PDA

View Full Version : J. C. Penney Parker-Hale 1200?

greenwart
07-26-2013, 12:28 PM
I kept picking up a Parke-Hale that had been sitting in the back room stack of rifles at the gun shop for a few months. I finally asked what the price was and bought it. It has a walnut stock and the bluing is 95%. It looks like a great 30-06 rifle and has a nice feel. The only comment about the J.C. Penney model is that someone received one as a gift in the 60's and the price was $169.99. Any experience with these rifles.? Sorry Camera phone Pic. I can't seem to find the battery charger for the camera.

Bob

pietro
07-26-2013, 02:17 PM

I have a Euro-only P-H Safari Model in .30-06 from the late 50's which was brought back to the US, taken down & in a GI dufflebag.

(upper rifle, below)

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd30/Pete44ru/Boltguns-1-1.jpg

The Model 1200 was a later issue IIRC, sometime in the late 60's-early 70's - but they were both basically modified Mauser Model 98's.

Mine has the P-H integral scope dovetails atop the receiver ring & bridge, which accept P-H Roll-Off rings, and has the military-style thumb cut in the rear of the LH receiver sidewall (which IIRC the later 1200's didn't have).

Your's might have an adj trigger (mine doesn't); and I hope it's as accurate as mine has proved to be. (easily an MOA shooter when I do my part).

AFAIK, Jana Imports (CO) was the one of the importers of the Model 1200's from England; Navy Arms was the other - but NavyArms also made them in VA as Gibbs Rifles in the 1990's.

Larry Gibson
07-26-2013, 04:23 PM
Owned one and have helped develop loads for several others. They are very good commercial M98 Mauser actions. All shot very well.

Larry Gibson

waksupi
07-26-2013, 07:39 PM
Pretty much all of the "hardware store" Mausers of that period were manufactured by FN.

Zim
07-26-2013, 11:04 PM
Looking at a P-H Safari in 30-06 for $400 at a local shop. I'd believe mid 50's with a monte carlo stock & lighter wood fore end cap on a flat fore end. Trying to figure out if they are any good too. Sounds like 2 are shooters.

RustyReel
07-27-2013, 09:38 AM
I have a couple of FN Mauser based rifles but do not have a Parker-Hale. It would have gone home with me the FIRST time I picked it up!! I think they are beautiful rifles.

BruceB
07-27-2013, 06:44 PM
Over my decades in Canada, I saw MANY different Parker Hale rifles. Without exception, they were sound value-for-money, from my $9.99 #1MkIII to my $600 Musketoon.

I have seen them built on:

-#1 Enfields

-#4 Enfields

P14 "Enfields"

M1917 "Enfields"

1903 Springfields

'98 military Mausers

-SPORTING Mausers, with no thumb-slot, and having bent bolt, side safeties, sporting floorplate etc etc. These were mostly on "Santa Barbara" actions.

I NEVER saw a P-H built on an FN action, although plenty of other 'brands' used them. It's apparent that they used any action from which they thought a few bucks could reasonably be made.

greenwart
07-29-2013, 10:03 AM
Thanks for all the input. It looks like the only thing to do is free float the barrel, which doesn't need much, since it is only touching in one small spot near the forend. It may need bedding , but I will wait until I have shot it a while to see if it needs it. I took the receiver off and there were no makings as to what type of reciever it is(FN, Santa Barbara) just the British proof marks. It has the adjustable trigger which I am not going to adjust since it feel right as is.
It is amazing to me how a rifle could be that old and virtually never shot. My friend Wayne said the he has had the same box of ammo for the past several years. He takes one or two sighting shots to see that it is still sighted in the shoot one dear a year. At that rate a box of ammo will last 6-8 years and no appreciable wear on the rifle. Kind of like only having sex on your anniversary.

Bob

ridurall
08-02-2013, 03:07 PM
In 1969 my father gave me the same Parker Hale 1200 30-06 for my 13th birthday. I shot my first doe with it at 225 yards with open sights. I remember Dad calling it a "Weatherby class rifle" for what ever that means. I think it was just because of the looks. I figure someday when my 12 year old son out grows his Ruger Compact .243 I'll give him the Parker Hale. I'm more of a .308 fan these days but since I just lost my father 2 months ago I don't think I'll ever let this Parker Hale get out of the family. I've got Dad's M1 Garand and his 03A3 also that I'll never sell. He made it to age 91 and he and mom were married 71 years. I sure miss him.

Lloyd Smale
08-02-2013, 03:56 PM
I had a parker hale 243 from the late 70s and it was hands down the best shooting 243 ive ever shot 3/4 inch 5 shot groups were the norm and it shot about anything well. So much so that id recomend before you even bed it you shoot yours and see how it shoots.