PDA

View Full Version : PEDERSOLI RB Action Rifles

Bigjohn
10-08-2007, 09:36 PM
I wish to put a question to the esteemed members of this board; Has anyone bought and shot a Pedersoli Rolling Block Rifle in one of the .30 cals.?

I have been thinking about doing some more experimentation with CB, PPCB in long necked cases. Another thread here discussed the option of forming a long neck case for the .308" Winchester but that option would required the alteration of the chamber and if the rifle was ever sold; unsaleable.

I have checked the catalogues and Pedersoli have a RB in .30/30 Winchester and a rimmed .30 cal cartridge in a single shot rifle would sufficient.

This combination would also allow the use of pointed boolits, Paper patched boolits seated with the paper inside the neck.

I have no issue with their quality; the catalogue does not say if aftermarket tang sight can be fitted or what they shoot like.

John.

Buckshot
10-08-2007, 10:11 PM
..............Wish I could answer your question. I've had 2 Pedersoli RB's and still have one. They are very accurate and a fine product so I'd imagine the 30 cal would be also.

................Buckshot

Nardoo
10-09-2007, 06:52 AM
Contact Graeme Forbes on: forbes@alphalink.com.au

He is the Aussie importer and although superficially a bit of a grump is really a nice bloke. He is also very knowldgable and an active BP shooter. I am sure he would help.

I have not seen a Pedersoli roller that cannot have a Soule/tang sight fitted. And they all shoot. Good luck with the .30 cal.

Nardoo

PS. I have only one 30 cal mould, the RCBS 180 FN GC, but if you would like some bullets to try, PM me and I will post them to you.

Boz330
10-09-2007, 08:53 AM
I didn't know that Pedersoli made anything but 45-70s. If their 30s shoot anything like the 45-70s it sounds like a good project. My shootin buddy has one and regularly puts an a$$ whoopin on us with it. Bought it for $300 bucks because the previous owner couldn't get it to shoot. He's still kicking himself over that deal since he is getting beat by it almost every month:roll:
I think it was the second BPCRS match he shot with it after working up a load, shot 37 @of 40. Although he hasn't done that since:Fire:

Bob

Bigjohn
10-09-2007, 05:59 PM
Thank you everyone for your replies; I have a PEDERSOLI 1874 Sharps in the locker, so I have no problems with their quality. It shoots better than I can at this moment.

Contact Graeme Forbes on: forbes@alphalink.com.au

He is the Aussie importer and although superficially a bit of a grump is really a nice bloke. He is also very knowldgable and an active BP shooter. I am sure he would help.

I have not seen a Pedersoli roller that cannot have a Soule/tang sight fitted. And they all shoot. Good luck with the .30 cal.

Nardoo

PS. I have only one 30 cal mould, the RCBS 180 FN GC, but if you would like some bullets to try, PM me and I will post them to you.

Nardoo; I phoned Graeme yesterday after posting this; Yes, he is a bit of a 'Grump' and if he was short enough he could get the job of 'Grumpy' in the Seven Dwarfs. I have know him since I met him in 1993; hasn't changed.

Graeme was helpful as you said; he has one of the models I need in stock at $1,400.00 AUD but .38/55 cal./cart., he said that there is a significant delay in getting one of the .30 cal's. from Italy and price is depended on cost at time of order.

Graeme was also able to inform me that they will take the market sights such as the 'Soule' type which is what I want.

Graeme is offering me a deal on the model he has in stock and I'm tempted which means I would need more molds, cases, dies etc. Addicttive cycle isn't it!:twisted:

John.

Buckshot
10-10-2007, 02:04 AM
..............Heck, setting up to load a different cartridge/caliber is half the fun anyway :-). Just think of the new moulds to try out.

...............Buckshot

Boz330
10-10-2007, 08:26 AM
38-55s are fun!!!! I have been known to pick up a mould or brass or even a set of dies and then felt obligated to get the gun to go with them. Can't waste that stuff you know.

Bob

Misfire99
10-10-2007, 09:51 PM
If it was me I would be very tempted to ream that thing out to 30-40 krag. You can shoot much heavier bullets then the 30-30. With a case full of slow burning powder and a paper patched boolet I bet you could get some very long range out of it. Turn a hundred to two hundred yard rifle into a five hundred to thousand yard rifle. Although I have a book around here somewhere that shows a gentleman shooting a 30-30 at a thousand yards. The drop was something like twenty six feet. Almost a three story building.

Nardoo
10-11-2007, 07:22 AM
John,

Great idea for going with the 38/55. I have a Lyman 378674 which throws beautiful long 38 cal BP bullets weighing 340 grains. And no gun to shoot them in! Yet.

PM me if you would like me to send you a few. I am feeling a bit more benevolent towards you Croweaters since the mighty Cats cleaned you up.

I just received an MVA Soule for my Sharpes from a member on Cast Boolits. At around half the Australian price it has been a great buy. And a beautiful sight to use.

Nardoo

NickSS
10-11-2007, 03:56 PM
I own a Pedersoli RB in 30-30 and it is a great shooter of Cast bullets. I got it for a real steel of a price several years ago and have been happy with it ever since. Now for some of your questions. The rifle takes tang sights that are drilled with the same hole patern as a Shiloh Sharps rifle. At least I put a tang sight on it that formerly had been on my Shiloh. Second I have shot boolits up to 210 gr and as light as 115 gr with different powder charges and got good accuracy from all of them. My favorit load is a Lyman 173 gr boolit with 15 gr of AA5744. This load shoots into under 4 inches at 200 yards all day long in my rifle.

Bigjohn
10-17-2007, 10:47 PM
Well, I've gone and done it! Call the dealer this morning and got my price. I also spoke to him about a SPORTCO by OMARK Mod. 44 Target Rifle in .308" Win.

It looks like I'm up for two new rifles.

Now the fun begins.

John.

Bigjohn
10-24-2007, 04:06 AM
It's here! The Pedersoli Rolling Block in 38/55 is at the dealers and the paperwork is in. I hope to pick it up next month.

I also had to buy a new safe as I was out of room. Now I will have to fill that; can't waste the space. [smilie=1:

I have to go through the catalogs tonight to get the list together of the bits I need; Dies, molds, cases, cartridge case boxes. Anything I missed?

John.

Boz330
10-24-2007, 08:29 AM
It's here! The Pedersoli Rolling Block in 38/55 is at the dealers and the paperwork is in. I hope to pick it up next month.

I also had to buy a new safe as I was out of room. Now I will have to fill that; can't waste the space. [smilie=1:

I have to go through the catalogs tonight to get the list together of the bits I need; Dies, molds, cases, cartridge case boxes. Anything I missed?

John.

John, what is the twist rate on that model? Mine is 15 and it really likes the Lyman bullet at 330gr and 1.3 inches long. Are you going to use BP or that other powder.

Bob

Bigjohn
10-25-2007, 06:44 PM
The catalog says it's a 1 in 18" twist. I have not checked it out personally.

This is a CAST BOOLIT gun only; no condom bullets.

I may run it in with the other powder but I will be developing some holy black powder loads for it.

I have ordered the Lyman #378674 mold for it as well as the LEE 379-250-RF; which may end up being my main hunting boolit.

Updates as we progress.

John.

Boz330
10-29-2007, 10:47 AM
You should have pretty good luck with the Lee bullet, the twist might be a little slow for the Lyman. Mine shoots the Lee ok for hunting but really shines with the 330gr Lyman. But again my twist is 15. It's a shame you are so far away or I could send you some to try before you commit to the mold. I would think that something around a 290gr mold would work the best, but you never know. Good luck.

Bob

Bigjohn
12-06-2007, 02:20 AM
Well, time for an update.

The paperwork arrived so I went and picked up the PEDERSOLI RB (.38 x 55) from the dealer. Went to the LEO station and completed the paperwork; came home put it in the safe and went back to Nightshift mode.

Well, now that nightshift is over; the fun begins. :-D

Lets see; have rifle - check; have cases - check; have reloading die sets (LEE & LYMAN) - check; have boolit mold (LEE 379-250-??) - check; have samples of RCBS 250 gr GC Boolit - check; have powder, etc - check; have some days off - check.

I think I'm there, cobber. I will let you all know what happens. :-D:-D:-D

John:castmine:

Boz330
12-06-2007, 09:26 AM
Here is one of the Lee 250's after traversing the better part of a white tail. Retained 96% of orginal weight. Alloy 20-1. BTW you are really going to enjoy that rifle.

Bigjohn
12-08-2007, 08:35 PM
I also found a local caster who had a CBE .379-250-RFN and asked him to cast me 200 for trial. I picked them up Friday.

Very nice and something else to trial out.

Unfortunately, these last few days have been tied up with work and buying a new vehicle, so I missed out on reloading.

The next few days are heavy with work committments so reloading is out. I'm looking forward to early next week to get into it.

John