PDA

View Full Version : Extension cord for Lyman pot

nessus
07-22-2013, 02:29 AM
Newb here, sorry if this has been asked a millions times already or if it's a stupid question.
I am just getting started and purchased a Lyman Big Dipper casting furnace. Can this be plugged into an extension cord or does it need to be direct to an outlet?

Thanks in advance.

Hickory
07-22-2013, 04:46 AM
The only way I'd risk using an extension cord would be one I make myself from # 12 electrical wire with heavy-duty male/female plugs on each end.

HATCH
07-22-2013, 07:09 AM
Depends on the length of the extension cord.

Get you a 12ga one and you should be fine.
The pot will pull 7 amps or mine does.
I wouldn't run a 100 foot cord but a 15 ft should be fine. Just feel the cord every oncecand a while to check for heat.

mikeym1a
07-22-2013, 07:19 AM
Yeah, the #12 gauge extension cord should be fine, but like suggested, not too long. Most of your household wiring is #12, so that gauge extension cord should be fine.

Enjoy your new pot, and hobby. I find liquid metal very soothing. :D

imashooter2
07-22-2013, 07:20 AM
Extension cords are rated. Use a cord rated for the pot loads and you'll be fine. Plug it in to a dollar store cheapie and you can have a fire on your hands.

nessus
07-22-2013, 11:04 AM
That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Thanks everyone!
I will start looking for a 12 gauge cord, or heck maybe I will just make one.

Thanks again

Johnch
07-22-2013, 11:16 AM
That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Thanks everyone!
I will start looking for a 12 gauge cord, or heck maybe I will just make one.

Thanks again

Just don't buy a cheap cord

Hate to say this

But buying a good cord is normaly cheaper than making one
As #12 SO or SJO cord and cord caps ar not cheap these days

John

Dale in Louisiana
07-22-2013, 02:03 PM
Seven amps current. A #14 cord is easier to find, and will work just perfectly as long as you don't go more than fifteen feet. Just get one at your local hardware store.

dale in Louisiana

bangerjim
07-22-2013, 02:12 PM
12GA cords are easy to find. Even COSTCO carries them. I just bought two 50 foot cords in a pack.

My shops are wired with 10GA on every outlet. And the feeder line from the breaker box is 8GA. I am good for heavy loads.

But make sure you do not use some cheap ungrounded two wire thing you get at ACE. Lowe's or Home Despot will have what you need in a shorter version. Check out the 6 & 10 foot single plug cords they sell for window AC's. Perfect for what you need.

I use one outside my casting shop to run the pot, hotplate, and evap cooler. Just put a three-headed snake adaptor on it!
bangerjim

imashooter2
07-22-2013, 05:38 PM
Look at the cord rating and you don't need to concern yourself with what wire and how long a cord. Match the cord rating to the pot and proceed.