PDA

View Full Version : Comments please

Jim
10-08-2007, 05:47 PM
I posted a question on cast boolits about using a minnie bullet in a .45-70. I'm a bit dissappointed with the few responses I got. Would y'all take a look and let me know what you think?

Please?

Thanks,
Jim

Ricochet
10-08-2007, 05:54 PM
I saw it. I agree with what was said, you're likely to be disappointed with the accuracy and the risk of shedding a skirt is there if you go above blackpowder pressures.

SharpsShooter
10-08-2007, 06:18 PM
Jim

I missed the original post, but did go back and read it. The pressure curve is so much sharper with smokeless that I would be hesitant to utilize that particular boolit. There are vast numbers of better choices for plinking and hunting. It might be fun to try it with black powder, if you would like to go that way.

SS

madcaster
10-08-2007, 06:32 PM
Richoett is right on,if the skirt seperates then you have a bore obstruction that is gonna possibly hurt you or others,and ruin the gun.
Best go with a solid based bullet.

charger 1
10-09-2007, 04:31 AM
the risk of shedding a skirt is there .

Is this necessarily a bad thing? Sorry , forever the smart ass....

Ok seriously now, a chum of mine who's fairly good at loads etc tried to get some to fly out of a ruger one cause a large quantity were free. He couldnt put em on paper over plinking speed. We dont know why cause there was never anything stuck in barrel but they were bedismal at best

Jim
10-09-2007, 06:08 AM
Good enough. Thanks, guys.

44man
10-09-2007, 08:26 AM
If you want to have fun, put a hefty black powder load behind a thin skirt Minnie' ball in a musket. The skirt turns into a shuttle cock when it leaves the muzzle and makes great noises. Of course you won't hit anything! :mrgreen:

Boz330
10-09-2007, 08:41 AM
Tried some in a 45LC rifle, they shot terrible. I was trying to get a heavier bullet then. Now there are plenty of 300gr moulds on the market so not a problem.

Bob

PatMarlin
10-09-2007, 10:30 AM
I've got a brand new RCBS 300 for sale.. :drinks:

NVcurmudgeon
10-09-2007, 11:13 AM
I posted a question on cast boolits about using a minnie bullet in a .45-70. I'm a bit dissappointed with the few responses I got. Would y'all take a look and let me know what you think?

Please?

Thanks,
Jim

Jim, please don't be too disappointed in us. Many of us are competent .45/70 loaders, but Minie ball experience is rarer. I looked at your post, pleaded ignorance, and moved on, as I'm sure others did.

Jim
10-09-2007, 04:47 PM
Not a problem, Curmudgeon. All is well and I harbor no ill feelings.:drinks: I knew it was an odd idea when I posted it.:roll: Somebody's gotta think of this stuff, right?:-D