PDA

View Full Version : SCORE! I Got Lead!

jonp
07-19-2013, 10:52 AM
I'm on the road and my semi starts to shake a little so I pull it into the tire shop. Our company just switched dealers so its my first time here. The manager is showing me the new steer tires and says all they need to do is balance them and i'm ready. Balance? Um..with a straight face I ask
"You use wheelweights"?
"Yup"
"Um..what you do with the old ones"?
" Save some for a guy stops every once in a while. He makes sinkers"
" Hmmm... Think I could get some for casting boolets"?
"Sure, stop every couple of weeks and I'll save a 5 gallon bucket for you"

BOOYAH!

How many lbs of WW from Semi's you figure in a 5 gal bucket?:bigsmyl2:

kevindtimm
07-19-2013, 12:17 PM
How many lbs of WW from Semi's you figure in a 5 gal bucket?:bigsmyl2:

Probably the same # of lbs of WW you'd get from cars in a 5 gal bucket......

tyeo098
07-19-2013, 02:25 PM
Whats heavier a pound of feathers or a bound of lead?

Err...

Whats heavier a pound of semi WW's or a pound of auto WW's? :D

TenTea
07-19-2013, 03:03 PM
Bigguns do make the sortin' go easier iffn ya do it by hand. ;-)

ukrifleman
07-19-2013, 03:35 PM
Lucky you!, just make sure you sort the zink from the lead.
I was given 50lb of w/w and got 12lb of lead after sorting (not that I am complaining!)
ukrifleman

Benjlan
07-19-2013, 07:31 PM
Zinc is getting to be a problem for me as well. But as stated cannot argue with free

leeggen
07-19-2013, 09:23 PM
There will be fewer wheel weights in the bucket of semi tire weights than in an auto weight bucket, BUT pound fer pound who cares lead is lead. This is the only sight people get excited over scap!!!! What an addiction, wonder if the is a lead AA I can go to. I can see it now Hi i'm CD I'm addicted to lead!!!! Gentleman I have been in those AA meetings and they work, 20 yr free and clean. Now I pick up another addiction===OH MY.
CD

jonp
07-20-2013, 06:29 AM
Boy, this is a tough crowd! "how many lbs" was rhetorical. I know a lb is a lb. the mgr also told me that they are all lead coww not zinc.
The operative term here is FREE!

Randy C
07-21-2013, 06:56 AM
I would think there would be less in a bucket of TK weights they are large, smaller weights from a car might fill up bucket tighter less air space, Free! Free! Free! Do you need a new friend
There is a thread that talks about how much a 5 gallon bucket holds.

Gohon
07-21-2013, 08:04 AM
Smaller wheel weights means a lot more metal clips also. I would think pound for pound a five gallon bucket would contain about the same for each. Don't know if it is true or not, probable not, but I was once told the big truck wheel weights contain a tad more antimony to assist them keeping their shape on the large rims.

jonp
07-21-2013, 09:17 AM
Smaller wheel weights means a lot more metal clips also. I would think pound for pound a five gallon bucket would contain about the same for each. Don't know if it is true or not, probable not, but I was once told the big truck wheel weights contain a tad more antimony to assist them keeping their shape on the large rims.
hmmm...how would you test for antimony content? It would just be apparent in bhn of the boolit pretty much, no?

BattleRife
07-21-2013, 10:59 AM
I only have limited experience with wheel weights for heavy trucks, but from what I have seen it the best way there is to get wheel weights. No stick ons, no zinc, and no iron weights. Very few steel clips for a whole lot of hardenable lead. I say great score.

shadygrady
07-21-2013, 11:48 AM
send that zinc to me for lead

Randy C
07-23-2013, 07:22 PM
I never thought of it that way.

**oneshot**
07-24-2013, 09:01 AM
less clips, more dirt so it kinda evens out the poundage.

sawzall
07-27-2013, 12:17 AM
I only have limited experience with wheel weights for heavy trucks, but from what I have seen it the best way there is to get wheel weights. No stick ons, no zinc, and no iron weights. Very few steel clips for a whole lot of hardenable lead. I say great score.
Actually they are using zinc for big truck wheel weights now too. I've got a bunch of 'em.

jonp
07-27-2013, 06:47 AM
Hmmm. Mgr said theh were lead. Guess we will find out. I go by there a couple times a week so no problem stopping. If they are zinc I can still send them to shadygrady for lead. The cost of shipping seems like a good deal to me