PDA

View Full Version : First 225107 NOE Range Report

birch
07-21-2013, 09:23 PM
Well, I finally got some free time and decided to load up some plain base 225107 (NOE group buy mould) .37gr in my .22 Hornet. The Hornet is a CZ 527 American with a 1/16 twist. It is a 1" MOA gun with Herters 40gr JHP with 12.3gr of 1680. I would happily shoot those all day long, but at 20 dollars per 100 (if I can find them), I hope to find a PB load that it likes.

I got in on the group buy and bought a four cavity with two being gas checked.

The First Loads:

I recently found a thread that mentioned 3gr. of Titegroup for the .37gr Lyman version of the 225107 NOE mould. It suggests a muzzle velocity of 1300-1400 fps.

Powder: 3gr Titegroup
Boolit: 37gr plain base
OAL: cant remember--next time
Primers: Wolf Pistol
Size: Star .2265 die
Lube: NRA

I full length sized and trimmed and primed once fired Winchester WW brass. I then used a lyman M die for a slight throat flare. I didnt actually use the flare at the base of the extention. I just ran the plug all the way in the case mouth to expand the entire throat a little. I seated the boolit and put a slight crimp on the neck with a Lee collet crimp die.

Results:

Horrible. All rounds were fired at 25 yards on a lead sled. The first three shots grouped at a little under an inch. After that, things got very bad. I fired 25 rounds. The last three shots measured over 7 inches.

I checked the bore of my Cz and found what looked like leading, but turned out to be lube crusted with unburned powder.

My Theory: Poor powder choice/poor primer choice/oversized diameter.

Next time, I think I will try A1680 that works terrific with j-words. I don't think I was getting a hot burn with the wolf primers and the Titegroup. I also think I should try to size down to .225, but this will require the purchase of another star die. Sooo, the next review might be a month or so.

Since I have not seen much data for the recent NOE group buy, I plan on posting my results. If anyone has any info that might be helpful, please post.

sackot
07-21-2013, 11:37 PM
Have tried to upload a target image to photobucket, touch wood:

http://s1203.photobucket.com/user/sackot/media/225107_17_7_13.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Hope that works, I've only done it once before and have forgotten how.

Will try to interpret my hieroglyphics for you. These are three groups from plain base 225107, LLA tumble lube. From my mould they drop at 32gr, I sized to 225.
First two are with 2.0gr Red Dot, bottom is 2.0gr Titegroup. The "a+0" and "a+1" are number of firings since the brass was annealed, you can ignore that. The "cr" was that, like you, I crimped lightly with a Lee crimp die. The top group used Fed small pistol, the other two Fiocci small rifle primer. All are OAL 41.88mm, just covering the lube groove.

Rifle is Anschutz 1730 23" barrel 16 twist.

I'm hoping to do better, I'd like to match 22lr for accuracy, but since it's better than you are reporting you might like to try dropping the charge a bit before you give up on Titegroup.