PDA

View Full Version : Good Report

45 Shooter
07-18-2013, 08:11 PM
Well i'm a noob at casting boolits and reloading. I've been casting for, maybe a month and have perfected my 230 grain .45 ACP rounds (TL452-230-TC Lee double cavity mould).

I got my Lee Breech Lock Challenger kit this past sunday and loaded up my first 10 rounds using the above mentioned boolit using 5.0 grains of 231, Federal primers and Federal once fired brass.

I was supose to wait untill this saturday to go test the 20 rounds I made up but I just couldn't help myself. So today after I got off work I hit the range.

I'm very pleased to report that all 20 rounds fired through my 3.5 inch barreled American Metro Arms Amigo flawlessly. The best part was the accuracy. It was suprising vs. factory range fodder, i've never shot that good before and the barrel had ZERO lead deposited in it. :bigsmyl2:

I do however have a couple questions.
1. Was 20 rounds enough to see leading if it was going to lead?
2. My boolits are casting out to around 235 grains, never had one over 235.5 grains. Is this normal?

Dakotared
07-19-2013, 09:24 AM
I have the Lee 230gr RN TL in 6 cavity and they all cast out to about 235 gr. From what I have seen in 20 rounds if it was going to lead at all you would see it with that amount.

On my gun and that bullet clean up is a snap. Not sure how I got so lucky on my first go round with this bullet but it is by far my easiest gun to clean.

ku4hx
07-19-2013, 09:32 AM
1. Hard to say for a variety of reasons. You might see some, but 20 rounds is way too few for me to declare victory.
2. Yep, it's normal. Unless you use the exact same alloy cast at the exact same temperature at which the mold was standardized you'll never get the exact advertised weight. And maybe not then since manufacturing tolerances always enter into the picture.

MtGun44
07-19-2013, 07:37 PM
Congratulations on your success!

Never be certain with only 20 rds, but a very good indicator.

Molds cast different weights with different alloys, no problems.

Bill

williamwaco
07-19-2013, 07:39 PM
Well i'm a noob at casting boolits and reloading. I've been casting for, maybe a month and have perfected my 230 grain .45 ACP rounds (TL452-230-TC Lee double cavity mould).

I got my Lee Breech Lock Challenger kit this past sunday and loaded up my first 10 rounds using the above mentioned boolit using 5.0 grains of 231, Federal primers and Federal once fired brass.

I was supose to wait untill this saturday to go test the 20 rounds I made up but I just couldn't help myself. So today after I got off work I hit the range.

I'm very pleased to report that all 20 rounds fired through my 3.5 inch barreled American Metro Arms Amigo flawlessly. The best part was the accuracy. It was suprising vs. factory range fodder, i've never shot that good before and the barrel had ZERO lead deposited in it. :bigsmyl2:

I do however have a couple questions.
1. Was 20 rounds enough to see leading if it was going to lead?
2. My boolits are casting out to around 235 grains, never had one over 235.5 grains. Is this normal?

Yes

No. That is MUCH better than normal. I would expect a variation of four to five grains in a sample of 100 230gr bullets.