PDA

View Full Version : Case 730 tractor issues

gew98
07-20-2013, 07:47 AM
My neighbor has a case 730 tractor. It's old and looks abused but runs like a champ.
Anyhow it has a recurring problem with the shifter on the transmission. Apparently the machined end of the shifter is worn and every now and then it pops out of place rendering the tractor unmoveable. Last time it did this a service guy came out and removed the shifeter and through the 2 - " hole used a small long flat bar to pop the forks in place on the synchromesh and had it going in under 15 mins. Same tech no longer is in the area and the company sent out a well meaning fellow but he spent three hours and could not get the peices aligned to put the shifter back in.
So my question is where can one find a picture of the forks and synchromesh where they need to be to drop the shifter back in and roll on ?.

pmer
07-20-2013, 10:00 AM
I had a Massey Harris 55 that would do the same thing and likewise you could slide it back in position with the cover off. The repair for mine was replacing the springs that pushed the balls against notches in the shifter rails. The trouble being one of rails moving when the ball and detent should have kept it still and two rails moving together.

You might have to go to implement dealer and get a IT manual for a picture but if your mechanical enough you should be able to remove the top cover and see where the fork goes. Maybe have the tech back out to finish would be a option.

Tractorshed.com has forums for Case and other brands too.

gew98
07-20-2013, 10:04 AM
pmer ; Thanks. I'll look into the tractorshed.com site. It's a super pain to have to get the 'top cover off'. Looking through the 2-3" shifter hole does not show enough for me to know where the position to achieve neutral is to make it roll.

pmer
07-20-2013, 10:41 AM
Thinking back to when I had that tractor I did use a welder and added some material to the end of the shift lever but it didn't help.

I'm starting to think you can slide it back to neutral. If you look in that hole you should see rectangular blocks with a notch. The shift lever fits in that notch. A 5 speed in neutral should have 3 blocks side by side with the notches in a row allowing the shifter to move back and forth.

I bet that first tech used the long rod and stuck it into the oil and felt around for a gear and slid it one way or the other. It's one of those things that will go quicker the second or third time you do it. Try not to use excessive force in there because your pushing on edges of gear teeth.

pmer
07-20-2013, 11:11 AM
I just thought of another thing. If the tractor is on a hill it will have pressure on that gear set and it won't slide to neutral. Good luck with the Case.

ggb3
07-20-2013, 12:46 PM
Another good site is YTMAG or Yesterdays tractors. Been there off and on since the 90's.

WILCO
07-20-2013, 01:09 PM
http://www.repairmanualpdf.com/category/tractors-excavator-forklift-mower-cranes-port-equipment/case-ih-case-international/page/3