though, as Wilco says primers and powder are at stake!