PDA

View Full Version : Son leaving for Afganistan soon

Moonie
07-24-2013, 11:20 AM
I do not remember exactly who it was that suggested a tomahawk as a gift for soldiers in the middle east. I do remember it was put forward and seconded by those of you that have been there. I want to thank you all. My son had his 23'rd birthday yesterday and his gift from me was a Cold Steel Trench Hawk. He is going Active duty next week and will be going to Afganistan soon after.

I believe this is the most important gift I have ever given him, even more so than his first rifle.

Love Life
07-24-2013, 11:50 AM
I'm glad he enjoyed the gift. If I could go back in time, knowing what I know now, I would have a taken a hawk with me. I carried the Cold Steel Recon Tanto (made in the USA), and it is hell for stout, but a hawk would have served me much better.

I'll pray for a safe and eneventful deployment for your son.

Firebricker
07-24-2013, 12:39 PM
Moonie, Is there anything else your son might need we could help with ?
BTW tell him happy B-day from the CB crew

w5pv
07-24-2013, 03:32 PM
Best regards for our heroes that place them selves in danger for this great country,Prayers for his safe return and for his family.

Mk42gunner
07-24-2013, 04:04 PM
I'll pray for a safe and {u}neventful deployment for your son.

Amen.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
07-24-2013, 04:06 PM
I know a hatchet is a very use full tool , but i am curios as to the tasks that would have been better with the hawk in Afghanistan so that i might better understand this war that we have been in for so long but so little of reaches the attention of the American people.

is it more a tool of everyday work daily tasks, or is there more hand to hand combat than we hear about

I know the historian re-enactor in town was telling me the hatchet that looks almost more like a cross between a hatchet and tomahawk that he carries on his 1775 period uniform was one of the most useful tools carried

cpileri
07-24-2013, 04:07 PM
Good Luck and Godspeed!
C-

Love Life
07-24-2013, 04:24 PM
It is a more useful tool for every day tasks. Also depending on the searches done a hawk is better at breaking stuff and breaking into stuff. Hand to hand is pretty much a non issue except for rare cases.

A solid and high quality lock back pocket knife will cover 99% of what a person may need a knife for

john hayslip
07-24-2013, 04:35 PM
Most of the grunts I knew in VN carried a sheath knife taped to the Strap that held up the cartridge belt on the side opposite their strong side hand. Another inexpensive thing that might be welcomed in future boxes might be some playing cards - and I'll still stick with a knife sharpener (which will work on the tomahawk but probably put to thin an edge on it) I found one at Wally World the other day by Gerber that had the carbide and ceramic v's and a pair of rods to do serrated edges with for under $20. I still think the best value one is a Smith's that has only the v's at about $5.

john hayslip
07-24-2013, 04:36 PM
I'd imagine that if you were to post his address here after he gets there some of us would send care packages.

bikerbeans
07-24-2013, 04:49 PM
Please give your son my thanks for protecting my family and our country.

BB

GREENCOUNTYPETE
07-24-2013, 05:46 PM
I kind of thought it was more a utility item than , combat tool

A co worker and Vietnam Vet swears these type of hatchet / hammer / pribar http://www.garrettwade.com/product.asp?pn=08A01.20&&SID=W4011000&EID=W4011001&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=ProductAds&utm_campaign=Google1&cvsfa=3928&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=30384130312e3230&gclid=CK-g69aMybgCFWNgMgodvHoAiw
were the most usefull thing , but he was support and not infantry so i wasn't sure.

Olevern
07-25-2013, 09:11 AM
He's about to join a elite group of American citizens which will be a brotherhood for life. He has my thanks for answering the call.

blackthorn
07-25-2013, 10:58 AM
I had 2 of those hatchet/tools. I got them years ago at a discount surplus store for $5 each. Carried/carry one in each vechical we own and they have come in handy several times.

Dean D.
07-25-2013, 01:04 PM
Moonie, please extend my sincere appreciation to your Son for his service to our country. I keep all of our service Men and Women in my daily thoughts and prayers.

Artful
07-27-2013, 09:37 PM
Praying for his safe return, and thanking him and his family for the protection provided by his enlisting.

DIRT Farmer
07-27-2013, 10:33 PM
My son carried a H&B Forge hawk on his tour of the sand box. He found it had many uses, and said it scared the stuffing out of membersof the opposing team. The American hand axe has a well deserved reputation.

Bzcraig
07-27-2013, 11:27 PM
Tell him thank you for his courage and thank you Moonie for raising son with a sense of commitment and patriotism. Well done sir!

JeffinNZ
07-27-2013, 11:51 PM
And 0 wanted to take away bayonets.

Our boys on deployment had to do some bayo training with your boys. The down side of our bullpup Steyrs is you have to get closer to use it.

Hope your son has a positively boring deployment.

WILCO
07-28-2013, 01:52 AM
Amen.

Ditto for me.