PDA

View Full Version : Is it safe?

Vince from MO
07-15-2013, 10:44 PM
A friend has a Glock 26. Is it safe to shoot lead bullet reloads in this pistol? What would be good loads using Blue Dot or Unique?

Thanks,
Vince

MtGun44
07-15-2013, 11:44 PM
Read the stickie. Complex answer, although the short version is YES.

Get loading data from your library of loading manuals rather than some idiot online that might
be crazy or just have a bad memory.

Bill

Tatume
07-16-2013, 06:50 AM
Get loading data from your library of loading manuals rather than some idiot online that might

+1 Good advice.

Hickory
07-16-2013, 07:09 AM

Bill

There some out there who think they can load everything they own to shoot like an 88mm Howitzer. I think we all know people like that.
A good loading manual is recommended.

ku4hx
07-16-2013, 08:16 AM
If you're a believer in internet lore and hype, then no, cast boolits in a Glock are disastrously dangerous and will lead to an early grave for the shooter and all nearby.

If however you are a follower of truth, wisdom, real shooting experience and knowledge then yes, cast boolits are nothing special to Glocks and you might be like me and fire ten of thousands with great success in complete safety.

garym1a2
07-16-2013, 08:22 AM
For what it's worth I had bad results with cast bullets in the Glock 22 and great results with cast boolits in the Glock21SF. With the Glock 22 once I changed to a Storm lake barrel my problems went away.

mdi
07-16-2013, 11:43 AM
Truth or fiction, it has to do with polygonal rifling Glock used in their barrels. Glock says no, don't shoot lead in their guns, but many, many shooters/casters have done so successfully/safely and reported their successes here (but then, every gun manufacturer says no reloads in their guns). Check/search around here for "shooting lead in Glock" or the like. Also try google...

As far as load data, I'm also one of those that pay no attention to loads on any forum, and highly recommend printed reloading manuals for any load data. If the powders aren't list normally it means the powder isn't suited for a particular caliber, and I don't reload .40 so I can't help there.

mikeym1a
07-16-2013, 01:21 PM
A friend has a Glock 26. Is it safe to shoot lead bullet reloads in this pistol? What would be good loads using Blue Dot or Unique?

Thanks,
Vince
I don't know about Glocks. When I started reloading, I used the j-condoms. To save money, I switched to doctored WW's from a lee mould, with LLA for lube. Three different pistols, two different calibers, absolutely no trouble. I did read that some of the square nosed semi-wadcutters gave feeding problems, so I choose one with rounded edges that was supposed to simulate the nose of a JFM. I never had a feeding problem in my semi's. Granted they are not Glocks. But the theory should be the same. As long as the cartridge is the right size and length, and chambers properly, and is properly loaded, Why would it not be safe to shoot? They are only machines. As long as you do your job properly, they will do theirs. IMHO. :bigsmyl2: (If I am completely wrong, someone feel free to educate me!)

mdi
07-16-2013, 03:09 PM
I don't know about Glocks. When I started reloading, I used the j-condoms. To save money, I switched to doctored WW's from a lee mould, with LLA for lube. Three different pistols, two different calibers, absolutely no trouble. I did read that some of the square nosed semi-wadcutters gave feeding problems, so I choose one with rounded edges that was supposed to simulate the nose of a JFM. I never had a feeding problem in my semi's. Granted they are not Glocks. But the theory should be the same. As long as the cartridge is the right size and length, and chambers properly, and is properly loaded, Why would it not be safe to shoot? They are only machines. As long as you do your job properly, they will do theirs. IMHO. :bigsmyl2: (If I am completely wrong, someone feel free to educate me!)
Not quite like shooting lead in other semi-autos. Glock's rifling is different...

mpmarty
07-16-2013, 06:26 PM
Glock is no different from any other pistol except:
Loose chambers (possible kaboom ((google the term)))
polygon rifling claims more velocity but no proof of this claim.
Tupperware frame (flex absorbs some recoil and doesn't rust)

Shiloh
07-16-2013, 08:35 PM

Bill

Sage advice Bill.

Shiloh

Bloodman14
07-17-2013, 11:28 AM
Where in MO are you? I may be in a position to help.