PDA

View Full Version : Lubed boolits FTF and FTE

Lights
07-20-2013, 01:22 AM
So earlier this week I got to shoot some cast boolits out of my 45acp 1911. They were cast from my new Accurate 452-200C mold. Which is a 200gr TC boolit. I used some Klass Kote epoxy to coat them. It works pretty much just like the Hy-Tek coating does. I had great results. No FTF or FTE's and they were accurate. But they did leave a small bit of leading/streaking in the barrel. Not vary much but it was there. So I decided to pan lube some boolits and give them a try. I loaded 16 rounds with CR and 16 rounds with Tac #1. These where pushed by 6.0 grains of W231. The OAL was set at 1.175". The Tac #1 ran through the gun with out any problems. But about shot #6 of the CR lube I got a stovepipe. Then about ever other round I would have a FTF. I then switched back to just plain Klass Kote coated boolits. The second round FTF, then I had no more problems with FTF or FTE for over 20 more rounds. I was not limp wrist'ing the gun. What would cause this? My shooting bag was in the car for about an hour before I got to the range, do to some stops along they way. So they may have been about 100 degrees in the car for around 1/2 hour. Would that had maybe contaminated the powder? Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
Mark

btroj
07-20-2013, 05:33 AM
Did you get an CR on the outside of the case? Sometimes when crimping or seating. Bullet some will get squished onto the outside to the case. CR can, if enough is there, cause a failure to ca,her fully. It is thick and sticky enough to slow the round down and eat up the energy for the slide moving forward.

randyrat
07-20-2013, 07:42 AM
How is your chamber. Is it relieved slightly for feeding. What I'm mean to say is there a sharp edge that needs to be relieved ever so slightly... Sometimes a sharp chamber will pick up a hard lube and cause feed problems, but TAC 1 is softer and it does not effect it. (I'm short on words this morning bare with me)
NOt ENouHG coffee yeT

***Side note*** don't over look IMR SR4756 someday...Good velocity & low pressure. Excellent cast boolit powder in the auto

captaint
07-20-2013, 07:49 AM
Kinda sounds like the more you fired the gun, the worse the condition got. Maybe the chamber was getting gunked up in the process with one lube or the other ?? Mike

Lights
07-20-2013, 08:41 AM
Did you get an CR on the outside of the case? Sometimes when crimping or seating. Bullet some will get squished onto the outside to the case. CR can, if enough is there, cause a failure to ca,her fully. It is thick and sticky enough to slow the round down and eat up the energy for the slide moving forward.

Yes there was some but I wiped it off. I bet I did not get all of it and it built up. Then it started to clean it self out after I went to the Klass Kote rounds.

Randyrat, The Tac #1 has been right at the top for lubes for my 9 and my 45. Great stuff.