PDA

View Full Version : Polygonal vs. Conventional ????

ISME
07-16-2013, 03:19 PM
I am not trying to start a debate, just looking for some answers.

I shoot a glock 23 and have a storm-lake barrel for it to shoot lead. While looking at it and the standard barrel, the rifling on the polygonal barrel looks like it should be less aggressive so that it should lead less. But everybody says that the conventional rifling will lead less. I am just trying to learn what about the polygonal rifling causes it to chew off more lead. I do like the fact that the storm-lake has a tighter chamber for reloading. Can anybody help with this reasoning?
I am just searching for more knowledge to this reasoning. :veryconfu

Mk42gunner
07-17-2013, 01:23 AM
I don't know for sure, but the whole "don't shoot lead from polygonal rifling thing" has never made sense to me, Whitworth rifles were supposed to be some of the most accurate muzzle loaders and they had hexagonal rifling.

There is a multi-page sticky in the handgun section regarding cast in Glocks, maybe it can shed some light on the subject. It has been quite a while since I read it.

Robert

ku4hx
07-17-2013, 06:35 AM
If you search this forum, you'll find many, many responses to that question ... a few are my own. Others will respond as they see fit, but your search efforts would be well rewarded by ... well, searching. In fact, the topic has been the subject of questions on every gun forum of which I'm a member and there is not shortage of all sorts of responses all over the internet.

Sasquatch-1
07-17-2013, 08:12 AM
I do not shoot a Glock but do have a Desert Eagle in 44 mag. It also has the polygonal rifling. I have attempted to shoot lead in it and it doesn't work for me. First for those who have DE's I know I shouldn't shoot lead because of the gas ports and have since stopped. The problem I ran into is that at the velocities that the DE needs to cycle, the rifling doesn't get the chance to impart spin on the bullet, thus it tumbles and about 80% of the hits resulted in key holeing.

Just my observation.

garym1a2
07-17-2013, 08:22 AM
My GLock 22 with the Glock barrel I had bad luck with lead, with the storm lake its greatwith lead plus no glock buldge. My Glock 21SF isa different story, it's supper clean with lead.

Wayne Smith
07-17-2013, 09:12 AM
FIT is your answer. Do not assume that a boolit that fits one barrel will fit the other. Slug each barrel and find a boolit that fits.

ku4hx
07-17-2013, 09:46 AM
My GLock 22 with the Glock barrel I had bad luck with lead, with the storm lake its greatwith lead plus no glock buldge. My Glock 21SF isa different story, it's supper clean with lead.

Leading is not limited to a specific type of rifling. Long before I bought my first Glock in 1991, I had to deal with it. Specifically my BHP, a Ruger Blackhawk .357 Magnum, a 1911, a Ruger RH and SRH and others. All with "traditional" rifling.

There are numerous reasons leading may occur with any gun of any design with any type rifling. You have to "do your homework" with each barrel exactly like Wayne Smith says.