PDA

View Full Version : Rethinking "box boolits"

Kansas Ed
07-23-2013, 09:54 PM
I've come to the realization that my addiction is hopeless. I've been into this casting deal for less than a year, and I'm thinking about melting down all of my "box made ready boolits" that I've purchased over the years from sources like Oregon Trails and the like, in order to have "better" fodder. Tell me it ain't so....

My name is Ed and I realize I have a problem.....:shock:

Ed

Gee_Wizz01
07-23-2013, 10:11 PM
Ed;
I have been there and done that! In my case it was an easy decision as the boolits I had were to small in diameter and leaded my barrel. The bullets I cast from the recycling operation were great .

Good Luck

Gary

dbosman
07-23-2013, 11:43 PM
If the quantities are large enough to bother packing and shipping, re-sell them to people testing cast bullets, and use the cash to purchase alloy for you boolits.

ACrowe25
07-24-2013, 12:59 AM
If the quantities are large enough to bother packing and shipping, re-sell them to people testing cast bullets, and use the cash to purchase alloy for you boolits.

This! They charged you more than "lead". Try to get your money back. I just did the same for some Missouri bullet company bullets.

badgerblaster
07-24-2013, 10:55 AM
I'm thinking about doing the same. I have a box of 500 Hornady .44 cal. I think they are pure lead because I can scratch them with my fingernail. My thought is to cast them with equal amount of wheel weights.

mdi
07-24-2013, 12:22 PM
Well, BTDT. At one time I had a box of 500 .45 ACP bullets from a popular caster. They measured .451" had a bevel base and would lead my 1911. I figgered I was out a bit of $$ and didn't want the trouble of trying to sell them or re-lube them so they went into the pot with 50% soft lead and cast some in my Lee mold. It cost me a little, but I learned that commercial cast bullets can be good or scrap...

spfd1903
07-24-2013, 05:47 PM
I bought some commercial lead boolits before I had the molds for specific calibers. The diameters were as specified on the box, but they were all a hard alloy, approx. BHN 22, for pistol or rifle. Only leading I ever had was from these. My own cast and lubed boolits are more accurate and do not lead the barrels. I have a few partial boxes, various weights and calibers, that I plan to mix with pure Lead.

Smoke4320
07-24-2013, 05:54 PM
I had at Least 2000 cast boolits that had been purchased at least 20 years ago.., discovered them while cleaning out the loading room.. Just tossed them in the pot and melted along with 50 % Coww and 2% tin.. made some nice shiny proper fitting boolits.. me and the guns are happy

williamwaco
07-24-2013, 09:23 PM
I remelt at least 20% of all the bullets I cast to get something different - Or I changed my mind.

.5mv^2
07-24-2013, 10:56 PM
If they shoot, I would shoot them.

In my case, I recover the bullets from my berm. That doesn't work for most but I would throw them in the pot for their next life.

canyon-ghost
07-24-2013, 11:15 PM
If they aren't undersized, shoot them unless they lead badly. If not, use the alloy. You have the options to work with. I always figure that it's my hobby and my dollars so, about anything goes!