PDA

View Full Version : Good day with Lyman 45

Keith Sacane
07-28-2013, 01:20 AM
I posted here a couple of years ago about my father's old Lyman 45 that I found. I finally got it working yesterday, and sized 350-400 358429's I had sitting on the shelf. Folks here on the forum told me that I would probably like it, and they were right. This machine works well. I think it suits my needs just right. A Harbor Freight heat gun got rid of all the old lube. I went to the local gunstore, and they didn't have any soft bullet lube. The shop owner called across the room to another one of his customers asking where he thought I could find some, and the gentleman said, " I have 100 sticks or so at home." "You're welcome to a couple to start out." Thanks to his generosity and the information on this forum, I got the sizer going. We had a great conversation about casting, and I got to meet someone else in my town that appreciates casting. It just goes to show you the caliber of person that's involved in casting. Now, it's time to order some from White Label. Just thought I'd share.

ultramag
07-28-2013, 08:04 AM
Very neat you found your Dad's old sizer and even better you have it up and running now. I just got a couple old Lyman 45's up and running that I bought from a member here a couple months back as well. Sized my first hundred boolits with one of them last night. I agree that it is an oldie, but a goody still.

Boyscout
07-30-2013, 05:44 PM
Dittos. I ran about 50 Lee 452 200 SWC through mine and am very pleased. Mine belonged to my grandfather and hadn't been used since 1976 or longer. To tag on: Can you seat a gas check on one of these? I have some Lee 312-185 2R for the Mosin I would like to try in it since I have the sizing die and nose punch.

Pooch
07-30-2013, 05:58 PM
I have two #45's & wouldn't trade them for anything. Love 'em!

Rod B
07-30-2013, 06:13 PM
I have a Lyman 45, it is a pleasure to use.

Pooch
07-30-2013, 06:25 PM
I have a part number from McMaster-Carr for a replacement return spring for the #45 if any of you need it. It's a little bit stronger spring but works well. The only issue is that you have to buy them by the pack of 6. But . . . It's still cheap even with shipping.

mroliver77
07-30-2013, 08:43 PM
Sure can seat checks with it.
J

Dittos. I ran about 50 Lee 452 200 SWC through mine and am very pleased. Mine belonged to my grandfather and hadn't been used since 1976 or longer. To tag on: Can you seat a gas check on one of these? I have some Lee 312-185 2R for the Mosin I would like to try in it since I have the sizing die and nose punch.

Keith Sacane
07-30-2013, 11:30 PM
Today, my 5 and 8 year old nieces wanted to run the 45, so i showed them how it worked, and I operated the ratchet, and they sized bullets. After a few, they did well.