PDA

View Full Version : A symbiotic WW relationship

jonk
10-08-2007, 09:43 AM
Or that's what I call it. I just got another 5 gal bucket full this weekend. The source?

Well my dad tutors a kid 2 days a week. His dad owns 4 tire stores. He might or might not normally sell it as scrap, I dunno- but he gives it to me through my dad. In turn, I keep him supplied with as much .38 special as he cares to shoot- and he doesn't shoot that often so that's not so much. My dad also keeps him supplied with info; in the course of owning the tire stores, he occasionally has had customers offer payment in the form of a swap- sometimes a gun- and sometimes he doesn't know much about the piece in question.

His latest one was a 1956 Colt Woodsman, minus the magazine. I dunno what he gave the guy in return, but a full set of premium tires and full inspection and oil change would be about right I'd think! Anyhow, he isn't terribly gun savvy and didn't know where to get the mags- and my dad is just ABOUT capable of sending an email- which means it fell to me to order them. He asked how much they'd be, I said, "I dunno, maybe $25 each." So the guy forwards me $50. Turns out with shipping I ended up paying $68.

I'm more than happy to eat the difference, this guy has given me probably 400 pounds of useable lead in the last year- of which I've shot perhaps 100 so am building a stockpile. Gotta take care of your supplier man, you know. :mrgreen:

So how bout you all? Do you have any regular sources?

armoredman
10-08-2007, 09:59 AM
Very nice setup! I have no source right now, but it will be a while before I run through what I have now. When I get a little ahead, I will look at getting my smelting setup.

454PB
10-08-2007, 11:34 AM
This sounds like a good deal for you, but I'd be a little worried about supplying someone other than a close family member with handloaded ammunition. Not only the liability, but putting yourself in the position of being an ammunition manufacturer.

jonk
10-08-2007, 11:42 AM
Hmmm. True. I hadn't considered that. I am quite sure that the guy in question is trustworthy regarding liability, but it's just one of those things, you're right. I think that I'm ok in terms of profit and such- I mean I am basically giving it away, no cash is changing hands- but liability. Hmm. He DOES return the empties to me, so I guess in one sense I'm just loaning him the brass but that doesn't cover the primers, bullets, lube, etc.

Now you're gonna get me all worked up, lol!

454PB
10-08-2007, 01:20 PM
I don't think the BATF cares whether it's a barter deal or cash.

MT Gianni
10-08-2007, 01:52 PM
I would be interested in their opinion of where it ends. If someone shoots one of your guns at the range with your handloads did that make you a manufacturer?

floodgate
10-08-2007, 08:20 PM
There USED to be a difference, depending on whether you reloaded a person's OWN empties and returned them to him re-loaded, or sold re-loaded ammunition from brass in YOUR stash. I don't know if this still applies, but it is worth checking with the BATF.

Personally, I don't like to shoot ANYONE else's reloads, a rule which was reinforced when I bought a Uberti .44 S&W "Russian" and four boxes of reloads from a buddy, and the first box shook the frame all loose at the hinge. He's still a good-buddy, BUT I don't shoot any more of his reloads!

floodgate

dakotashooter2
10-09-2007, 12:56 PM
As I see it you are just returning his lead to him...Processed.

testhop
10-09-2007, 02:25 PM
jonk i never give or sell ammo but i have had a lot of it stoled and i coulden be held responable
be any of the govenment anti guners with lace on there skivvies

BruceB
10-09-2007, 03:49 PM
In this day of litigious attacks on ANYONE for ANYTHING, I think we owe it to our families, if not ourselves, to protect whatever resources we have or will have in the future.

The gent to whom you are giving or selling reloaded ammo may well be your blood brother, very best pal, whatever....BUT.

In the event of a catastrophic incident involving his guns, which leaves him blind, or crippled, or dead....is his wife's lawyer going to be your best pal, blood brother, or whatever? HAH! A court judgement against you can beggar yourself and affect your family for life.

The worst of it is that it may not even have to be YOUR ammo that was involved in the incident. You may find yourself in the position of TRYING to prove that it wasn't your ammunition that was at fault....a difficult task at best.

Once your ammunition leaves your direct control, it presents a very serious potential liability situation. Avoid it all costs. TEACH your pal to handload, maybe, but keep your ammunition under your personal control.

The millions of dollars of liability insurance carried by commercial manufacturers is not there for the enjoyment of it all. Be warned.

Jim
10-09-2007, 04:52 PM
What Bruce said. I don't shoot anybody else's handloads, I don't give out mine and I sure as hell don't give out any of my data.

hydraulic
10-09-2007, 10:05 PM
I used to reload for a few friends, but my daughter the lawyer put an end to that.

FISH4BUGS
10-10-2007, 07:14 AM
I shoot ONLY my own handloads. That way, it is all my own fault if anything happens. I don't give anyone my handloads to shoot (except for my girlfriend's practice rounds) for any reason.
When I shoot my submachineguns with friends, they must supply their own FACTORY ammo to shoot. I have had 2 kabooms over the years and I don't want that to happen on my watch to anyone else.
I destroyed a S&W 3914 and blew up my Smith 76 subgun. The 76 was repaired with a new bolt and barrel. Thank goodness they are a STRONG tube gun. I almost threw up when it happened. I now do not try to set production output records with my Dillon 550.
The 3914 was replaced by S&W at cost. Both times it was my fault. I can't imagine what I would do if someone took out a bad guy (or even a good guy) with my ammo. I am sure a lawyer would have a field day with that one.

monadnock#5
10-10-2007, 08:30 AM
In the spirit of maintaining a great relationship with all its mutually beneficial aspects, you might consider purchasing factory ammo, delivered directly to your friend. You don't say how many reloads a year your friend shoots to know whether the idea would work for you. You would keep your steady source of wheel weights, maybe pick up a good deal on a used gun now and then, and have once fired brass sent to you in the bargain. Anyway, just a thought.

Texasflyboy
10-10-2007, 10:26 PM
In the spirit of maintaining a great relationship with all its mutually beneficial aspects, you might consider purchasing factory ammo, delivered directly to your friend. ... Anyway, just a thought.

A very wise thought. When I cruise the lanes at the Gunshows, 9 times out of 10 some old timer has a vintage box of .38's, 9's, 45's, etc... sitting there are usually 1/2 the price of new today.

I've always bought a few of those boxes for barter after carefully inspecting the rounds to ensure that they are factory new. I've done as you've suggested on more than one occasion, I've sweetened a wheelweight deal with "What kind of gun do you shoot? A .357? really? Here, have a box of ammo on me for the wheelweights".

Always works....

:-D

fatnhappy
10-11-2007, 12:19 AM
I would be interested in their opinion of where it ends. If someone shoots one of your guns at the range with your handloads did that make you a manufacturer?

Thankfully history has shown the ATF has common sense and a taste for restraint.

leftiye
10-11-2007, 12:47 AM
F&H - Huh?