PDA

View Full Version : It's official - I'm a 'coon hunter.

JeffinNZ
07-23-2013, 04:51 AM
An honorary life member of the Floyd County Coon Hunter. Dog handler has me worried though. I reckon it most involve being secured to some sort of hound dog and likely result in being dragged in the dark through the forest.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/JeffinNZ/Shooting%20stuff/Picture6_zpsfff45249.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/JeffinNZ/media/Shooting%20stuff/Picture6_zpsfff45249.jpg.html)

Hickory
07-23-2013, 05:13 AM
Whatever you do not take up chewing tobacco with your new hobby.

Trey45
07-23-2013, 05:52 AM
The initiation is a snipe hunt, bring a flashlight!

472x1B/A
07-23-2013, 06:05 AM
^ And you have to supply your own gunnysack.

Jim
07-23-2013, 08:38 AM
You will be expected to provide your own light and dog leash.

You might wanna' pick up a good hand held GPS, too. If the dogs don't tree, it's your job to find 'em, catch 'em an' bring 'em back to the truck. We'll be waitin' for ya' at the second gate just east of the power line.

Oh, an' your cell phone won't work in those bottoms. [smilie=1:

gnoahhh
07-23-2013, 10:33 AM
And don't forget the jug of Old Stump Blower XXX. A couple of snorts of that stuff and you won't care about getting lost or where the dogs are (but they might need a handler for you)!:razz:

Jim
07-23-2013, 12:11 PM
And don't forget the jug of Old Stump Blower XXX. .....

Nope, no alcohol durin' the hunt. That stays behind the seat of the truck until the hunt is over and the rifle is unloaded.

THEN we get fallin' down, knee crawlin', slobberin' drunk!

:2 drunk buddies: [smilie=w:

'Course, if we don't tree no 'coons, there's always the courthouse. [smilie=1:

WILCO
07-23-2013, 05:41 PM
Sounds like a deal Jeff. :)

WILCO
07-23-2013, 05:42 PM
Nope, no alcohol durin' the hunt. That stays behind the seat of the truck until the hunt is over and the rifle is unloaded.

THEN we get fallin' down, knee crawlin', slobberin' drunk!

:2 drunk buddies: [smilie=w:

'Course, if we don't tree no 'coons, there's always the courthouse. [smilie=1:

Floyd is the place to be Jim!!!

JeffinNZ
07-23-2013, 06:07 PM
Tried a spot of chewin' bac when I was in AL in 2005. Keith wouldn't let me try it in the car 'cos he didn't want me to vomit on the dash. He is a wise man.

DCM
07-23-2013, 06:24 PM
Tried a spot of chewin' bac when I was in AL in 2005. Keith wouldn't let me try it in the car 'cos he didn't want me to vomit on the dash. He is a wise man.

Very wise indeed! I came too close to loosing my cookies to try that again.

Hickory
07-23-2013, 07:03 PM
There has been only two times in my life when I wanted to die.
The one time was when coon hunting and my first try at chewing tobacco.
Dogs were on a coon I was running to keep up and tripped over a log and swallowed a good bit of the chew.
Never want to have that happen again.

Jim
07-23-2013, 07:43 PM
Hmmm.....

Walkin' an' chewin' gum.... Runnin' an' chewin' tabaccah.....

Nope, it ain't the same. Two entirely different skill sets. Kinda' like squallin' a 'coon outa th' tree, it takes a while to learn how to do it. Ya' can't learn it on ya' own, ya' gotta' learn it from somebody that's been doin' it for years.

You watch me, Jeff. I'll show ya' how to cut a brown grin an' spit 'ringers'.

JeffinNZ
07-23-2013, 11:34 PM
You watch me, Jeff. I'll show ya' how to cut a brown grin an' spit 'ringers'.

Yay........can't wait. LOL.

Spruce
07-23-2013, 11:45 PM
I've always heard you want to swallow a little bacco juice, kills worms and other parasites.

GL49
07-23-2013, 11:47 PM
'Coon huntin' with about a third of a bag of Beech-Nut crammed in your left cheek, sounds like a dream come true, Jeff.

cbrick
07-24-2013, 07:52 AM
Jeff, you have to get one of these. Snuff is optional but these are mandatory.

Rick

Jim
07-24-2013, 08:04 AM
Ahh, jeesh, Rick, you're killin' me! Man, that's a beautiful dog! [smilie=w:

DougGuy
07-24-2013, 08:42 AM
Jeff you'll do jes fine but remember coons don't live in the forest, they live in "them thar woods.."

GREENCOUNTYPETE
07-24-2013, 10:10 AM
Jeff I got a Walker coon hound you can borrow , if you find yourself near Wisconsin and your short a dog to handle , you wouldn't think a 60 pound dog could create 200 pounds of pull on a leash , but if he's got a scent

as to banjo music , well I rather like it , got a few friends that play the banjo , I will be camping next week with a bunch of them , picking and playing and passing the bottle till the sun comes up.

Smitty's Retired
07-24-2013, 02:50 PM
Hmmm.....

[quote] Kinda' like squallin' a 'coon outa th' tree, it takes a while to learn how to do it. Ya' can't learn it on ya' own, ya' gotta' learn it from somebody that's been doin' it for years.

You using a tube Jim, or are ya a cheekin it.

Jim
07-24-2013, 03:27 PM
[QUOTE=Jim;2316506]Hmmm.....

You using a tube Jim, or are ya a cheekin it.

A tube? What th' dickens is that? Pull out a wad 'bout the size of a golf ball, shove in ya' cheek and turn the dogs out.

Smitty's Retired
07-24-2013, 09:00 PM
I'm talkin about squalin' a coon. Tube or Cheeking the call?

Mk42gunner
07-25-2013, 12:05 AM
Jeff,

The best (hard learned) advice I can give you is to never be the one with the shortest rubber boots. I guarantee there will be a wet spot about as shallow as the Marianas Trench that everybody else will cross dry.

Robert

Love Life
07-25-2013, 12:28 AM
Those look good. After seeing the picture I almost loaded up the truck with a few friends with questionable backgrounds to head over your way to do some eating!! Somebody had to start complaining about driving clear across the county and ruined the whole idea...

LuvMy1911
07-25-2013, 01:06 AM
It's been over 35 years since my Dad & I went coon hunting with uncle Mike... It was great! He had bluetick & redbone hounds (IIRC), the sound they made was like magic.

I enjoyed 99% of it... chasing dogs in the dark, finding 2 & 3 foot deep ditches filled with swamp water, listening to see which way the dogs are running & taking off again.

The 1% I didn't like... finding the new (sharp) barbed wire fence that wasn't there the last time I crossed that fenceline . That one stopped me cold & took a little work to get loose from.