PDA

View Full Version : Case neck tension ?

30calpal
07-26-2013, 11:31 AM
Since there is not a 'Reloading' section, I guess this place is where this question should go. Reloading cast for 45-70. 460-350 from group buy. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna need a custom expander stem. My first loads resembled an old Coke bottle ! There seems to be a lot more effort in seating a bullet than should be. I'm concerned that the case may be undersizing my boolits. Also, I'd like advice about roll crimping or collet crimping. Is this necessary if there is enough neck tension? How much is enough? Thanks. Oh, I suppose I should say the gun is a Marlin Guide, moderate to mod + loads for hunting.

Tatume
07-26-2013, 12:47 PM
The first thing you should do is shoot some of the ammo you have already prepared. If it is up to your accuracy standards, then you shouldn't change it.

Regarding crimp, it depends on your bullet and load. My brother and I both load bullets that have no crimping groove, and we do not crimp. Our bullets are not pushed deeper into the case while cartridges are in the magazine, indicating there is no need for a crimp. Load your magazine and fire several shots, leaving the last two cartridges in the magazine. When done, examine those cartridges. If the bullets have not moved, then you need no crimp.

In summary, don't fix it until you know if it is broken.

Take care, Tom

Tatume
07-26-2013, 01:06 PM
Another thing; you don't say whether your cases are new and previously unfired. If so, you may find that future reloadings do not exhibit as much bulge as you're seeing now.

303Guy
07-27-2013, 04:39 AM
Wouldn't it be prudent to examine each cartridge for boolit set back? Set back would raise chamber pressure would it not?

Tatume
07-27-2013, 07:22 AM
Wouldn't it be prudent to examine each cartridge for boolit set back? Set back would raise chamber pressure would it not?

The Guide Gun has a four-shot magazine. If the last two cartridges are examined for set back that means at most three shots were fired in the test. Set back will be slight, if it occurs at all. I expect there will be none.

Also, the OP says his loads are "moderate to mod +," so even if the bullets migrate, pressure would probably be less than max.

Take care, Tom

big dale
07-27-2013, 07:33 AM
For the past four decades I find that most of my problems in reloading have been fixed with very careful die adjustment. When I think I have that nailed down I smoke a case and chamber it to see what the rub marks tell me. It is a pain in the butt it works for me.

Have fun with this stuff.

Big Dale

44man
07-27-2013, 07:58 AM
A lot of good advise. True a rifle does not need all that tension and a mild crimp will hold boolits in a tube. A single shot needs little tension and no crimp.
I would say keep enough tension for a tube as long as you don't size the boolit and since the best for hunting is a softer boolit you need to check things.