PDA

View Full Version : My smelting setup...

AZ-Stew
10-07-2007, 12:06 PM
Well, it finally cooled off enough that I could stand to fire up the smelter and render the WW I had picked up some time back.

The stove is an Explorer model, made by Camp-Chef, that I got at Sportsman's Warehouse. The nice thing about it is that with two burners I can render stink-ons in one pot, while I melt clip-ons in the other to keep the pure lead separate from the WW. It's sturdy enough to easily support both pots full of alloy. The legs slide off after loosening a thumb screw, so I can stand the stove on end in the space between my safe and the end of my loading bench for storage.

I bought the WW from one of the local tire stores for $6/box, @ about 40lb/box. The first box I opened was about 50-50 stink-on and clip-on. The other three boxes were almost all clip-on. They looked like they had already been sorted by someone. I ended up with about a box and a third of waste - WW clips, label trash, valve stems, etc. I also found something that I haven't seen mentioned here. I found some stink-ons that appear to be zinc. I didn't throw them in the pot to see if they would melt, I just set them aside while I was sorting. I run my WW rendering pot between 600-700 degrees to keep from melting any zinc WWs that get past a visual sort. The pure lead stink-on pot I run at full blast to speed up the melt. Since the temperature runs higher in this pot, I have to be careful what I put in it. I didn't take a photo of the possible zinc stick-on for this post, but I'll try to get one posted later.

Photo 1: Stink-ons on the left, clip-ons on the right.

Photo 2: Closer view.

Photo 3: Smeltin' and-a Smokin'.

Photo 4: Yield: 132 WW ingots, 20 pure lead ingots.

Should keep me in bullets for a while.

Regards,

Stew

jdhenry
10-07-2007, 01:27 PM
NICE!!!!!!!!! I have one of those stoves and I tryed to use it and the wife said no. She said it is for her canning not for my lead. So I used the turkey fryer.

AZ-Stew
10-07-2007, 02:30 PM
I forgot to mention that I'm going to use it for home-brewing beer, too.

Regards,

Stew

Cayoot
10-07-2007, 02:39 PM
I forgot to mention that I'm going to use it for home-brewing beer, too.

Regards,

Stew

Ahhhhh...One tool to do so many important things!!!!:drinks:

targetshootr
10-07-2007, 06:03 PM
Nice going. Awfully tidy work area. Mine looks like a war zone.

:castmine:

gray wolf
10-07-2007, 06:19 PM
very , very nice setup. I like it.
But there is nothing to trip over.

trickyasafox
10-07-2007, 07:05 PM
very nice. how much do those ingots weigh? a lb or two?

AZ-Stew
10-07-2007, 09:42 PM
They're from a standard Lyman ingot mould. They're supposed to be 1lb each, but there's no mark in the mould that tells how full it has to be to make a pound. I'll have to weigh some and find out.

Regards,

Stew

GLL
10-07-2007, 10:00 PM
AZ:

VERY nice haul and setup !

I also use a CAMP-CHEF stove for smelting.

Mine is a short single burner version of their "HIGH PRESSURE" model. This thing gets much hotter than the standard burners and sounds like a 747 when turned up full throttle ! :)

The short legs allow me to put 250 pounds of alloy in the large "pot" shown and still have great stability.
That company's stoves are very well built !

Jerry

http://www.fototime.com/884739BFB73F683/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/81709C22AE6BD45/standard.jpg