PDA

View Full Version : Chris Kyle Toombstone.

shadetree25
07-23-2013, 09:01 PM
I was listening to a talk radio program out of Odessa Texas today. A caller said he took his son to the Texas State Cemetery in Austin. They saw the grave of Chris Kyle and it just had a small marker but, no headstone. They asked why there was no headstone marker and were told the marker was the responsibility of the Family. Does anyone know if this is true? :sad::mad:

williamwaco
07-23-2013, 09:11 PM
Yes that is true.

I saw his wife talking abut it on a talk show a while back but I don't remember why she said it has not been erected yet.

Keep in mind, he has only been dead five months. It could easily take the family two to three months to decide on what they want.

Hickory
07-24-2013, 08:32 AM
At my dads request, he has no marker.
Before his passing he said, "No marker was erected
where I was born, non should be where I am laid to rest."
And so it was.

pmeisel
07-24-2013, 11:24 AM
Depending on the complexity of what you want, a headstone can take months.

Bad Water Bill
07-24-2013, 10:22 PM
I fear the carvings on the stones is becoming a lost art.

missionary5155
07-25-2013, 05:53 AM
Good morning
No matter we have lost another brave brother at arms. Thankfully there have always been others who would step up and fill the rank.
I feel sorry for the country that has none.
Mike in Peru

GaryN
07-28-2013, 04:10 PM
If it were me I would let the ground settle for a year before putting up a marker. Less chance of it becoming crooked and sinking on one side.

TXGunNut
07-28-2013, 08:29 PM
I'm sure this has been a whirlwind five months for Kyle's widow, deciding on a marker takes a bit of reflection and as mentioned above takes awhile to make and deliver. What's the rush? A monument is forever.

Bad Water Bill
07-28-2013, 08:39 PM
It took almost 2 years just to put the date of my moms passing on the headstone that had been there for 10 years.

When dad died everything else was carved and set in place.

mroliver77
08-03-2013, 01:33 PM
The VA will supply a small nice stone on request. I have done the paperwork for a relative.

The concrete base for a stone is deep here and is not over the grave but in front of it on undisturbed soil.

10-x
08-03-2013, 02:40 PM
Foundations for tombstones have 2 "legs" about 36" deep on both ends , at least a foot or so between the 2 legs ,depending what width the stone is. Had a job digging them in Jr. High. Understand that most lettering is sandblasted these days, as mentioned, stone engraving is becoming a lost art, as many other professions.:(

Char-Gar
08-03-2013, 06:56 PM
It is quite a deal to be buried in the Texas State Cemetery. You must be either a an elected official or a notable Texan, recognized by the Texas Legislature. It really does take a special law to be buried there if you are not a state elected official. Just walking around there is a lesson in Texas history. Very pretty place and I don't find the time involved remarkable for selection and placement of a suitable stone.

mroliver77
08-04-2013, 09:33 AM
Char-Gar,
I didn't know about TX State Cemetery but figured it was special. I will take time to research it.

10X
I suppose different areas and cemeteries for that matter do it different. Most cemeteries in my area are set on sand ridges left from an ancient lake or flood. We dig the footers 36" all the way down. I grew up helping Grandpa dig graves and care for the cemetery where most of my people are at. I help out some now.

And a trivia tidbit. You are not 6' under, at least not in OH. Grave is about 54" to the bottom. Once coffin and vault are in, there is only 2' or less of dirt on top. We haul about 1 ton of yellow sand away for each grave.
J

cvoor
03-17-2015, 10:58 PM
Does Chris Kyle have a headstone yet? It's been 2 yrs now. My husbands brother went to visit his grave, and said he still only has a small marker. Why doesn't this great man have a monument yet?

country gent
03-17-2015, 11:10 PM
Head stones can be very hard to decide on and also the cemetaries may have regulations that have to be followed. One here only allows ground flush markers or plauqes so no trimming is required. Another issue is weather some winters the footers cant be poured until spring. When My wife was killed I took several moths to decide what was wanted for us then went to several memorial shops. ANd talked with them. I settle on a simple bench style with the addition of matching granite base under it. The added base give a completed look to the headstone. Its simple and elegant. Her info is there and all of mine but the last date, boy is that sobering seeing that for the first time. The family may not have decided what is wanted yet