PDA

View Full Version : What cast bullet works best in the SD40-VE?

inline50
07-22-2013, 08:08 PM
I am buying a SD40-VE and want to know what cast bullet works well in this weapon?
I have heard that this gun is a "knock off" of the Glock and that Glock's are notorious for not handling
cast reloads. I am concerned that since the gun is similar, I may experience the same problems with it.
Does anyone out there own a SD40-VE, and do you have any trouble with cast reloads.
I want to buy my dies and molds when I buy my gun and plan on shooting cast through it most of the time.
Any information would be appreciated.

ku4hx
07-23-2013, 05:09 PM
I have heard that this gun is a "knock off" of the Glock and that Glock's are notorious for not handling cast reloads.

Many striker fired guns today are patterned after Glock's design. True "Knock offs" are generally considered to be inferior copies which are sold as the original item or brand. The SD40/VE does not fall into that category.

As to cast boolits being a no-no in Glocks, for me and many others, that's pure internet lore and hype. Opinions differ; that's mine.

For my 40 and my 10mm guns, I prefer Lee's 175 grain TC with traditional lube groove.

rsrocket1
07-23-2013, 05:30 PM
I don't know about the 40VE, but with M&P barrels, S&W tends to make them very tight. My 40 barrel slugged right at 0.400" with the same diameter at the throat. My M&P 9mm barrel slugged at 0.3545 with the same throat diameter. That means 0.001" over sized bullets will not chamber into the gun. I cast TC boolits for both and have to seat them to where the cone edge is at the edge of the case mouth. Any exposed vertical part will hang up in the throat. If there are a few mils above, I can feel the resistance during a "plunk" test and in all but the worst case, the momentum of the slide will overcome the resistance.

This would be a good time to slug your barrel and also get the measurements for your chamber and throat.

khmer6
07-23-2013, 05:36 PM
The sigma really is a knock off on the glock. So much that they had to do a design change on it due to pressures from glock. The sigma is also a budget gun from SW. I wouldn't be too surprised if it were loose. Slug your bore so you know what to size them to. Try the lee 175gr.its a common profile

khmer6
07-23-2013, 05:38 PM
Oh forgot to say. The no cast in glocks is Bs. Also if you want to try the 175gr I can send you some samples. They are similar to the 180gr jacketed and plated bullets I have for 10mm

rsrocket1
07-23-2013, 05:47 PM
The sigma really is a knock off on the glock. So much that they had to do a design change on it due to pressures from glock.

Does the Sigma have a polygonal barrel?

khmer6
07-23-2013, 07:03 PM
I believe they use traditional rifling. The trigger system was what they weren't too happy about

inline50
07-23-2013, 07:26 PM
Thank you for the information. I would have hated to buy the gun and then found out it wouldn't perform well with
cast boolits.

ku4hx
07-24-2013, 04:17 AM
The sigma really is a knock off on the glock. So much that they had to do a design change on it due to pressures from glock.

Glock filled a patent infringement lawsuit and S&W countersued. But, S&W "voluntarily" changed the design (they were never ordered to do so) and as a result both parties dropped their suits choosing to settle out of court. All current models have the redesigned internals which Glock has [apparently] no objection to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_%26_Wesson_Sigma

Sidearmshooter
07-27-2013, 10:24 PM
SnS 180g LFP .401 do not work in SD40VE. If anyone knows of a bullet that will, please point us in the right direction.

AKholicBubba
11-28-2017, 01:59 PM
I'm getting the sd40 soon.glad i read this