PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Casting / Smelting Clothes

gspgundog
07-19-2013, 03:53 PM
I normally wear the same clothes when I am smelting or casting and they are getting to the point they need to be washed. Problem is during the course of smelting or casting I have been visited by the tinsle fairy and I have some lead or alloy on them. From what I have read they say you should not wash them because it will contaminate the washer so the question is how do you clean your smelting clothes or do you just throw them out.

country gent
07-19-2013, 03:56 PM
You can do a simple "pre wash" with hot water and soap in a bucket out side and then wash as normal. A five gallon bucket with soap and water agitate by hand and let soak for 15-20 mins then agitate again rinse and wash.

WILCO
07-19-2013, 05:17 PM
If they're too far gone, toss them out. My casting and smelting clothes are my work around the house clothes. Nothing special and nothing overly exposed.

canyon-ghost
07-19-2013, 06:22 PM
High phosphate dishwasher detergent is better if you use an automatic washer. Just cycle it through twice to get the soap out, it's slimy and doesn't readily wash out. Cascade powder or such works better than standard soaps.

Dale in Louisiana
07-19-2013, 06:29 PM
take 'em to the local laundromat. Mine has a 'bundle service'. You drop 'em off, come back a couple hours later and pick 'em up. Pay by the pound. Leave a tip.

dale in Louisiana.

imashooter2
07-19-2013, 06:39 PM
"Contaminate the washer." I suspect this has a lot more to do with our ability to detect infinitesimal quantities of trace elements than it does with risk to human health.

xs11jack
07-19-2013, 11:39 PM
I would have to agree with ImaShooter2, I think that health zelots cause a lot of usless time and money wasted on minescule amounts of some obscure heath hazard. Too many others blow it all out of proportion and the next thing everyone is chicken with the head cut off crazy!! If the idea still bothers you, get a leather welders jacket that has long sleeves,etc. Just use it for casting. Be Happy Happy Happy!
Ole Jack

btroj
07-19-2013, 11:47 PM
The lead splatter is elemental lead. The oxides are what are easily absorbed into the boys, not the elemental form. The oxides are easily washed out in the laundry cycle. Finding bits of lead in the washer isn't a big deal. Pick em out and throw them in the next smelt.

jcwit
07-20-2013, 01:14 AM
Elemental lead as in lead spatter is of little issue, to you or the washer. Lead compounds as in oxcides and primer residue is where the problem lies. Just wash your clothe and no worry.

MaryB
07-20-2013, 02:05 AM
Repaired electronics for 27 years, washed jeans with solder splats all the time.

mikeym1a
07-20-2013, 05:28 AM
If the tinsel is too much, I sit and peel it off, and save it for the next smelt. Otherwise, they go into the wash with the other stuff. Much of it come off, and seem to settle into my pockets..............

Dave C.
07-20-2013, 10:37 AM
If you are worried about it go to the salvation army outlet and buy some used clothing to cast in. It is cheap and helps good people do good things.
When they get crusty toss them.

Dave C.

Alan in Vermont
07-20-2013, 12:41 PM
"Contaminate the washer." I suspect this has a lot more to do with our ability to detect infinitesimal quantities of trace elements than it does with risk to human health.

Tht was my reaction as well. Just more "the sky is falling" BS from the safety zealots. I've got a lot of other concerns that rate waaaaaay higher than whatever miniscule amounts of lead might be involved in washing a shirt with some tinsel on it.

Bad Water Bill
07-20-2013, 12:52 PM
If you are removing old paint from ANYWHERE you will have problems as the nasty lead compounds were in the paint.

One family I knew was restoring an old mansion in Chit Kaga.

Mom and dad sanded walls every day not knowing about toxic lead paint.

Results were mom,dad 3 year old daughter,unborn daughter + all of the eggs the 3 females were carrying were all lead poisoned.

Lead was banned from ALL paint in 1978. If your home was built before that take care.

Very few places ever warn you so I just have.

And YES I did know that family.

MtGun44
07-20-2013, 04:07 PM
Just wash in the washer, no big deal.
Contaminate the washer - not likely.

Gee whiz guys, this isn't some kind of radioactive hyper poison.

Yes, lead is toxic.

Just don't eat it and wash your hands and you will be fine.

Bill

DRNurse1
07-21-2013, 03:18 PM
Wow!

>>Change your clothes and wash your hands.
>>Do not inhale stuff (you cannot properly source).
>>Help out our neighbors [thanks Dave C].
>>Beware of the government trying to help you.

Sounds like the things I am trying to teach my kids.

searcher4851
07-23-2013, 03:00 PM
I just toss mine in the washing machine and don't worry about it.