PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes, I guess there just aren't enough rocks.

H.Callahan
07-20-2013, 11:36 AM
Less than a year ago, I lost my brother-in-law to cancer that had started in his kidneys and then exploded throughout his body. Good guy, ex-Marine, would give you the shirt off his back. Over this last Christmas, I lost my new grand nephew (and who would have been my BILs grandson) who, with his twin, was born prematurely, but did not pull through.

In April my wife of 35 years was diagnosed with uterine and ovarian cancer. She had surgery and is currently in chemo with radiation to follow. The cancer was extensive, but there is hope that they got it all. Time will tell.

This Thursday, I was diagnosed with liver and pancreatic cancer. At this point, it is too early to tell what the prognosis is. I have a lot of tough road ahead of me, regardless. Our daughter is a basket case at the moment with both her parents with cancer at the same time. I suspect there is going to be little time or ability to get the to range much for a while ... or any more for that matter.

Yesterday, we got the news that another BIL of mine had a heart attack and is looking at a quad or quintuple by-pass surgery. He is also a good guy and a shooter. We usually went to the range together when he was here to visit. Don't know what his long term prognosis is at this point either.

All in all, it has been a horrible year. I apologize for the downer post, but I just had to write it out somewhere, just to see if I could get it to sink in. Thanks for listening.

Sometimes, I guess there just aren't enough rocks.

sac_fff
07-20-2013, 11:43 AM
Our prayers are with you and your family. Wish I could say something more comforting.

MtGun44
07-20-2013, 12:31 PM
Are they calling your cancer "neuroendocrine"? If so PM me, I have a friend that has lived with
this for many years and is a real expert, can help a LOT with questions and connections.

Best wishes, old age isn't for wimps.

Bill

H.Callahan
07-20-2013, 12:52 PM
They haven't identified it yet. I have a biopsy scheduled for next week that should shed some light on it. The everyone's fingers are crossed that this is early. The hope is that since my blood tests recently have shown no decrease in liver function, plus the fact that I haven't had any major weight loss (mixed blessing, I guess!), that it might be.

The whole family has taken hit after hit for the past several month. I am concerned about everyone's mental state -- probably my own as well.

mroliver77
07-20-2013, 12:56 PM
Dang HC! Dont throw in the towel. My bud had esophagus cancer and had his esophagus removed and his stomach stretched into a new one. He had it in lymph nodes and all. Right now he is cancer free and doin what he wants to.
I will say a prayer for you and yourn.
Jay

DHurtig
07-20-2013, 12:56 PM
I know this will be difficult, but you have to be optimistic and refuse to give up.

In Dec of 2007 I was having terrible heart burn and after a particularly bad case one night I went to see the Dr. When I told him what had been going on for the last 4 months, he flipped out and scheduled me for a stress test the next day. I failed that miserably and found out that I had survived a massive heart attack on that night.

We got about half way home and my daughter that was home called the one driving me and said get back to the hospital. They put me in the cath lab and decided that my problems couldn't be solved there.

They took me into surgery the next morning at 7 o'clock the next morning. Dr told my wife that I would be there for 4 to 5 hours. They wheeled me out 12 1/2 hours later. They did 7 by passes. When they started my heart up again I was leaking blood all over the place. The heart attack had weakened my heart so bad that it split open. They put a teflon patch on that. I was still bleeding and they found that somehow, some one had nicked my pulmonary artery. They didn't think they were going to get the bleeding stopped, but finally got it and closed me up.

One Dr told my wife that she should call the family together because they may not get to see me again. Another Dr told my oldest daughter that if I survived. I would most likely be an invalid the rest of my life. I came out of anesthesia to our priest giving me the last rites. My wife believes that that is what saved my life. I couldn't talk because of the tube down my throat. My wife said that she could tell from the look on my face that I was p*ssed. She thinks I lived just to prove the priest wrong.

After the surgery, I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure. My heart function was down to 33%I was moving real slow, but I was back to work 3 months later. 11 months after surgery, I was diagnosed with an advanced case of a very aggressive prostate cancer. 2 years of hormone therapy and 2 months of radiation therapy and I am still cancer free. Heart function gradually improved and is now up to 43%.

You can't be weak and give up, you have to be strong and fight for your survival. Dale

WILCO
07-20-2013, 01:03 PM
I know this will be difficult, but you have to be optimistic and refuse to give up.

Great answer Dale!!!

Dale in Louisiana
07-20-2013, 01:39 PM
Dang it! I'm goona have to be a bit more of an upstanding citizen, what with all the prayers I need to send, yours included.

I can only hope that the Lord hears the prayers of this old reprobate for you and your family.

dale in Louisiana

Bad Water Bill
07-20-2013, 02:26 PM
One of the reason WE have OUR CHAPEL

It has helped many members so far.

TXGunNut
07-20-2013, 03:25 PM
Rough year indeed and no end in sight. Stay strong and fight the good fight, we're pulling for you.

smoked turkey
07-20-2013, 03:48 PM
Boy! Sometimes it just rains, and sometimes like in your case it is a real toad strangler. Life can be very difficult sometimes especially when it affects those we love so deeply. I pray for your family and that you will be able to lean on the everlasting arms of Jesus and He will see you through. You will Make It Through. Your wife of 35 years will be alright. She is in good hands.

DLCTEX
07-20-2013, 04:45 PM
Fight it with all you have! I'll be praying for you.

snuffy
07-20-2013, 06:38 PM
Another vote for keep fighting. In another month will be 4 years I've been fighting prostate cancer. Haven't beat it yet, won some battles, but not the war. I vowed to fight it with everything I had, and all the therapies called for.

08-2009 biopsy said prostate cancer. 08-2010 robotic removal of prostate. 03-2011 beamed radiation to "kill" the remaining cancer. 05-2012, hyperbaric chamber therapy to help heal the damage left by the radiation in my bladder and rectum. Now hormone therapy to cancel testosterone in my blood, to stall the further growth of the cancer, so far, it's working!

I too will pray for your family and BIL, the more that are praying, the better the outcome.

jmort
07-20-2013, 06:46 PM
"One of the reason WE have OUR CHAPEL"

End up praying every time I am on here. It is a goods thing we have The Chapel.
It is amazing how many ways satan has figured out how to kill us.

H.Callahan
07-22-2013, 01:36 PM
Thank for the words of encouragement guys. We are still kind of still in the absorbing-it-all phase at the moment. I really don't know yet, what MY reaction to this is going to be yet. I am certainly going to fight it and I hope I have some heart left to do it with. Right now, I am kind of dazed. Biopsy is tomorrow as is my BIL's bypass. Oncologist appointment on Thursday should shed some more light. ...I hope.

mikeym1a
07-22-2013, 05:45 PM
Seems your basket is overfull. My mother died when I was 27. My dad died last fall. I've had cancer myself. Life can be rough. But, seems it's been rougher on you than most. I feel for you, as I know some of what you're going through. Our thoughts and prayers be with you, and yours. God Bless.

mike

AricTheRed
07-22-2013, 06:02 PM
Life

Sometimes it is just another four letter word.

I also know that when we experience hard times it builds character, but it sure is tough to get such a big dose of character all at once.

I wish you and yours speedy recoveries.

Taylor
07-22-2013, 08:25 PM
No--please,never give up,hang in there brother.We need you.I can't imagine it being easy,do the best you can.

H.Callahan
07-29-2013, 01:39 PM
Well, all the tests are done except for one. Basically, I have non-operable stage 4 pancreatic cancer that has spread to the liver. The prognosis without treatment is 6 months to a year. The doctor told me that there are a lot of treatments available (also telling me that is due to none of them being universally effective, just more or less effective depending on the individual). I can probably not expect this to go into complete remission (although miracles have happened), but that hopefully they can beat it back some allowing for additional time. It will be a matter of going through all the therapies and clinical trials that might be available or until I can't tolerate the treatments any more.

Needless to say, I am currently a bit stunned. I am still processing all this and trying to figure out how to proceed with life from here.

Dakotared
07-29-2013, 04:44 PM
WOW man this truly sucks. Prayers are with you and your family. May god bring peace to your family and your loved ones.

If you do not mind me asking what symptoms did you have that brought you into the doctor?

BruceB
07-29-2013, 05:47 PM
"CANCER".... the filthiest, most horrible word in our language.

As the survivor (so far) of a number of cancers and surgeries for same, I extend my deepest sympathies.

It's a helpless feeling, watching the onslaught of this horrid condition, and being utterly unable to do anything except offer moral support. All the same, it often seems that the patient truly appreciates the support and, at last mentally, is reinforced in his or her determination to fight it out.

I hope that this applies here and now.

mroliver77
07-29-2013, 06:26 PM
I am speechless HC! All I can say is that I am here for you and will pray for you and yours.
Jay

H.Callahan
07-30-2013, 11:46 AM
I really appreciate the support. At the moment, things are looking good for my wife, at least. The doctors think they got all the cancer surgically, the chemo and radiation are mostly preventative/clean up. Me, not so much, but I can deal with me if she is going to be all right.

If you do not mind me asking what symptoms did you have that brought you into the doctor?
When I eat or drink something, I started getting a pain in my gut just below the sternum. I also was getting gas (burping) WAY out of proportion to whatever it was I ate. After a little bit, the pain would spread around both sides to my back. I also get that feeling that I have grossly overeaten and feel full to the point of the thought of food being unappealing. I have stopped eating much, just to avoid the pain and discomfort. I have lost weight (not a bad thing, in my case!) just due to minimal eating. It is generally better in the morning and I can usually get something down before it gets out of hand. I have found things like milk shakes, pudding, jello, etc. settle a little better, but there are times that I can't eat anything after about noon or so.

searcher4851
07-30-2013, 03:40 PM
Good luck and hang in there. Good news about the wife.