PDA

View Full Version : Loading .45 ACP with cast bullets for the first time and a question

reloader762
07-16-2013, 10:15 PM
I think I have all the correct components following my reloading manuals. 200gr RNFP cast .452 diameter bullets, Winchester WLP large pistol primers, and Unique powder. Brass is once fired Remington that I shot so I know it's history. So far so good (I think)!

What I'd like to do is to be able to load for both my 1911 pistol and 1917 revolver, and I will use the dreaded moon clips for the revolver. Sure, I could load each differently and mark them so I know which is which, but if possible I'd like to make up a batch of my own reloads with these cast boolits and use them in either.

What I am planning is to start at the low end of the data in the manuals. This is for plinking and to use the classic handguns, so enough to cycle the action and hit a target is all I'm looking for out of the load.

The Hornady manual for a 200gr cast boolit starts at 5.8gr of Unique. Would it be OK to start even 10% below that level or is the published amount a minimum to cycle a 1911?

Second question is that I see the .45 Auto Rim recipe in the same manual lists a 185 gr bullet with 6.3gr of Unique as a starting point. Would it loose so much in a revolver that more powder is necessary?

And finally, from what I've read in some posts pushing a cast boolit to fast will cause leading, I'm not going to maximum speed. Anything else to watch out for, like a squib or something because I'm looking at the low end of the manuals?

Thanks in advance, the advice here has been super!

DougGuy
07-16-2013, 10:20 PM
Unique might not be the best powder for .45 ACP, but I would NOT recommend going below published minimum charge weight.

WHITETAIL
07-16-2013, 10:31 PM
Use 5gr. of bullseye with a 200gr. boolit in each.:cbpour:

williamwaco
07-16-2013, 10:35 PM
I think I have all the correct components following my reloading manuals. 200gr RNFP cast .452 diameter bullets, Winchester WLP large pistol primers, and Unique powder. Brass is once fired Remington that I shot so I know it's history. So far so good (I think)!

What I'd like to do is to be able to load for both my 1911 pistol and 1917 revolver, and I will use the dreaded moon clips for the revolver. Sure, I could load each differently and mark them so I know which is which, but if possible I'd like to make up a batch of my own reloads with these cast boolits and use them in either.

What I am planning is to start at the low end of the data in the manuals. This is for plinking and to use the classic handguns, so enough to cycle the action and hit a target is all I'm looking for out of the load.

The Hornady manual for a 200gr cast boolit starts at 5.8gr of Unique. Would it be OK to start even 10% below that level or is the published amount a minimum to cycle a 1911? Yes it would be OK BUT it might not cycle the slide. Don't load more than ten at a time until you are sure it cycles reliably. If they don't cycle, you can still shoot them single shot.

Second question is that I see the .45 Auto Rim recipe in the same manual lists a 185 gr bullet with 6.3gr of Unique as a starting point. Would it loose so much in a revolver that more powder is necessary? No. More powder is necessary because the lighter weight bullet does not offer enough resistance to build up the desired pressure.

And finally, from what I've read in some posts pushing a cast boolit to fast will cause leading, I'm not going to maximum speed. Anything else to watch out for, like a squib or something because I'm looking at the low end of the manuals? In general, this is not true. Leading is caused 95% by poor fit of the bullet to the bore and maybe 5% due to a problem with the chamber or bore.

Thanks in advance, the advice here has been super!

See answers above

Bruizer
07-16-2013, 10:37 PM
Shooting 45 acp, iit is recommended to start with 10% less when you are loading with military casings. When reloading lighter bullets require a higher powder to push the bullet faster. If you look at a 230 grain, 200 grain and 185 grain you will see a higher speed in the lighter bullet. But to tell you the truth, when you are looking for a target load. You just want to cycle the action and be accurate. That could be at the minunim or below the starting charge or it could be in the middle of the max and min. It depends on your firearm and length of barrel. Etc.
Goodluck with reloading your 45. I run a 200 grain lswc with 5 grains of bullseye and have great results. Unique is a good powder but very dirty.

PuppetZ
07-16-2013, 10:40 PM
5.3gr unique should cycle your 1911 just fine. That's what I use under 200 SWC and mine works properly. As far as the load for the auto rim goes, remember you are looking at a 185 gr bullet load. The lighter the bullet, the higher the charge weight for the same pressure. Do not take a lighter bullet load and apply it to a heavier projectile. It's bad karma.

captaint
07-17-2013, 08:33 AM
I would start with 5.5 of the Unique and go get em. Don't worry about velocity being a problem in the leqading department. It's boolits too small (diameter) and lube issues that cause leading in the .45's. Go with the .452 diameter and all should be well. Mike

BIGRED
07-17-2013, 08:44 AM
Been down the same road.... have a Kimber and a Sig and it took several loads to find one that both guns liked. Sig liked alot but Kimber was picky. ended up settling on 5.8gr of Bullseye under 200gr SWC. both are medium type loads and the brass piles up nicely about 3-4 feet away. Find a load for the 1911 1st and the revolver will eat them just as well.

Don't worry about pushing a 45acp to fast you would need 400+ FPS more before leading may even present itself. if you stay within the MIN & Max load data you will never see 12-1300 FPS

Wayne Smith
07-17-2013, 09:08 AM
The best answer is shoot them in your pistol and find out! You are not anywhere near max or dangerous loads. Your danger is not cycling the action. If so, you can always shoot them in your revolver! I have a 45ACP 1911 and a 45 Schofield. I use different boolits in them even though the case is very different. I use a 200gr load in the ACP and a 250gr load in the Schofield. However, I must say the my 250gr boolit is my best friend's favorite in his 1911!

In general, until you are a very experienced reloader, stick with published loads and don't play with powder beyond those limits. There is a lot more room that the published manuals give but you need lots of information and experience to use this safely. Don't get in the habit of assuming that you can easily and safely go outside the published information. This leads to potentially gun destroying mistakes on both ends of the published information depending on the powder used.

Wayne Smith
07-17-2013, 09:08 AM
The best answer is shoot them in your pistol and find out. You are not anywhere near max or dangerous loads. Your danger is not cycling the action. If so, you can always shoot them in your revolver! I have a 45ACP 1911 and a 45 Schofield. I use different boolits in them even though the case is very different. I use a 200gr load in the ACP and a 250gr load in the Schofield. However, I must say the my 250gr boolit is my best friend's favorite in his 1911.

In general, until you are a very experienced reloader, stick with published loads and don't play with powder beyond those limits. There is a lot more room that the published manuals give but you need lots of information and experience to use this safely. Don't get in the habit of assuming that you can easily and safely go outside the published information. This leads to potentially gun destroying mistakes on both ends of the published information depending on the powder used.

runfiverun
07-17-2013, 11:18 AM
work something up in your pistol then try them in your revolver.
I wouldn't overthink going low with the powder.
I use 5.8-6.0 grs of unique with whatever 200-230gr bullet/boolit I happen to have on hand for the 45 acp.
it seems to work just fine in either my revolver or my pistols.

don't start out looking for an issue, if you have a problem in one of the guns, then look at that gun to see what is different.

reloader762
07-17-2013, 06:52 PM
Awesome explanations, thanks to all!

jonp
07-17-2013, 07:33 PM
The answers above pretty much say it all. I use 5.8 - 6gr Unique in my 45acp when I use it. It may not be the best powder but like Universal it will run about everything you have. It's a good powder to keep on hand.

Doble Troble
07-17-2013, 11:08 PM
I've shot 1000's of Lee 200 gr SWC over 5.3 gr Unique. They are right at USPSA major power factor in my 1911 - just under when its cold, just over when hot. Bumping the Lee Autodisk another notch gives 5.6 - 5.7 gr Unique. This reliably makes major.

OAL is critical for some 1911s, particularly those with tight chambers. I had one that wouldn't feed reliably unless bullets were seated shoulder flush with rims. Sold that gun. Now I seat until just a hair of the shoulder is out of the case.

Love the 200 gr SWC. They cut big, clean holes and are accurate.

Shiloh
07-17-2013, 11:27 PM
I use 4.0 gr. Bullseye. Works fine in both auto and revolver. Recoil is a lot more manageable.

Shiloh