PDA

View Full Version : Cheaper Than Dirt is sponsoring this Forum?

W.R.Buchanan
07-17-2013, 12:34 PM
I just saw a CTD banner across the top of this forum?

Can it be?

I thought the general opinion on this forum, and every other forum I visit, is that this outfit is a nothing more than a price gouging, money grubbing outfit with a bunch of BS rules for shipping to the gun unfriendly states.

Things like the current price of $49.95 for a 50 rnd box of .22WRF! A recent price of $99.95 for used AR mags, and unwillingness to ship simple gun parts to CA "due to state laws",,, that don't even exist, have shown this outfits true colors.

There has been a widely supported boycott of that outfit here for some time.

They are all about the bottom line and have no real interest in supporting the many thousands of shooters in gun unfriendly states like CA which is the largest single market in the US. More about making a statement that they are from Texas and don't need the business from places like NY,MA, CO, CA and others who's politicians are taking advantage of the times.

NO CTD says "FU" to these states and all of the many thousands of shooter there who didn't vote the politicians who make these laws in,,, in the first place.

They are in effect punishing us for where we live. I personally take exception to this form of boycott and re-up my support of the "Don't buy from CTD boycott!"

But what really affects all of us is their price gouging on items which are in high demand, and I hope people will take notice of this and not buy those products now, and not buy them from CTD when things go back to normal!

I know times are tough but having this outfit as a sponsor of this forum makes all their price gouging and unfair business practices OK as long as they pay to sponsor the forum. It also gets them more business simply because not everyone is aware of their unfair practices.

I hope the head guys here at Cast Boolits will look at this a little closer.

Cheaper Than Dirt is not actually "cheaper than dirt!"

In fact the exact opposite is closer to reality.

Randy

youngda9
07-17-2013, 12:42 PM
+1.....

375RUGER
07-17-2013, 12:43 PM
that banner has been there since right after the new site was launched, What's that been? 9 months now? You are just now noticing it?

Randy C
07-17-2013, 12:49 PM
[smilie=b: Outch

jsteed
07-17-2013, 01:00 PM
Never bought there.................Never will!!!

Rick Hodges
07-17-2013, 01:07 PM
We will gladly take their money to help keep this board viable....consider it a "payback".

exile
07-17-2013, 01:10 PM
Never bought there.................Never will!!!

I just bought a couple of Chip McCormick power Mag's there, my first purchase, good price, low shipping cost, got them to me very fast, should I feel guilty?

exile

nagantguy
07-17-2013, 01:13 PM
Take their money sure but please be careful who you get in bed with, that's how desieas get spread. I won't do biz with them, just based on shipping costs not to mention there gouging and caving to anti pressure at the worst times.

W.R.Buchanan
07-17-2013, 01:29 PM
Exile: just don't let it happen again. [smilie=s: You were probably one of the ones who didn't know about their practices. I didn't know until this morning that they were a sponsor here even though they have been here apparently for 9 months.

You can see how word doesn't always get around. But that banner will still suck in customers.

The banner is advertising, and advertising works to increase business or else they wouldn't do it.

You will see as this thread progresses what the general consensus about CTD is.

Boycotts are used to make retailers and providers aware that their methods of doing business or their opinions are not shared by their customers.

Price gouging on gun related items is anti 2nd Amendment! And this outfit and crossed the line many times as to it's business practices and price gouging during times of strife.

We just need to make them aware of it.

As far as taking their money to keep this forum alive?

I think it did just fine before they came.

Randy

Love Life
07-17-2013, 01:39 PM
Exile:
Price gouging on gun related items is anti 2nd Amendment!

How so? It is douche baggery at it's finest, but how is it anti 2nd Amendment?

dragon813gt
07-17-2013, 02:08 PM
Yet another reason I use my phone to view web forums; no ads for me :)

I know this doesn't help the forum. And it can hurt me from finding a great business. Had it not been for a few threads I would have never found out about Titan Reloading.

CTD's practices are not anti second amendment. They are 100% capitalistic. No one is forcing you to buy from them. If you don't like the prices then just move along. The market will dictate which companies stick around. In the mean time the owners of this site should gladly take their money. Now if CTD wants to start censoring threads about them then I hope the owners consider how much their money is worth.

uscra112
07-17-2013, 02:33 PM
Yet another reason I use my phone to view web forums; no ads for me :)

I know this doesn't help the forum. And it can hurt me from finding a great business. Had it not been for a few threads I would have never found out about Titan Reloading.

CTD's practices are not anti second amendment. They are 100% capitalistic. No one is forcing you to buy from them. If you don't like the prices then just move along. The market will dictate which companies stick around. In the mean time the owners of this site should gladly take their money. Now if CTD wants to start censoring threads about them then I hope the owners consider how much their money is worth.

+1000. Whining about CTD because they've raised prices is like whining about gravity.

slim1836
07-17-2013, 02:56 PM
$42.95 for 50 rounds of .45 ACP @ CTD, ouch. Glad I cast and reload.
Will I buy from them again? Probably, just not ammo.

Slim

W.R.Buchanan
07-17-2013, 04:47 PM
CTD's practices are not anti second amendment. They are 100% capitalistic. No one is forcing you to buy from them. Now if CTD wants to start censoring threads about them then I hope the owners consider how much their money is worth.

Any action which inhibits your ability to exercise your right to buy, own, and shoot guns is Anti 2nd Amendment, simple as that...

This is either a "you're with us or you're against us." type of situation.

CTD may or may not pressure the owners to censor certain threads, and if they did, it would be a complete declaration of war as far I as I am concerned.

But the fact remains that they are not acting in the best interest of the customers they purport to support. The 100% capitalism point is completely off target and comes up any time someone complains about an outfit. IE: "if you don't like them, don't buy from them."

However it is completely missing the point.

The point is,,, to boycott them and reduce their sales so that they stop acting badly! IE1: a 100% capitalistic approach to modifying their behavior. IE2: Hit them in the wallet and maybe they will rethink gouging people just because some ***** in marketing thinks it is a good idea to boost the bottom line. They are going for volume sales, and individual satisfaction is not part of their marketing strategy. Or more plainly, strike once and then see if you are dumb enough to repeat the process.

This is not how virtually anyone else in the shooting business treats people. Examples of fair practice and devout customer service are outfits like RCBS, Dillon, Midway, Titan, Cabela's, Redding, Lee Precision, Hornaday, Hodgdons, And I could name 15-20 others which you all know.

Why is it that CTD is NOT on this list? No "Personal Responsibility" and no "Attention to Detail."

The two traits all of the above mentioned outfits have in spades!

The other point of this argument is to let as many people as possible know about CTD's Business Practices. People who would not normally buy from CTD if they knew about the gouging, and other issues.

People like a friend of mine who bought 500 rounds of .223 ammo for $900, which CTD gladly shipped to his front door here in CA but wouldn't ship $50 worth of AR furniture because they are making a statement about CA gun laws that don't even exist.

When he figured out he had paid $1.80 per round after I explained it to him, he will never buy from them again. He didn't know until I told him.

Others are in the same boat. Not everyone is a savvy shopper, but given the truth, most people can make a correct decision.

The ad on this forum serves only to draw in more uninformed customers.

They can make their own decision about purchasing from CTD, but after reading this thread there will be less of them doing that.

And that's the whole point!

Randy

dragon813gt
07-17-2013, 06:43 PM
CTD's business practices do not effect my second amendment right in anyway. They are not a monopoly so there are plenty of other places to buy items from. You want to let people know about their policies, fine. I personally don't agree w/ them which is why I choose to not buy anything from them. I will never understand why so few people in the shooting world understand simple supply and demand economics.

shooter93
07-17-2013, 07:07 PM
I've used them time to time and was never gouged. I won't pay huge prices for 22 lr ammo as an example but you can shoot all you want.....it will cost you more though. There have been many things over the years that inhibited my gun hobby....none of which were anti 2nd. It's called life.....it throws curves...no one promised you the prices YOU think are right on everything you buy. It is their business. They set the prices and if the majority of places do the same and their products sell then that is what the market will bear. I might also point out that they pay to advertise here and that pretty much makes up Ken's income.....so for those who find it offense....shoot a pm off to Ken (the site OWNER) and tell him to drop them and he can tighten his belt.

youngda9
07-17-2013, 07:48 PM
I suspect they are just capitalistic...as are all businesses. If they didn't raise their prices when the supply went low, like every single other business did(that survived), someone would just buy up all their stuff and flip the items for the additional profit CTD could've had. Not a sound business practice. You sell for what the market will bear. If you didn't stock up (goes for all things in time of need) that's on you.

W.R. How many times have you bought from CTD? You seem to have many opinions that only someone who has purchased from them many times could possibly come up with.

I'm surprised you had to do the math for your friend to figure out that 900/500=1.8 California public schools must be awesome ;)

Nickle
07-17-2013, 08:22 PM
Right, sound business practice.

Now, go tell Wal Mart, Midway, Cabela's, Bass Pro and Gander Mountain (and many others) they're doing it all wrong, and CTD is doing it right. Good luck with that, especially when they laugh you out the door. And see who is still in business 5-10 years from now.

I haven't bought from CTD, their prices are high, have always been high, and recently they're stupidly high, Don't forget to add shipping to the prices.

The site letting them sponsor it is no huge deal to me. If you ask the owner to drop them, you might want to come up with alternative funding sources. Dig deep, he'll probably listen to you.

Three-Fifty-Seven
07-17-2013, 08:47 PM
their ad!

Dryball
07-17-2013, 08:49 PM
I for one would like to know how much this site gets from CTD. Lets make it known. I, as well as many others I'm sure, would be willing to "chip in" in order to offset Castboolit's loss if CTD were dropped like a bad habbit. I am a person of action so here it goes...Let's get a petition and pledge going for the admins to consider...Who is with me?

BTW...If I were to start a new thread for a petition and interest...um, where would the appropriate place to post it (no up your arze comments please)

W.R.Buchanan
07-17-2013, 10:06 PM
Youngda9: I bought 1000 rounds of Russian .223 ammo 5 years ago from them at $315. I have tried as recently as the beginning of this year to buy AR parts from them however they will not ship them to CA because they say there are laws preventing them from doing this.

There are NO LAWS that have been passed and signed in this state that restrict internet sales of AR parts or any other gun parts except HI cap magazines and that law has been in effect for 5-6 years.

When queried about these laws they come up with a bunch of bogus municipal laws that places like San Francisco have, but when you call them on it, they say they can't keep them strait so they just elect to not ship anything gun related to the whole state.

A few years ago the state passed a law banning sales of ammunition from outside the state. It was shot down immediately as interfering with "Interstate Commerce." That's why we are able to buy ammo and have it shipped in. The same law extends to everything gun related with the exception of Hi-cap magazines 10+ which are specifically banned from sale, purchase, importation, or trade. However possession or use of said magazines is not restricted in any way.

Interestingly I can buy magazine replacement parts (unassembled mags in plastic bags) at any gun show.

When I called CTD and said I have just moved from CA they told me that their management was making a "statement" to all of the states with new more restrictive gun laws, and chastising the people in those states for electing the nut cases who made the laws.

Like I have any control over that. I vote for four people and they all voted for Republicans! But there are too many idiots in my state that don't think the way I do so I'm supposed to do what?

I especially liked the time they pulled all the AR's and AK's off their site after Sandy Hook!

I get a catalog once a month. There are no prices on any gun part in those catalogs! IE subject to change as they please.

These actions are what I am protesting and I am definitely trying to build a consensus, and so far the vast majority of posters agree with me.

This is not about charging what the market will bear in any way! It is about treating your customers right.

Randy

waksupi
07-17-2013, 11:35 PM
I just saw this. If you are going to break Ken's rice bowl, you better be ready, willing and able to get him another, on an ongoing basis. It's not nice to break a man's rice bowl.

GSM
07-17-2013, 11:51 PM
+1

Can't remember all of the saying.... Cutting off one's nose to spite their face?

Seems that capitalism leaves a sour note in some member's mouth. If they don't like it - don't shop there, that's a person's (customer) right. However, don't use another person's facilities in an attempt to intentionally/potentially do economic harm to either party. IT AIN'T YOUR RICE BOWL.

You want to freely express your 1st Amendment? GET YOUR OWN STUFF/SITE.

Thank you Waksupi - been a while since I watched the Sand Pebbles....
A simple saying that makes one think about things sometimes.

Dryball
07-18-2013, 12:10 AM
what the heck is a rice bowl? Isn't this a forum to express ideas and thoughts. And, because someone expressed an opinion that some don't agree with, does that make it ok to be an internet thug and tell people to get their own site...or if I misunderstood GSM's last I'm truly sorry.

dkf
07-18-2013, 12:16 AM
CTD has no backbone. http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2012/12/18/online-gun-retailer-cheaper-than-dirt-suspends-firearm-sales/

Half baked company that says they care about the 2A but their actions say otherwise. Either grow a pair and stick with it through thick and thin or go away for good.

Sorry if I knocked anyone off their "capitalism" soapbox.[smilie=s:

runfiverun
07-18-2013, 02:55 AM
i'll say it.
the site owner is disabled and unable to work he also receives no ssi or benefits.
those banners up there are his income.
plus what is raised from this site in other ways.

if you don't like ctd don't buy from them.
it's what i do.
i support ken in many way's, if you want the banner gone step up,
get together,,,, whatever, but remember this is a monthly ongoing thing.
it isn't much but it is all he has.

Cosmiceyes
07-18-2013, 03:00 AM
What I found them good for is military shoulder bags. Helped my Daughter carry her books in school,and during the military hand bag faze she was a hit with 8 different bags all for under 20.

deces
07-18-2013, 06:25 AM
Foxfire & Adblock+ wins every time vs ads.

Lloyd Smale
07-18-2013, 06:39 AM
I just saw this. If you are going to break Ken's rice bowl, you better be ready, willing and able to get him another, on an ongoing basis. It's not nice to break a man's rice bowl.

yup i see out of all the posters only two are contributors. Are you willing to buck up and pay your share to keep this fourm going? Or just complain.

imashooter2
07-18-2013, 06:59 AM
Foxfire & Adblock+ wins every time vs ads.

As I understand it, it also kills the site's ad revenue.

Forrest r
07-18-2013, 07:41 AM
Sometimes people should think outside the box, capitalism is a 2-way street.

Gee, I wonder what would happen if say 500 people got together & called CTD daily? Just picked 10 over priced CTD items, call to place an order & ask them for those items & ask the price. When it's too high tell them you decided you don't want that item any more. While your at it ask about common items in between the "targeted over priced ones" like primers and powder & talk about when it will ever end etc. Each caller could easily take up 20 minutes of the CTD's sales person time, 20 minutes x 500 ='s 1000 minutes or 2 people working 8 hour shifts & selling nothing.

Capitalism at it's finest!!!! You get to help keep 2 people employed & let CTD flip the bill along with not making a dime.

dverna
07-18-2013, 07:42 AM
The way I see it, a person has a right to select the vendors they wish to deal with. The site owner has a right to select the advertisers. Site members/visitors have essentially no rights and are here at the pleasure of the site owner (and the moderators who work on his behalf).

Please bear in mind that although some of you may support the site for a few months a vendor is likely to pay for their exposure for years. In the end it is about business.

I am surprised that this thread has not been closed but it demonstrates the site owner is willing to let us have our say. He is risking having an advertiser pull his business so we should be thankful.

Frankly, I see both sides of this but the reality is the site needs funding to survive or we all lose. I suppose if more of us contributed and/or contributed more, maybe there would be no need for any banners or maybe the site owner would get rich - LOL. Lloyd Smale made an excellent point BTW. Some talk about companies who do not appear to support the 2nd amendment but how many of us support Cast Boolits?

BTW Randy, I understand why a company will not sell to CA. It is a PITA to keep up with the laws in every state, county or city and they have too much to lose if they do something wrong. I recently sold a pistol to a fellow in NY and I will never sell a gun there again. Look at all the sellers on Gunbroker who will not sell to CA or NY!!!

Don Verna

Tatume
07-18-2013, 08:08 AM

I cannot find a CTD banner. Perhaps they have pulled their support for Cast Boolits?

I'll say it. The site owner is disabled and unable to work. He also receives no SSI or benefits. Those banners up there are his income.

I am disabled (T-9 complete paraplegia) but I am able to work. So, I took this opportunity to become a contributing member.

Take care, Tom

captaint
07-18-2013, 08:10 AM
Well let's see.... CTD has never had anything for sale that I have needed. I don't think they ever sold primers or powder (I could be wrong about that). I load my own ammo, I bought a good supply of rimfire ammo a couple of years back......They don't have anything I need. So I don't buy it !!!! Mike

375RUGER
07-18-2013, 08:59 AM
what the heck is a rice bowl? Isn't this a forum to express ideas and thoughts. And, because someone expressed an opinion that some don't agree with, does that make it ok to be an internet thug and tell people to get their own site...or if I misunderstood GSM's last I'm truly sorry.

I think you have misunderstood because the OP wants a total boycott, by all members and the site, of CTD and doesn't want their advertising money.

ku4hx
07-18-2013, 09:22 AM
I think I'll follow Jiminy Cricket's sage advice and let my conscience be my guide. I believe the decision to purchase from CTD or not is a personal matter between me and my pocketbook. I think I'll just hold on to that position. Others should do as they see fit.

nicholst55
07-18-2013, 10:18 AM

Can it be?

I thought the general opinion on this forum, and every other forum I visit, is that this outfit is a nothing more than a price gouging, money grubbing outfit with a bunch of BS rules for shipping to the gun unfriendly states.

Things like the current price of $49.95 for a 50 rnd box of .22WRF! A recent price of $99.95 for used AR mags, and unwillingness to ship simple gun parts to CA "due to state laws",,, that don't even exist, have shown this outfits true colors.

There has been a widely supported boycott of that outfit here for some time.

They are all about the bottom line and have no real interest in supporting the many thousands of shooters in gun unfriendly states like CA which is the largest single market in the US. More about making a statement that they are from Texas and don't need the business from places like NY,MA, CO, CA and others who's politicians are taking advantage of the times.

NO CTD says "FU" to these states and all of the many thousands of shooter there who didn't vote the politicians who make these laws in,,, in the first place.

They are in effect punishing us for where we live. I personally take exception to this form of boycott and re-up my support of the "Don't buy from CTD boycott!"

But what really affects all of us is their price gouging on items which are in high demand, and I hope people will take notice of this and not buy those products now, and not buy them from CTD when things go back to normal!

I know times are tough but having this outfit as a sponsor of this forum makes all their price gouging and unfair business practices OK as long as they pay to sponsor the forum. It also gets them more business simply because not everyone is aware of their unfair practices.

I hope the head guys here at Cast Boolits will look at this a little closer.

Cheaper Than Dirt is not actually "cheaper than dirt!"

In fact the exact opposite is closer to reality.

Randy

While I totally agree with you, if CTD wants to help sponsor the site, I say let them. That doesn't mean that any of us will actually patronize them.

casca
07-18-2013, 12:17 PM
I agree, they are and ADVERTISER deserve some respect.
casca

W.R.Buchanan
07-18-2013, 03:23 PM
OK! I put my money right where my mouth is. I am now a sponsor of Cast Boolits!

I didn't even know you could do this until today.

It cost me $40 to do this and I spent more than that on lunch yesterday! It is worth $40 just to be able to bitch freely and without repercussions.

It costs either $500 or $1000 to be a Vendor Sponsor of this site. I am not trying to sell my business' products here so that was not appropriate for me personally.

If 24 more people will sign up to sponsor this site for $40 we can offset CTD's contribution! I'm sure there are another 24 people out there, out of the 29,662 members of this board, that feel like I do on this subject.

I am not trying to take anything away from Ken and would never try to harm him personally or this site. It is my all time favorite site!

I just take exception to CTD profiting from this site. They just don't act right, and their behavior needs to be corrected.

Too bad we can't just spank their butts! :mrgreen:

Randy

Casca: Respect has to be earned! and maintained.

Nicholist: I am merely trying to increase the number of people who don't buy from them by making them aware of this companies actions.

ShooterAZ
07-18-2013, 03:39 PM
I don't and wont buy from them, but I won't bash & trash them either. I'm not sure that the $40 bucks gives anyone the right to bash a sponser. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

N4AUD
07-18-2013, 03:52 PM
I won't bash them but I did relate in the other thread my true experience with them that prompted me to choose not to do business with them. There's nothing wrong with telling a true story, just as there is nothing wrong with telling about good and bad deals with other forum members in the place here that has been created for it. If CTD doesn't like me telling about my bad experience they can change the way they operate, right?

W.R.Buchanan
07-18-2013, 03:57 PM
There's nothing wrong with telling a true story, just as there is nothing wrong with telling about good and bad deals with other forum members in the place here that has been created for it. If CTD doesn't like me telling about my bad experience they can change the way they operate, right?

My whole point EXACTLY!

Randy

Nickle
07-18-2013, 04:23 PM
If 24 more people will sign up to sponsor this site for $40 we can offset CTD's contribution! I'm sure there are another 24 people out there, out of the 29,662 members of this board, that feel like I do on this subject.

I am not trying to take anything away from Ken and would never try to harm him personally or this site. It is my all time favorite site!

Make that 23 now. I put in $40.

ShooterAZ
07-18-2013, 04:39 PM
Make it 22, I just put in my 40 as well.

Love Life
07-18-2013, 04:55 PM
So is CTD payment a one time payment for a specified time period?

Are ya'lls funds for updating your status going to Ken or does it sponsor the site? from what I understand in this thread is the money from advertising goes in Ken's pocket to be used for living.

Also from what I understand, ya'lls updated status funds goes into the site maintenance fund.

What if other companies who pay for advertising see this, label this as a non business friendly forum, and subsequently pull their advertising?

How about we enjoy that wonderful thing called freedom and stop trying to cajole people into boycotting companies because of your feelings? I believe there was some clown talking about boycotting Hornady for (how dare they) stopping production on low demand items to increase production of in demand items.

Everybody feels they are getting screwed. Nobody is getting hosed unless they allow it. If some doofus (who is already on the internet) can't spend 5 minutes Googling various suppliers for their shooting needs, then that is on them. Sucks to be a doofus.I mean seriously. If I type in "175 gr SMK for sale" several options pop up. I click on them and compare prices.

To Boycott a company in order to protect idiots is just...well...oh nevermind. I do not find their practices predatory, anti 2nd Amendment, or anything else. They are catering to low information buyers.

Tatume
07-18-2013, 04:58 PM
Since I started this rush to contribute to Ken and the site, can't I at least be counted among the contributors? I feel left out.

ShooterAZ
07-18-2013, 05:08 PM
To Boycott a company in order to protect idiots is just...well...oh nevermind. I do not find their practices predatory, anti 2nd Amendment, or anything else. They are catering to low information buyers.

I wholeheartedly agree. I'm hoping that the $40 goes to both Ken, and for site maintenance. CTD won't see any of my hard earned $.

kevindtimm
07-18-2013, 05:27 PM
runfiverun,

thanks for the information. given the amount of information I've gotten from here, I'm pretty sure I'll become a contributing member soon.

KT

i'll say it.
the site owner is disabled and unable to work he also receives no ssi or benefits.
those banners up there are his income.
plus what is raised from this site in other ways.

if you don't like ctd don't buy from them.
it's what i do.
i support ken in many way's, if you want the banner gone step up,
get together,,,, whatever, but remember this is a monthly ongoing thing.
it isn't much but it is all he has.

jmort
07-18-2013, 06:19 PM
I figure that if a company is kind/wise enough to sponsor this site, then the worst thing I will do is not buy from them, but for sure, I will never bash a site sponsor here no matter what. My priority is the well being of the site.

ShooterAZ
07-18-2013, 06:19 PM
Since I started this rush to contribute to Ken and the site, can't I at least be counted among the contributors? I feel left out.
Yes, make it 21 now!

jonp
07-18-2013, 06:21 PM
I finally could not help but make a comment on this. If you do not like CTD or it's policies do not buy from them. That is the Free Market. If you don't like the banner don't look at it. I have bought a great deal of gear and ammo from CTD in the past but when they stopped selling stuff and jacked up their prices I stopped and will not buy from them until they lower their prices and I sent them an email telling them why.
I don't care if there is a banner here. I'm not here for the banners but for the information and experience. This is no different from the lefts. Its not good enough that they disagree with a store. They want you to disagree also and shut it down so no-one can buy anything from them. Those who believe in Capitalism when not believing in a store don't go into the store anymore and let the store know why.

Tatume
07-18-2013, 06:50 PM
I finally could not help but make a comment on this. If you do not like CTD or it's policies do not buy from them. That is the Free Market. If you don't like the banner don't look at it.

I hasten to point out that I have not complained about CTD, and have not joined the boycott. All I did was contribute to this site and its operator. Oh, and I still can't find a CTD banner.

Take care, Tom

dkf
07-18-2013, 07:28 PM
A lot of sites have advertising banners that show ads based on the cookies on your computer.

A guy on another gun forum wondered why a a gun site had advertising ads for tampons. If he went in to "Internet Options" and cleaned out the cookies the tampon ad would most likely go away.

I have not taken notice to the CTD banner here either. I just wanted to complain about CTD.[smilie=s:

Old Caster
07-18-2013, 10:05 PM
I don't get it. If CTD charges so much more than other sites for their merchandise, why does anyone buy from them. If this were true, I don't understand why they wouldn't go out of business unless their advertisements were so good that foolish people will pay more just to deal with them.

MtGun44
07-18-2013, 10:42 PM
I buy from CTD when they have good deals and do not buy when they do not.

I don't like to disparage a business, but I will vote with my wallet and I have and will
buy there if they are competitive, and they frequently are.

Bill

ku4hx
07-19-2013, 10:37 AM

I don't like to disparage a business, but I will vote with my wallet and I have and will

Bill

+1 CTD seems to be better stocked than many online retailers and they do have sales. It's just like buying anything ... shop around. I have found CTD to have lower out-the-door costs than others from time to time and in some cases they've been the only game in town.

Over the years, I've never had a bad experience with them; I'm sure others have horror stories ... there are always horror stories. I've dealt with some online retailers I will never do business with again but so far CTD is not one of them. If a given price is outside what I feel is reasonable, I just don't buy it. That's basically true of everything from Asphalt patch to Zwieback regardless of who's selling it.

W.R.Buchanan
07-19-2013, 02:05 PM
Lovelife:

Low information voters elected Obama, how's that workin' out?

Educating low information buyers is what we are trying to accomplish here.

It is not bashing if it's true. Have you read any of the Dillon related threads( and I know you have) someone comes on and complains about them not doing this or that, and that is immediately followed by 50 positive comments?

You will notice this is NOT the case with the numerous threads about CTD! All you see for comments are negative or "if you don't like them don't buy from them."

As far as other vendors thinking that this is a business unfriendly site? Have you heard of anyone saying anything bad about 99.99% of the vendors on this site?

This is an isolated problem.

Randy

Love Life
07-19-2013, 02:31 PM
Denver Duck got run off by a bunch socialists, and despite the many great deals he had through the years, nobody was willing to back him up. So the problem is not isolated.

There is an entitlement feeling among the reloading world where they feel everybody should offer them the lowest prices humanly possible. It is gross.

let men be men. If they are too lazy or ignorant to price shop then they get hosed as a consequence of their inaction/laziness. If they research and price shop then they reap the rewards of their labor.

CTD does not have a monopoly and are screwing nobody over. They are providing products for monies paid.

W.R.Buchanan
07-19-2013, 03:25 PM
Love Life: I did not know of "Denver Duck."

No one that I know of has ever bashed you for your brass prices, probably because you are not gouging to make a quick buck.

You are a fair vendor and most everyone knows this.

We will have to agree to dis-agree on this CTD point.

I am in no way stopping or even chastising anyone for buying from this outfit, I feel that if given enough information they can make up their own minds.

The few anecdotal examples I have offered will only serve to educate many who didn't already know, and many others have contributed with their own experiences.

The number of supporting comments for the topic on this and other related threads far outweigh the supporting comments for CTD's business practices and policies.

If you think my complaints are just isolated to CTD's policies on CA and NY, you need to revise your thinking. Tomorrow they may well be directed towards your state.

Randy

LynC2
07-19-2013, 03:48 PM

Bill

I agree with you. If they have what I need at the best price I will buy it. If they jack up the price I go elsewhere. I can't say I am fond of their policies; however it is a free market and one can choose to buy or not. They contribute to this site's upkeep which I am happy they do.
It cost money to operate it and I am glad to have so much information available at my fingertips! Our site host isn't getting rich off this forum for sure and if even a few more contributed to it I am sure he would be grateful.
There is always someone ready to take a free ride when possible; I also realize many here have fixed incomes and really can't afford to contribute which is understandable. However many here certainly are financially able to help, but don't. The wealth of knowledge here is invaluable and it is well worth putting in a few dollars to keep it going. Just something for everyone here to think about! Rant off!
Lyn

Dryball
07-19-2013, 04:12 PM
runfiverun, you brought up an excellent point and I appreciate that and immediately contributed. Thank you. I still stand by what I said and believe. As I recall, back in the 1700's a group of individuals did not agree with some of the practices going on and boycotted English products. Yet, others admonished what these fellows did and said similar things as what people here are saying.

To Ken: I'm sorry about your situation...please PM me and I will be glad to give you a "hand up"

Love Life
07-19-2013, 05:13 PM
Wow. The CTD price issue has now been compared to the lead up to the American Revolution. You just can't make this up.

W. R. Buchannan- The Denver Duck ordeal was epic.

I will end my participation here and agree to disagree with you. I learn alot from your posts so I will leave on a neutral footing and look forward to more posts on the Ruger GSR.

W.R.Buchanan
07-19-2013, 06:32 PM
I'm done too. Fair winds

Randy

GSM
07-20-2013, 12:12 AM

Yes, this a site to express ideas and thoughts. However, we are all GUESTS here. WE do not own it. I seem to have grown tired of people that "feel" or "believe" they have some entitlement at the expense of others.

I'll try to put this in a not so "internet thuggy" way: If you went to someone's house, would you kick their dog, insult their wife, spit on their floor, or do something else that would show a lack of manners or respect? If not, why would that kind of behavior be acceptable here? In both situations (visiting / posting on this site) we are guests.

Explanation of the rice bowl is difficult. It has to be understood first.

Adam10mm
07-20-2013, 01:11 PM
Right, sound business practice.

Now, go tell Wal Mart, Midway, Cabela's, Bass Pro and Gander Mountain (and many others) they're doing it all wrong, and CTD is doing it right. Good luck with that, especially when they laugh you out the door. And see who is still in business 5-10 years from now.

I haven't bought from CTD, their prices are high, have always been high, and recently they're stupidly high, Don't forget to add shipping to the prices.

The site letting them sponsor it is no huge deal to me. If you ask the owner to drop them, you might want to come up with alternative funding sources. Dig deep, he'll probably listen to you.
Agreed. I don't shop at CTD, but if they want to sponsor the forum to help it out financially, I can't see anything wrong with that. I don't think having high prices is grounds for dropping sponsorship, but it's not my call to make.

Adam10mm
07-20-2013, 01:21 PM
Just kicked in $40 to the site and became a "sponsor member".

Old Caster
07-20-2013, 08:39 PM
I don't know Denver Duck nor did I ever deal with him but I did write him an Email and tried to convince him to stay on. Perhaps a bunch of the rest of you should do the same thing. The things said about him on this site were ridiculous.

BAGTIC
08-01-2013, 08:09 PM
No one can gouge you or take advantage of you without your complicity. If you feel you have been raped look in the bathroom mirror to confront your assailant.