PDA

View Full Version : CB in 30carbine

wdoyle1980
07-17-2013, 09:55 PM
Question about bullet seating for the 30 Carbine.

This is the Lee C309-113-F bullet. 113gr. length (with gc) is 0.639" . appears 0.175" from bullet tip to the first 'band'. How far should a bullet like this be seated? Wiki shows the cartridge as having an overall length of 1.650". With the bullet seated down to the top of the first band, mine are coming out to 1.501". The case is correct, so I know it'll be headspaced correctly. Is there such a thing as too-short of an OACart length? If I seat the bullet out further, it looks kinda stupid having the lube bands exposed like that. Suggestions?

35remington
07-18-2013, 12:11 AM
Having shot this bullet in the carbine, let the rifle decide. This cartridge has much in common with the other straight case, rimless pistol cartridges in that magazine length and the amount of space your leade provides dictates proper bullet seating. Try with some amount of band out of the case but not so much the lube groove is exposed as that's too far out. Check chambering in the carbine before reloading a large batch. If it does not chamber fully with the bullet seated out, incrementally increase seating depth until full chambering is achieved and the bolt will close when dropped gently (one third power in terms of seating velocity). We don't want the bullet wedged against the rifling when closed but rather near it. Likely you will have some small amount of band out of the case but not a whole lot. Overall length may also dictate feeding success assuming you have some latitude in OAL ( longer throat ), which you may not.

Surprisingly, my Underwood M1 feeds these cast flatpoints flawlessly, but not all carbines will, I understand. A fine plinking bullet with better accuracy than 110 SP's and FMJ's....if it will feed.

What you have there is a semiautomatic 32-20. It would be nice if accuracy is better, but it will still discourage 2 legged varmints and the smaller 4 legged variety if they are not too far away.

wdoyle1980
07-18-2013, 12:31 AM
Thank you for the info! My M1 was assembled from a (10yr old in the wild?) CMP kit that was sold by one of the builder guild members (he bought a pile of them years ago and never built them). The barrels were NEW/Unissued and short chambered. The guild provided the chamber reamer and I reamed using the go/no-go guages to be accurate. I'm not entirely sure what throating it has. I did do a couple of 5rd dummy batches. one i listed above - just a little of that first-band above the case mouth, and another where the first band is almost completely out. Both batches cycled through with manual pulling/releasing of the carrier/slide. Looking at some of the surplus/commercial jacketed rounds, it does look like a good amount of bullet extends out past the case. Definitely looks different with this lee bullet.

on a wild note, what's the heaviest bullet you can put in there? I have all sorts of molds in the '7.62mm' range and was curious if anyone's successfully put a 150 or heavier in there. I haven't plugged it into QuickLoad, but was just curious :D

Okie73
07-19-2013, 02:19 PM
I seat this same Lee boolit to an OAL of 1.550 and it functions great in my commercially made carbine. Seated to this depth just covers the top lube groove. I have seated as short as 1.535 and still had good function. Hope this helps!

tyeo098
07-19-2013, 02:22 PM
I have this exact bullet in 150rds on my loading bench!

I'll measure OAL but I seated long and kept plunk testing until it was good.
I'll give up my info when I get home. But it juuuust covered the top lube groove with a very light taper crimp.

williamwaco
07-19-2013, 07:31 PM
35Remington + 1

Having shot this bullet in the carbine, let the rifle decide.

If there is a universal answer to all reloading questions - that is it.

zomby woof
07-19-2013, 08:02 PM
If your serious about shooting the Carbine with cast, get the NOE 311115 and 296.