PDA

View Full Version : Just joined renewing casting for vintge 30-30

bsaride
10-06-2007, 04:21 PM
Just joined and tuesday I pick up a Marlin 1893 take-down rifle in 30-30.
It's been ages since I've done any casting (think it was 180gr 357 mold),
still haven't dug out my old reloading/casting gear yet. I am on the list that
just closed for the Ranch Dog TLC311-165-RF mold due in April. The marlin's
bore is pitted and I will need to slug it before buying sizing dies. I have never
slugged a bore before and will likely cast the chamber too. Any suggestions on
this? Also what can I do about bullets until my mold shows up? I was thinking
a 120-150gr bullet for light loads. Any other points I'm forgetting?

No_1
10-06-2007, 04:42 PM
Welcome to the site! Glad you are here. I guess the best thing to do is have a little look around and see what has changed since last time you cast. If I may suggest: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35

This is a area of our forums that deals with classic post that everyone seems to ask about. Grab a cup of coffee and browse around there as you may find your answers. You should find some stuff you have forgotten and learn some new things. As far as boolits, I am sure others will point you in a good direction/ We do have a few people that cast and sell boolit as members. Maybe some will pipe in.

R.

Robert

44woody
10-06-2007, 05:06 PM
Bsaride you have a pm :castmine:44Woody

bsaride
10-06-2007, 05:28 PM
Oh yeah,

Any suggested reading ie manuals I should get?

whisler
10-06-2007, 08:14 PM
bsaride: from your handle, can I assume you ride a BSA motorcycle. Back in the 1960s I had a 250 single BSA that I dearly loved.

bsaride
10-06-2007, 08:32 PM
Somethin like that...

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d132/bsaride/motorcycles/cachuma1.jpg

will be runnin again next spring

Ohio Rusty
10-06-2007, 10:23 PM
How I slug a muzzleloader ...... Being one end is closed, I drop a solid chunk of just-under-bore sized brass rod down bore then pound an oversize soft lead round ball into the muzzle and drive it in an inch or two. Then I turn the muzzleloader muzzle down several times to have the brass rod pound on the slug until it pushes it back out. For a modern gun, you again will need an oversized piece of lead and a rod softer than the bore steel to prevent damage. Somehow, you are going to need a long brass rod and a mallet for pushing the bore slug back out. That is how it's done, the rest is up to your ingenuity to figure out the details. Necessity is the mother of invention ......
Ohio Rusty

PatMarlin
10-06-2007, 10:52 PM
Welcome to castboolit heaven bsaride... :drinks:

Your Marlin is way over rated. Be glad to take it off of your hands and save you from any regrets in owning such a firearm.. :mrgreen:

9.3X62AL
10-07-2007, 12:55 PM
Good ol' Backwards Beezas. Welcome to the board, sir.

Those Marlin 93's are wonderful. Don't throw in the towel on the imperfect bore until you fire it some. I have a Win 73 in 44-40 whose bore is a little more casual than factory condition, we'll say. It will still do "minute of mule deer" at any range I would deploy it for venison-making.

It takes a little shooting to get the carbine's accuracy to settle down. 4-5 rounds after I start, the rounds start to "focus" on the business at hand, and remain clustered in recognizable groups until I clean the barrel--then I have to start over. I have left the bore fouled and returned to the range a week later, and the accuracy remained in place. I will be hunting with this rifle in D-14 this year, bore fouled and ready. 5 shopping days 'til deer season.

My 30-30's have been fed Lyman #311291 mostly, and some of the Lee "Soup Cans" (113 grain round flat-nose with gas-check). The Lyman 311291's will meet and sometimes beat jacketed bullet accuracy at similar velocities. I will get a Lyman #311041 mold after deer season, planning to try the "Bruce B Softpointing" bit with that design. The Soup Cans threaten good accuracy from time to time, but I really haven't given them much of a chance to excel or screw up.

PatMarlin
10-07-2007, 01:02 PM
OOh boy I can't wait til my 311291 GB arrives. That's gonna be fun.. :Fire:

jdhenry
10-07-2007, 01:18 PM
Oh yeah,

Any suggested reading ie manuals I should get?

The "Lyman Cast Bullet handbook" is a good book

and WELCOME to the group:)

bsaride
10-07-2007, 03:26 PM
The "Lyman Cast Bullet handbook" is a good book

and WELCOME to the group:)

Just picked one up this morning, thanks

Ricochet
10-07-2007, 03:33 PM
Oh my, I love those old Gold Stars!

bsaride
10-07-2007, 04:03 PM
Oh my, I love those old Gold Stars!

Hate to burst yer bubble but this was a 1970 A65 Lightening (call is a BSA Bonneville, lol)

Ricochet
10-07-2007, 04:06 PM
Got to get my eyes checked. :-D

Anyway the big old singles are the BSAs I most admire.

crowbeaner
10-10-2007, 07:58 PM
We had a BSA 175 trailbike way back when. Almost rode it into the BIG ditch back of the hayfield. We had an AJS big single but never could get it running. Try the Lyman 31141, the 311291, and the RCBS 30-180-FP. I size them to .308 for the 30/30 but you might want .309 if the bore is really rough. Flitz on a patch will help clean up some of the larger pitting, but go slow as the metal in those old guns isn't as good as newer ones. A few gaschecked bullets will help. Enjoy. CB.

whisler
10-10-2007, 08:09 PM
BSAride: I had Bonneville too. When I rode the "trumpet", we chided the BSA riders with a little poem. "Beezer, Beezer made of tin, ride 'em out and push 'em in." Then the Triumph gave up the ghost and I bought the mini-Victor and found out just how good they were. More fun than should be legal for a little 250 single. Welcome to a great forum and good luck with the 30/30.

floodgate
10-10-2007, 09:01 PM
I had a couple of Triumph Cubs back in the '60's. They had the basic Redcoat patents on the "self-loosening nut", the "oil-soluble gasket" and the "porous crankcase castings"; but when in good trim, their 200 ccs would pretty well keep up with an average Honda or Yamaha 125. They DID have great handling, though. Never got into Beezers, and I won't bore you with the Royal Enfield saga.

Had an offer of a Panther 600 single at $1.00 a cc, new in the crate, but passed it up; I heard that that long stroke red-lined at 250 rpm.. There was a ladies' step-thru version, the 250 cc "Panthette"; I have never seen one, and do not particularly wish to...

King George strikes back!

(Echoes from a mis-spent youth.)

floodgate

testhop
10-10-2007, 09:51 PM
welcome aboard you will enjoy it here
i know i have