PDA

View Full Version : Small Tumbler recommendation

jeff423
07-27-2013, 06:47 PM
I'm looking for a small vibratory tumbler. I've got a Dillon now but I would like something to just do a small number of cases. I am looking at the Lyman Turbo 600. Is there anything else out there?

Thanks,

Jeff

dudel
07-27-2013, 07:36 PM
Avoid the Smartreloader Nano like the plague it is. Great idea; terrible execution

07-27-2013, 08:15 PM
Midway usa I've had one or theirs for 20 years

shadowcaster
07-27-2013, 08:17 PM
Avoid the Smartreloader Nano like the plague it is. Great idea; terrible execution

Not everyone has had this experience..

For small batches it works great. I think too many people try to overload it!

Shad

glockky
07-27-2013, 09:54 PM
I will also say stay away from the smart reloader and me and a friend of mine both had ours melt down and was on the verge of catching fire. I now have a frankfort arsenal I picked up from midway when they had them on sale. It been a great tumbler I use it alot and does a good job with the new media I picked up at zoro tools

ValorsMinion
07-28-2013, 07:27 AM
I have a lyman 1200 pro... its quiet and works for around $50. Plus the slits on the lid are a nice touch. You can just hold it upside down over a box while it is on and all the media will work its way out.

500MAG
07-28-2013, 07:38 AM
I have a lyman 1200 pro... its quiet and works for around $50. Plus the slits on the lid are a nice touch. You can just hold it upside down over a box while it is on and all the media will work its way out.
+1 on this. Right now the Lyman 1200 is on sale running the same price as the 600. May as well get the bigger one.

lightman
07-28-2013, 09:41 AM
You did not say which Dillon that you have, but Dillon makes both a large and a small model. I like my large ones enough that I would buy their small one if I needed it. Lots of good suggestions above about other choices.

I'm personally going the other direction, that is larger. I just ordered a Tumbler from Biggdawg. It probably shipped Friday, and I will start a thread about it next week. Lightman

shadowcaster
07-28-2013, 10:18 AM
I'm personally going the other direction, that is larger. I just ordered a Tumbler from Biggdawg. It probably shipped Friday, and I will start a thread about it next week. Lightman

For a large tumbler I bought the harbor freight 18 pound capacity model. It does a LOT of brass, is quiet and does an excellent job.

Shad

Shedhunter
07-28-2013, 11:07 AM
I have the Hornady tumbler and for doing smaller amounts of brass it works great. It comes with a screen top so you can separate the media from brass.

Olevern
07-28-2013, 02:52 PM
I'd go with the RCBS as if you buy theirs you will only buy once.

mdevlin53
07-28-2013, 04:14 PM
Never thought of holding my Lymanupside down while it was running to separate the media. I tried it twice since I read this post it even worked on some 223 I was cleaning for a friend. great idea.

possom813
07-28-2013, 04:27 PM
I've done that with the 1200 for a while, the dumping it upside down. I started out doing it by unplugging it and shaking it, and then had the 'duh' moment where I realized I could leave it on.

A couple of things to add for the Lyman 1200. I've cut up an old sheet or pillow case, I forget now, that's a bit bigger than the top and poked a hole in the middle of it so I can hang it over the stud that pokes through and it drapes around the sides and covers the lid. I've found it keeps the dust down to almost nothing.

Also, I dug up a 3 gallon bucket that the diameter is large enough for the tumbler to sit it, and I dump the media into it and then set the tumbler on top of it and slide it under my table when I'm not using it.

I also picked up another cheap sheet and when I start to dump the media, I toss the sheet over everything and hold onto the tumbler through the sheet while it's separating the media back into the bucket. Just another easy way to keep the dust down.