PDA

View Full Version : Need some Ford fixing advice on power steering system

frkelly74
07-25-2013, 02:32 PM
My old Windstar with 210,000 miles on it started leaking steering fluid a while ago and it looked like the seals were leaking at the passenger side end. So I bought a rack and pinion assembly and undertook to replace it. While I was under there I also replaced the pressure side hose with a new one. Working off and on for 2 1/2 days I managed to get it apart and back together again. So now the steering is noisy and jerky. I am wondering what I might have done wrong. There was one glitch when I was taking it apart, a small metal cap fell into the pan and I was not sure where it came from. I came to believe that it was a regulator or flow restrictor and check valve from the pressure side connection and found that it fit very well in the tower where the pressure line connected. I went to the dealer and asked if they had a schematic of how things were supposed to go together and they looked up the parts on their computer and all it showed was assemblies and no detail. The parts guy sent me to the service guy and they were not too helpful either but said that it sounded pretty reasonable that there might be a flow restrictor on the pressure side. It did fit in there nicely. So, now I am throwing this out to see if some of you who know Fords can at least tell me where to get a nice exploded picture that shows the connections and if there is indeed a restriction and possibly shows the orientation of it. I attempted to bleed the system as prescribed in my Haynes Book and the noise and jerkiness got less but have not gone away.I learn a lot every time I tear into that old car. Quite often it is what not to do. Thank You for your trouble.

It's a 2003 Ford Windstar. We have named it Old Windy.

frkelly74
07-25-2013, 03:47 PM
A second question, the fluid? The owners manual says use Mercron ATF , The parts store gave me Power Steering fluid. I saw that it wasn't what was called for and put in some DEXMERC that I had instead, figuring that it was universal trans fluid. It seems really foamy in the reservoir after running the engine. Can this the problem? I can change that easily enough.

35isit
07-25-2013, 05:16 PM
A second question, the fluid? The owners manual says use Mercron ATF , The parts store gave me Power Steering fluid. I saw that it wasn't what was called for and put in some DEXMERC that I had instead, figuring that it was universal trans fluid. It seems really foamy in the reservoir after running the engine. Can this the problem? I can change that easily enough.

You say the fluid is foamy. Try raising front end off of ground and turning from lock to lock. You have air in the system. It is hard to get out with tires on ground. Also try letting it run for a while with wheels turned all the way to the left.

You didn't give a year model or I would have tried looking on Ford's computerized service manual for the little "cap" you said fell out. I did try a couple of year models and you were correct it only shows assemblies on parts catalog.

Hope this helps. Greg parts guy at Wildcat Ford

seagiant
07-25-2013, 07:29 PM
Hi,
I have an old 89 F-150 that I work on and keep up. There are a couple of FORD only forums that you could join and they can help a LOT more than people here! A lot of retired mechanics that enjoy helping DIY guys! Good luck!

Smitty's Retired
07-25-2013, 08:21 PM
35isit is correct. You really need to have the wheels off the ground when trying to bleed the air out turning the wheels. It sounds like you could still have air in the system. It will also make the pump sound extremly noisey while turning.

waksupi
07-25-2013, 08:37 PM
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php

s mac
07-25-2013, 08:53 PM
I am a ford tech, although I don't work on many windstars. I am fairly sure the part you describe does indeed go in the location you describe, the pressure port on the rack. any of the fluids you speak of should be ok, it does sound like you have air in the fluid, others have given you good advice, I would add to only run the eng for a short time turning the wheels shut it off and allow the air bubbles to clear in the reservoir, repeat until fluid is not foaming.

lylejb
07-25-2013, 09:32 PM
The "cap" is indeed a flow restrictor. You are correct that it goes inside the high pressure port on the rack, and is held in place by the hose. It is, however, normal for this to fall out when the hose in removed ( usually did for me). Your new rack should have had a new one staked in place inside the port. Ford new or reman racks did, which is why the parts dept couldn't find it, (considered an internal part of the rack and pinion assy) If you used an aftermarket rack, who knows if it was there or not, you would just have to look.

The growl / whine noise is air in the P/s system. You didn't say what year your windstar is, but I remember ford updated the pressure hose for ( IIRC) 99 and up to add a "muffler/ dampener" This is a metal can like chamber in the line, about 1 1/2 inches by 3 inches long. Unfortunatly, this can will trap air in the line, and can be difficult to clear.

one trick we did, (last resort) was to take a spare p/s reservoir cap, drill a hole thru it, and epoxy a small fitting to it. we would then attach a vacuum pump, and draw a vacuum in the p/s reservoir( car running). This helped to clear the air out of the system.

It was strange, however, not every windstar that got the new hose had this problem. some would clear fine, some wanted to fight. there was no pattern to it.

ATF dextron 3 / mercon is ok for this P/S, it's what we used at the dealership.

good luck

frkelly74
07-26-2013, 07:50 AM
Awesome. I knew I would get good advice. Thank You. Wheels up, Running at short intervals and letting the air bubbles clear out seems to be improving things. The hose that was on the system had no noise reduction can so I got the one without it to replace the old one when they offered me the choice. By the way, I am not getting any leakage. Whoo-hoo!

Another question, What does the switch control that is on the pressure line? Just curious on this. And Thanks to everyone!!!

s mac
07-26-2013, 08:57 AM
the switch sends information to the pcm[ poewertrain control module] to boost idle speed when steering.

dagger dog
07-26-2013, 09:05 AM
That switch closes on low speed turns, parking etc., and tells the computer to boost the engine rpm to compensate for the drag of the ps pump.

Check the reservoir SOME not ALL of them have a fine screen in them between the return and supply sides and with time can plug up and won't deliver enough flow to the rack and pump, making it howl from lack of lubrication.

They are almost impossible to clean, the screen is molded between the upper and lower halves of the reservoir during manufacturing.

If the screen is plugged you can take a Phillips screwdriver and punch a few holes in it, that will let it flow, if it was indeed plugged the noise will go away and the air will purge fast.

Smitty's Retired
07-26-2013, 09:17 AM
Another question, What does the switch control that is on the pressure line? Just curious on this. And Thanks to everyone!!!

It is usually called the power steering pressure switch. The switch will send a signal to the PCM(computer) when the power steering is under a load such as turning to the max or slow movement maneuvers, it will send a signal to the pcm to compensate the engines rpm to keep the engine from bogging down. It will also trip a chck engine light on some models if constant high or low pressure is read through the switch to the pcm. On some newer models it will also cause the pcm to produce an error code.

frkelly74
07-26-2013, 11:24 AM
Old Windy is all better!!! Thanks for the info and encouragement.

10x
07-27-2013, 10:37 AM
Bought a new Ford Ranger in 1998. After 65,000 miles it needs its 3rd power steering pump and it's sixth set of brakes.
It has used a quart of oil per 1000 miles ever since it was brand new - the dealer said it just needed to be "broken in". Then ignored me after warranty was over.
I also have to change one spark plug every 10,000 miles (or less) as it fouls and will give an engine code. That plug wire has been changed at least 5 times as well.
It gets about 22 mpg on the highway if I drive it carefully and do not use cruise. (My 2011 Toyota Tundra gets 22 mph on the Highway without even trying)
This is the last Ford I will ever buy.