PDA

View Full Version : How come no Lee small dia. molds

corvette8n
10-08-2007, 07:04 PM
Why doesnt Lee make rifle molds less than 7mm, is it a technical problem with alum. or is not the demand there.

TAWILDCATT
10-08-2007, 07:23 PM
Lee has the 6.5 swede at 170gr and .268dia.I ordered thru midshooters.com. around $20.got your pm.

Buckshot
10-08-2007, 08:31 PM
Lee has the 6.5 swede at 170gr and .268dia.I ordered thru midshooters.com. around $20.got your pm.

..............Those are customs. I think corvette8n means as a cataloged item. I have no answer if that IS the question other then the smaller the OD is the more of a hassle they are to cut. Tool stickout, flex, chatter, teeny tools :-), swarf clearance. Heck, prolly demand also. Look at what they see come through as custom orders?

..............Buckshot

mag_01
10-10-2007, 07:54 AM
:coffee: --- You will find Lee molds love to run hot --- Larger dia. boolits cast better as larger molds keep temp. up whereas the smaller dia. tend to cool quicker. With steel this is not a problem as we all know steel holds the temp. much longer. Lee molds are more of a challenge -- But if you are up to it you will get more bag for your buck $$ . ----- Mag_01

Get er done --- :castmine:

NVcurmudgeon
10-10-2007, 11:33 AM
(The following is entirely opinion-I can't prove it.)

I believe that Lee does not make small diameter moulds for the same reason that the big box stationery stores do not stock no. 2 1/2 pencils. There is little demand. Last week I phoned Dixon Ticonderoga for information, then ordered a half gross of yellow, wooden, no. 2 1/2 pencils from a construction supplier in Shreveport, LA. Only a fanatic would do that, everybody else settles for no. 2s. Look at your own mould collections. Mine runs from 7mm to .45, with a tepid interest in a 6.5 mm mould "someday." Also, look at what we talk about on this board, mostly .30 cal. and up.

Yes, Lyman is an exception, but if they were a logical company, they would still be making 311465, 311466, 311467, and 358009 among many others that command a premium price on the used market. OTOH, Lee is a very innovative company with a serious committment to the bottom line.

S.R.Custom
10-10-2007, 12:31 PM
Why doesnt Lee make rifle molds less than 7mm, is it a technical problem with alum. or is not the demand there.

You mean there are rifles smaller than 7mm? :???:

Bullshop
10-10-2007, 12:41 PM
I will definatly fall in the exception side of that line. I have lots and lots of molds on the under side of 7mm. Percentage wise I guess more are over but still lots smaller.
My personal preferance is on the smaller side but like you say I too have to go with what sells.
If I were allowed a vote as to what caliber boolit has the greatest FUN factor I would say 25 cal. We also shoot lots of 22's way more even than 25's but as I said for me its the 25.
As usual I see I am contrary to the norm. I know there are lots of folks that just simply love shooting thier 30 cal milsurps and I do to. Being the mizer extream that I am the fact that I am generating an equal ammount of fun with less material puts it over the top for me with the 25. As material cost continues to go up this may become a factor for the not so mizerly also.
Just last week while out hunting rabbits with my boys using my 25/222 I got a bit of a tricky shot. I had slipped away from the boys while they were skinning a few rabbits they shot a few minutes earlier. I had walked maybe 75 yards from the road into an old burn that was just so choked up with dead fall and reprod that you could only slowly carefully pick your way through. When I got about about 75 yards away I knew the boys would come looking for me soon. As they started comming and yelling Dad Dad where are you the rabbits also started comming. I had my beloved 25 and my single six 22 ccm on my hip. The action was fast and fun. I could hear the boys so had them in a safe position and as the rabbits came by in multiples I was picking them off.
One came and stopped at about 15 yards facing me. I didnt want to ruin him with a low shot so just tried to pick off the head. When I touched off the shot I saw the head just sort of pop up about a foot and hang itself very neatly in a willow. For some odd reason it was so pleasing at the moment I just gave my 25 a hug. Sure the same thing could have been done with about any gun but for this kind of shooting and just fun plinking the 25's do it for me.
Sorry, musta been that extra cup of coffie.
BIC/BS
BIC/BS

mag_01
10-10-2007, 02:53 PM
Interesting story --- Brought a smile to my face --- Mag_01

Bret4207
10-11-2007, 07:17 AM
No need to apologize BS, those good shots remain with us. I actually took a Ruffed Grouse (partridge up here) on the wing for the second time in my life yesterday. Both times have been in front of my son. He was suitably impressed. That'll stick with me, just as his first duck will.

I agree on the 25's. A little tough tohandle, but the shooting makes up for it. I'm a 25/20 fan. Gotta love 'em!

Ohio Rusty
10-11-2007, 09:39 AM
So NVCurmudgeon ..... Do they water quench the lead in pencils to make them harder????
Ohio Rusty

georgewxxx
10-11-2007, 10:05 AM
Midsouth also sells a little .22 Bator mould in their special order section.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0000622BATOR

NVcurmudgeon
10-11-2007, 10:52 AM
So NVCurmudgeon ..... Do they water quench the lead in pencils to make them harder????
Ohio Rusty

No, they quench when they dip the pencils into the yellow paint, killing two birds with one stone.

felix
10-11-2007, 11:04 AM
Yes, Dan, I have always been intrigued by the Copperhead round, 25/222. Just might have to go through with it before its too late (on all accounts). What twist is yours? Favorite boolit? ... felix

Bret4207
10-11-2007, 11:10 AM
Midsouth also sells a little .22 Bator mould in their special order section.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0000622BATOR

And if they ever come in I'm getting 3 or 4!

georgewxxx
10-11-2007, 11:52 AM
Guess I didn't pay attention if they were in stock. I've had mine for a couple years. In Castpics, the results from testing it in 218 Bee it did great for me. I've used it in the .222 and Hornet also....Geo

georgeld
10-14-2007, 03:52 AM
One of the guys on Saubier.com sent me some samples of his cast .20cal slugs, am not sure what they weigh, but, not much no longer than they are.

Some over there are playing with .10 cal, and .14's are fairly common now. I'm just getting started with .17x28mm. based on the 5.7 case. Wish I could get more brass for it.