PDA

View Full Version : roof collars?

targetshootr
10-07-2007, 10:27 AM
Talked to a roofer this morning who said he takes off a fair number of roof collars that squirrels chew through and he'll start dropping them off at my house. Are they gonna be pure lead and is there a good way to get any tar off?

:castmine:

Johnch
10-07-2007, 10:37 AM
Yes almost pure lead

I melt them and toilet lead at night when there is a good breese
Because I have not found a way to get the tar off

The darkness hides the smoke and the breeze moves it away from the house

John

sundog
10-07-2007, 10:42 AM
Throw it all in the rendering pot and let it smoke. Light it off when it gets hot enough. I don't live in town, so I don't get any complaints when I do this...

targetshootr
10-07-2007, 10:52 AM
Good ideas there. I guess I could be doing the same thing with leftover stick-ons, mixing in a handful with each potful. What does it mean to "light it off"?

MT Gianni
10-07-2007, 10:52 AM
Tar can be removed by soaking it in gasoline but it is so much easier and cheaper to burn it off. Gianni

AZ-Stew
10-07-2007, 11:19 AM
targetshootr,

He means that he sets fire to the smoke. It cuts down on the smell.

Be careful not to let the fire spread to anything you don't want burned!

Regards,

Stew

sundog
10-07-2007, 11:28 AM
I do the stick on WWs, if that's what you're referring to, separately and use them for muzzle loafer balls. They appear to be softer than regular WWs.

btw, for anyone who hasn't rendered WWs in a covered cooker, ala dutch oven or whatever, be careful removing the lid when hot. When fresh air hits the stuff inside, you can get a flash over.

targetshootr
10-07-2007, 12:05 PM
I keep the lid off about 1/2 inch because I heard you can get condensation. Think I'll save the collars and add them to the range lead I've been picking up and keep those ingots separate from straight ww.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b233/targetshootr/DSCN0050.jpg