PDA

View Full Version : gloves and other PPE for gun cleaning

gofastman
07-17-2013, 09:18 AM
How may of you really use the proper PPE when cleaning you guns?

goggles
gloves
respirator
etc

I just got a pair of Silver Shield gloves to use while working with solvents and the skin on my hands is much healthier. I was using nitrile, but while they are great against most automotive chemicals, they are pretty pathetic against some gun cleaners.

KCSO
07-17-2013, 09:39 AM
You are kidding, right?

contender1
07-17-2013, 09:50 AM
Many of the current gun cleaning solvents etc are water based, or vegetable based. They have been removing the petroleum products and getting more "eco-friendly" for years. Many of the stuff used now causes less harm to people than before. But,, there are still some types that haven't changed or can be an irritant to the skin. Everybody reacts differently to different chemicals. Some of us do not have issues, while other folks do.
This is America where we still have a few freedoms to choose to use gloves or not when cleaning our guns.
Those with problems can choose to use gloves, while those who do not, can still use their hands sans gloves.
Eyewear is always a good idea no matter what.
The use of a respirator falls under the same thoughts as the use of gloves. Depends upon the solvents.

gofastman
07-17-2013, 09:51 AM
You are kidding, right?

not really, what part are you referring to?

375RUGER
07-17-2013, 09:54 AM
I don't think he's:kidding:
I hope that is a carbon filter resp you are using gofastman.

opos
07-17-2013, 09:57 AM
Who determined what is "PPE"?...Same people that told me I'd go blind if I did what all little boys do?...same folks that told us if we ran with a pencil we'd put our eyes out?...Same folks that brought us air bags that often don't work...Motorcycle helmets that restrict vision? Some of us dont want to be told what PPE to use so we don't.

gofastman
07-17-2013, 09:57 AM
goggles
gloves
respirator
etc

Im not saying alwyas wear the stuff, I'm just giving examples

tengaugetx
07-17-2013, 11:27 AM
Been cleaning guns since 1966 without protective gear with no ill effects to date. Don't see any reason to start now.
I could almost understand if a person has an alergy to a particular solvent or oil but there are way too many options of cleaning products to justify going that route.

pmeisel
07-17-2013, 11:41 AM
Have to say I have never bothered with anything, other than cleaning up good after I am done.

Only solvent that really worries me is MEK. and Acetone, if using lots of it.

KCSO
07-17-2013, 11:49 AM
I started cleaning guns about 55 years ago and no one had rubber gloves. My grandfather was a mechanic and had his hands in solvent for over 60 years and thought it kept him from getting stiff joints. I've never even though about gloves and mask and such for gun cleaning. But then agan parts solven never bother me at all. I will admit that now days gun cleaing isn't what it use to be, 1 hour in the ultrasonic tanks and a switch to 1 hour in the recirculating oil bath and done other than copper removal in some guns.

jakharath
07-17-2013, 11:54 AM
I try to use safety glasses and almost always use nitrile gloves.

1Shirt
07-17-2013, 11:56 AM
Have never worn any kind of gloves when cleaning guns. At 74, don't think I am about to change habits!
1Shirt!

Big Rack
07-17-2013, 11:58 AM
I admit for years I never used gloves and seldom so much as a dust mask after leaving a shop that used "Brite Boy" wheels on grinders for deburring I realized the half a** case of sniffles I always had went away now for mine I always kept the side shield on and tied a cotton glove over the outlet others though used no guards and I swear they weren't deburring but were machining with theirs almost always had my hands in oil due to using it as coolant and in a barfeeder. Now I find my fingertips are very sensitive to solvents and will just start peeling if I look at them wrong.
I'm not saying everyone should glove up but I am saying the things you do when your young have a way of catching up. Kind of like how manly it was blowing off a .357 without ear protection or riding on the right side of some guy with unbaffled turn out pipes and wondering why my ears costantly ring or why I say UH? a lot to certain voice pitches.
Got any info on the Silver Shield gloves.

Smitty's Retired
07-17-2013, 12:33 PM
I usually wear safety glasses, but that is also through habbit because we had to wear them at work, so I kind of got used to them, especially when buffing something or grinding. About the only time I wear gloves is when I am using brake or parts cleaner. Especially if I am using brownell's parts degreaser.

gofastman
07-17-2013, 12:47 PM
Got any info on the Silver Shield gloves.
they are super chemical resistant but not that strong mechanically. wear a pair of nitrile or latex gloves over them to protect them from punctures and other damage.
http://www.northernsafety.com/Product/16750/Honeywell-Silver-Shield-Chemical-Resistant-Gloves

Have to say I have never bothered with anything, other than cleaning up good after I am done.

I use an MEK and xylene mix for some gun cleaning tasks, it works damn well!

Ed Barrett
07-17-2013, 11:07 PM
I'm 71 and I have never used protective gear for cleaning guns, never had any problems yet.

btroj
07-17-2013, 11:17 PM
You are kidding, right?

I agree entirely. I don't eat or drink the solvent but otherwise, I just use common sense.

MT Gianni
07-17-2013, 11:19 PM
I find the amount of solvent used is such a small amount I ignore it.

alleyoop
07-17-2013, 11:21 PM
I use simple green for 90% or better of my cleaning and Brake kleen for the other 10% prolly should wear gloves but after watching the news since the 70's think I'll skip the ppe.

Adam10mm
07-18-2013, 02:50 AM
I wear gloves just because I have small kids around. Just a preventative measure in case I have to go into "daddy mode". Just take the gloves off and handle what needs handling.

MaryB
07-18-2013, 03:15 AM
I wear n itrile gloves for the simple fact I don't like the smell on my hands when I go to cook supper...

Ickisrulz
07-18-2013, 06:19 AM
The key word in the OP is "proper." For the guy cleaning guns 1-2x each week, nothing is required except for eye protection if a splash is possible. For a worker in an armory, probably gloves and the eye protection depending on chemicals being used, exposure duration and frequency.

possom813
07-18-2013, 07:18 AM

I was 19 years old and working a factory job that used a good amount of MEK for cleaning up and prepping metal after sandblasting.

I didn't know any better, I was brought up using gas to clean our hands with using the waterhose.

I came out of painting one night and grabbed a shoprag and soaked it in MEK and started washing the paint of my arms and hands. My supervisor came over and chose then to inform me that MEK can easily be absorbed through the skin and cause significant damage.

I'd been doing the shoprag and MEK for about a year when I was informed of that little snippit of info.

Edit: I just realized this was for cleaning guns and not casting...

Cleaning guns, all I really use is rubber gloves, not really for safety, just because it's bit cleaner.

I do take the precaution, when running brushes through the bore, of having a rag at whichever end of the barrel the brush is coming out of to contain the 'splatter' coming out with the brush.

That's about the extent of the gun cleaning safety other than having a window or door open and a fan on.

nessus
07-19-2013, 02:12 PM
I usually wear a pair of nitrile gloves....I work in the medical field so I am pretty used to having my hands in gloves most of the day anyways....

MtGun44
07-20-2013, 12:39 PM
Never worried about it. Don't drink it, like run5run says.
Every once in a while, I'll put on some nitrile gloves I keep around for working on the
car when I am going to sit down and clean a bunch of guns, more to keep my hands
clean than anything else.

Bill

OnceFired
07-20-2013, 03:56 PM
For me, it's about anything I have to touch if interrupted during cleaning. i.e. kid factor, food, pets, guest arrives at the front door, etc.

gbrown
07-20-2013, 11:25 PM
I've been cleaning various types of guns for 50+ years or so. Mostly use Hoppes #9. Lot of WD40 and some Kroil. Used some stronger stuff and got it on me, but never a problem. When I was 16 or 17, was on a crew spraying weed killer--have no idea if it was Agent Orange or whatever. Got saturated in that stuff many times. Probably breathed in a gallon or so. Outlived a lot of my peers, maybe I'm just lucky, I don't know. Worked 2-1/2 hard days at the camp this week, cutting wood, clearing brush. Never breathed hard, just tiring. Notice I don't get around like I used to. BTW, turn 66 this week. God loves me, I'll trust in him.

OnceFired
07-21-2013, 01:36 AM
Realized I hadn't actually answered, just gave the reasons. I use glasses and latex gloves to clean.

Whiterabbit
07-21-2013, 01:39 AM
I sometimes use PPE depending on the operation, but I admit upfront it is not PPE. PPE is to Protect the Person. I do it not to leave fingerprints on the gun, skin oils on fabulous bluing, etc. Protects my product, not my Person.

Lloyd Smale
07-21-2013, 06:18 AM
yup and i dont eat meat and wear a helmet when im out getting exercise daily on my bicycle. ;)

Bello
07-21-2013, 06:19 AM
I only clean with safety glasses

Randy C
07-21-2013, 07:21 AM
I Dab a little Hoppe's behind each ear and go in for the kill.

searcher4851
07-23-2013, 03:22 PM
I wear glasses, but mostly just so I can see what I'm doing up close. Sometimes wear nitrile gloves, more to keep my hands clean if I'm expecting interruptions.

Hawkeye45
07-23-2013, 04:49 PM
I don't use gloves when cleaning guns, just not enough volume to worry about with good air flow.

Yesterday I almost did myself in with lacquer thinner cleaning the plastic on a chain saw handle so I could epoxy the break. With my COPD one inhalation and I hit the garage floor like a llarge lead ingot. No more thinner for me!

Mr. Ed