PDA

View Full Version : 35 Rem brass

garym1a2
07-19-2013, 08:32 AM
Stupid question, but I want to load 35 Rem for my brother and cann not find brass. Does anyone know where to get them for a reasonable price?

Clay M
07-19-2013, 10:41 AM
Good luck. 35 rem is made seasonally ,so you may see some in the next few months.
Cabelas usually has it when it is available.

john hayslip
07-19-2013, 11:51 AM
Hit me with a pm if you don't get a reply as I've got more used than I'll ever need. I will be in and out for a few days so it may take a while to respond. Will sell or trade for cast bullets if you have a mold for same. I shoot a Marlin 336 rifle in that caliber I purchased recently

357Mag
07-19-2013, 12:56 PM
Gary -

Howdy !

I will only use/shoot Rem' brand .35Rem brass.

I got my last batch formm " Buffalo Arms ".

With regards,
357Mag

OverMax
07-19-2013, 01:20 PM
I've had dealings with Mr. Hayslip in the past myself. Excellent experience on this end.

John do you remember sending me some 256 Marlin to help me out a year or so ago? As you can see John I've haven't forgotten about your generosity Sir.

O/M

Lefty SRH
07-19-2013, 01:59 PM
Buffalo Arms is your best bet. Better get it while you can. Remington has supposedly discontinued their case.

Duckiller
07-19-2013, 03:30 PM
Huntinton in Oroville Ca had some Winchester brand brass. When I got mine he didn't know when Rem. was going to make any. Talked about a minimum order of 250000 pieces.

BruceB
07-19-2013, 03:47 PM
Although there was little interest when I last posted this, I just want it known that it's not particularly difficult to create functional .35 Remington brass from .308 Winchester cases.

For handloaders, all is not lost!

garym1a2
07-19-2013, 04:31 PM
Any details how this is done? Buffalo arms is out of stock.

Although there was little interest when I last posted this, I just want it known that it's not particularly difficult to create functional .35 Remington brass from .308 Winchester cases.

For handloaders, all is not lost!

uscra112
07-19-2013, 06:04 PM
Although there was little interest when I last posted this, I just want it known that it's not particularly difficult to create functional .35 Remington brass from .308 Winchester cases. For handloaders, all is not lost!

Having made .22 Lovell from .223, I know it's possible, but it isn't going to be just a matter of crowding the .308 case into a .35 Rem die and cutting to length. The base and the extractor groove will need trimming, which is a lathe job. And of course the neck must be turned.

Lefty SRH
07-19-2013, 06:57 PM
Having made .22 Lovell from .223, I know it's possible, but it isn't going to be just a matter of crowding the .308 case into a .35 Rem die and cutting to length. The base and the extractor groove will need trimming, which is a lathe job. And of course the neck must be turned.

I've read the process and its rather invovled to say the least. Winchester brass is easier to find than Remington.

altheating
07-19-2013, 08:38 PM
Post your needs in the swapping and selling section. Why try to make it when people in the forum have it. I just traded for a whole bunch of 35 rem in there.

BruceB
07-19-2013, 09:40 PM
Yep... see what I mean, about the nay-sayers?

It takes ONE trip into a .44 Magnum sizer, and ONE trip into a .35 Remington sizer. Then, a trim (aided by an ELECTRIC drill) and a quick filing of the base diameter in a drill or drill press. It is NOT a"lathe job", although a lathe could be used. Total time per case is under two minutes in my estimation. NO MODIFICATION of the extractor groove is needed. My altered .308s work perfectly in my .35 Marlin.

How danged lazy are you people? This is FREE .35 brass using the .308s that are so very commonly found. This is a hobby, and most of us have many potential uses for every "hobby dollar" we can round up, meaning that anything we can save in one place has many potential uses elsewhere. There's a long tradition in this hobby of modifying cases to serve the purposes of the handloader, and long experience has proven such modifications to be a very valuable method of extending our shooting activities. However, if SOME people prefer not to do so.....

This also a viable source for the cases that Remington MAY be dropping from their line. Instead of moaning about Remington's actions, GET BUSY and DO something to help yourselves. I find it difficult to understand objections to a process that yields a BENEFIT to those using the cartridge. Are y'all really that short-sighted?

I once discovered some 7.62x39 cases in a batch of pick-up brass.... made from .220 SWIFT cases! Now, THAT was a determined handloader, to undertake such a radical changeover as that.

garym1a2
07-19-2013, 09:46 PM
It does not sound much worse than making blackout brass.

It takes ONE trip into a .44 Magnum sizer, and ONE trip into a .35 Remington sizer. Then, a trim (aided by an ELECTRIC drill) and a quick filing of the base diameter in a drill or drill press. It is NOT a"lathe job", although a lathe could be used. Total time per case is under two minutes in my estimation. NO MODIFICATION of the extractor groove is needed. My altered .308s work perfectly in my .35 Marlin.

How danged lazy are you people? This is FREE .35 brass using the .308s that are so very commonly found. This is a hobby, and most of us have many potential uses for every "hobby dollar" we can round up, meaning that anything we can save in one place has many potential uses elsewhere. There's a long tradition in this hobby of modifying cases to serve the purposes of the handloader, and long experience has proven such modifications to be a very valuable method of extending our shooting activities. However, if SOME people prefer not to do so.....

This also a viable source for the cases that Remington MAY be dropping from their line. Instead of moaning about Remington's actions, GET BUSY and DO something to help yourselves. I find it difficult to understand objections to a process that yields a BENEFIT to those using the cartridge. Are y'all really that short-sighted?

I once discovered some 7.62x39 cases in a batch of pick-up brass.... made from .220 SWIFT cases! Now, THAT was a determined handloader, to undertake such a radical changeover as that.

TXGunNut
07-19-2013, 09:53 PM
If you find brass it will likely be Winchester, Remington quit making it about the same time new Remlin 336's in 35 Rem started hitting the new gun racks. Go figure!
Good news is I've had decent results with WW brass in this cartridge.

Lefty SRH
07-19-2013, 10:03 PM

So stick a 308 case into a 44 mag sizing die, then into a 35 sizing die and trim the excess? Thats a whole lot easier than I read!
I've been wanting a 35 Remmy in a bolt gun and I have a 308 action, SO doesn't sound like I need to even trim the bases....NICE!
I'll try it!

TXGunNut
07-19-2013, 10:13 PM
So stick a 308 case into a 44 mag sizing die, then into a 35 sizing die and trim the excess? Thats a whole lot easier than I read!
I've been wanting a 35 Remmy in a bolt gun and I have a 308 action, SO doesn't sound like I need to even trim the bases....NICE!
I'll try it!

What about 358 Winchester?

wrench man
07-20-2013, 12:41 AM
Cabela's and the LGS here have had Remington 35 Remington on the racks for months now!, I've not picked any up as I have about 500? WW 35 Rem on hand.

Ed in North Texas
07-20-2013, 06:55 AM
Buffalo Arms is your best bet. Better get it while you can. Remington has supposedly discontinued their case.

Last new I bought was Winchester from Midway. I believe I read that Remington is discontinuing all brass sales, but I could be mistaken.

Ed in North Texas
07-20-2013, 06:59 AM
The conversion information is very good, and thank you.

The insults (lazy, short-sighted) for ""...SOME people..." who choose to use THEIR money and THEIR time otherwise is not good at all.

Lefty SRH
07-20-2013, 08:50 AM
Yeah I didn't care for the insult either.

FrankG
07-20-2013, 11:25 AM
358 win from 308 win or 7.62x51 is a simple trip through a 358 win FL size die after annealing necks then trim to length. Goes much smoother if your size die has tapered expander button .

izzyjoe
07-20-2013, 11:44 AM
i'm glad that i have pletty on hand, but i'm not affraid to make it from 22-250, 243, but i will not use my 308 brass. desprate times, call for desprate measure's. and just because someone post something on here, and it got little interest, don't think it was'nt noted!

uscra112
07-20-2013, 06:03 PM

How danged lazy are you people? This is FREE .35 brass using the .308s that are so very commonly found. This is a hobby, and most of us have many potential uses for every "hobby dollar" we can round up, meaning that anything we can save in one place has many potential uses elsewhere. There's a long tradition in this hobby of modifying cases to serve the purposes of the handloader, and long experience has proven such modifications to be a very valuable method of extending our shooting activities. However, if SOME people prefer not to do so..

OK, Bruce, your snark is duly noted. Now on to our muttons:

I did this last night, just for grins. It took about ten count 'em TEN passes to get a PMC .308 case all the way into a .35 Rem die, using a Lyman Orange Crusher press. You are are using some sort of hydraulic press maybe?

Most critically, to avoid a discontinuity in the fillet between the wall and the web you have to crowd it in until an ordinary toggle press is on the verge of breaking something. Failure to do this will get you a case that is halfway to a head separation. I've done this process on four different conversions, and I section cases, so I ain't just whistlin' Dixie. Will everyone who tries this appreciate that?

Over. . . .

ammohead
07-20-2013, 11:19 PM
Gunbroker.com has 3 listings for 35 rem brass.

uscra112
07-21-2013, 02:44 AM
Gunbroker.com has 3 listings for 35 rem brass.

Yeah, it's really not that much of a problem if you're patient. For my part I have all I'll ever need or want, so I don't even look for it anymore. And it's not like, say .22 Lovell, which has been a dead letter since about 1950. There's only a few hundred thousand 336 Marlins out there that still get used every deer season, and as far as I know you can still get a 336 in .35 Rem.

Salmoneye
07-21-2013, 12:10 PM
OK, Bruce, your snark is duly noted. Now on to our muttons:

I did this last night, just for grins. It took about ten count 'em TEN passes to get a PMC .308 case all the way into a .35 Rem die, using a Lyman Orange Crusher press. You are are using some sort of hydraulic press maybe?

Most critically, to avoid a discontinuity in the fillet between the wall and the web you have to crowd it in until an ordinary toggle press is on the verge of breaking something. Failure to do this will get you a case that is halfway to a head separation. I've done this process on four different conversions, and I section cases, so I ain't just whistlin' Dixie. Will everyone who tries this appreciate that?

Over. . . .

Here is his full process:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?23516-35-Remington-brass-buy-or-re-form&p=320637&viewfull=1#post320637

Hatiwolf
07-21-2013, 02:04 PM
If nothing else its still for sale on the shelves locally for an average of 28.99 a box. I picked up a box of Leverevolution a week ago but havent had a chance to try it.

richhodg66
07-21-2013, 02:39 PM
Has anyone seen anything official from Remington about the brass being discontinued? I have enough to last me a while, probably a very long while at the rate I've used it the last few years, but rifles in it aren't uncommon and I have my doubts they'd quit producing it. Seems they're almost as common as .300 Savage rifles and that is still fairly commonly available ammo, not gonna find it on the shelf at Wal Mart most likely, but any decent gun shop will have a box or two.

nodda duma
07-21-2013, 02:59 PM
I bought a bag in the Cabela's in Louisville KY on the drive home from visiting my folks in Southern MO. I am resizing it for 6.5 Japanese, and could not find 35 Remington anywhere. Talk about a lucky break.

This was Remington brand brass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

ammohead
07-21-2013, 04:22 PM
I believe that it is seasonal to begin with. And with the current situation none of the major manufacturers are making anything but the "sold the instant it hits the shelves" calibers/cartridges. I think it is going to be a tough deer season for them that don't already have ammo. Unless they hunt with the top ten. It is times like these that I am glad I reload and cast. With about 80 pounds of assorted powders. Over 1000 pounds of alloy, and lots of primers I am good for awhile.

richhodg66
07-21-2013, 04:29 PM
I believe that it is seasonal to begin with. And with the current situation none of the major manufacturers are making anything but the "sold the instant it hits the shelves" calibers/cartridges. I think it is going to be a tough deer season for them that don't already have ammo. Unless they hunt with the top ten.

I had never owned a .270 before this year. Just never thought it could do anything a .30-06 couldn't do better and I still believe that.

But...

Boxes of .270 ammo were the one kind of centerfire rifle ammo that Wal Mart in my town NEVER went zero balance on during the entire shortage and I noticed that even now, there' s more of it than any other there. I happened on a package deal that included a nice Sears Model 50 in .270. My intent was to rebarrel it someday, but with standard Winchester factory stuff it was so accurate, I don't have the heart to do that now. So it'll sit as a hedge against future shortages for a while. There's a lot to be said for going with what the masses have sometimes.

EDG
07-21-2013, 08:09 PM
I have 2 steel .44 Mag sizing dies that have cracks from sizing .308 brass to make 6.5 Jap.
Of course you could make .35 Rem the same way.
But why? So you can have a box of .35 Rem brass headstamped Match?

TXGunNut
07-21-2013, 11:25 PM
Has anyone seen anything official from Remington about the brass being discontinued? I have enough to last me a while, probably a very long while at the rate I've used it the last few years, but rifles in it aren't uncommon and I have my doubts they'd quit producing it. Seems they're almost as common as .300 Savage rifles and that is still fairly commonly available ammo, not gonna find it on the shelf at Wal Mart most likely, but any decent gun shop will have a box or two.

For the last few years it was seasonal, they made a run once a year or so. Midway says it's discontinued and on an earlier thread I think someone got confirmation from RP. RP is not getting out of the component brass business, I suspect they are focusing their efforts on the top-selling cases until things slow down a bit.

uscra112
07-22-2013, 02:47 PM
Well, it it is discontinued, there's another product for Jamison to add to their line.

357maximum
07-22-2013, 08:53 PM
Well, it it is discontinued, there's another product for Jamison to add to their line.

A pass with a 358Winchester reamer and a stamp on the barrel that says "356Rimless" will also fix that issue. I am glad I am a hoarder at times like these.

Mk42gunner
07-23-2013, 12:38 AM

Well shoot, now I have a reason to keep the set of Lyman 44 mag dies that I got for $4.00 at an auction. Or maybe get a Lee push thru sizer.

I have enough factory .35 on hand for now, but who knows what will happen in the next thirty or forty years.

Robert

Hatiwolf
08-03-2013, 01:01 AM
Ive been buying the leverevolution new for $28 per box in the last few months. Either its hitting the shelves or im the only one actually buying it locally. Picked up remington recently from academy so they for sure have not discontinued it yet or thats been hiding in the warehouse this whole time during the "crisis".

LeftyDon
08-07-2013, 05:23 PM
I was searching for 30 Remington brass for a long time, none in stock except $$ loaded cartridges at a few places. Then Huntington was updating their website and in the "new" listings they had 200 pieces listed as being in stock. I placed an order and nothing happened for nearly 2 weeks (sign of the times?) regarding the original order confirmation from Huntington. So I emailed them and they said they couldn't find the order. Yikes! Good thing I keep the original confirmation and so I forwarded a copy and got my brass. I'll bet 30 Rem, which has been hard to find for years, is also on the discontinued list if 35 Rem is there. Next thing will be trying to reload .22LR's if things don't get better soon. :sad: