PDA

View Full Version : New member with a 22 centerfire rifle.

22_boomer
07-15-2013, 09:52 AM
I don't cast yet and I've got bad lungs so casting myself may not happen. I decided to try doing a plinker setup and bought some 30gr lead bullets online. Problem is the bullets were actually for a cap & ball pistol and were .224 diameter and only had one drive band. I tested first using a rifle in .222 Reminton and 5.0gr of 5744 powder -- the low powder charge is because this was to be a plinker for something like 50 yards. The large case and small charge didn't work well -- got the first two shots within an inch then they went here and there and anyplace. I figured maybe I should use a smaller case so I went with the 5.7X28 cartridge case and chambered an 18" barrel with a 1:16 twist. I'm still using those cap and ball bullets but switched to 3.5gr of Unique powder and all seems good, although I have not had a chance to check if the setup is accurate. I would really like to find some good 40 to 45 grain cast round nosed bullets to try but I can't seem to find many commercial places that make 22 caliber (.224 to .225) bullets. Are there any sponsors here that I could contact for something like this?

The 22 caliber cast cap & ball bullets are not really designed for what I'm trying to do. I wanted a plinker that was in the 1600 to 1800fps range like a 22 magnum but I need some good bullets to help with the accuracy.

runfiverun
07-15-2013, 10:30 AM
contact bullshop I bet dan has what you need.
there are others listed in the vender sponser section also.
maybe creeker or jerry has some too.

22_boomer
07-15-2013, 12:18 PM
Thanks for posting! I tried the Bullshop e-mail address that came up on the web but it didn't work. Does anybody have an up to date e-mail address for the Bullshop?

I'll see if I can find the vendors section -- I'm kinda new on here and I really don't know what's here.

dverna
07-15-2013, 12:40 PM
You may well find that the cost of commercial cast .225 bullets that are custom made will be close to jacketed and they will not be as forgiving as jacketed bullets.

Casting bullets will not affect your health if you use a bit of common sense but starting with .225's is not as easy as the bigger bores. So you're in for a challenge.

375RUGER
07-15-2013, 01:30 PM
you can open this page and send Bullshop a private message
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?141-Bullshop
I've bought from Montana Bullet Works before and recommend his products as well.
http://www.montanabulletworks.com/224_Rifle.html

22_boomer
07-15-2013, 03:31 PM
Dverna,
I'm beginning to find out about the cost of the bullets. I figured if this rifle I have works out I may just have to start making my own. I kinda got the impression that the little 22 caliber cast bullets could be a problem so I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hope it works out.

375RUGER,
Thanks for the links. I have sent e-mails off to both locations. I didn't realize that the Bullshop was in Alaska so I hope the shipping charges won't be the killer -- I live in Florida.

dave22250
07-15-2013, 03:35 PM
You can try moyerscastbullets in Pa he has 45 and 55 grn both lyman molds I think,that way if you like you can buy molds.

MT Chambers
07-15-2013, 04:09 PM
If you were in Canada....MT Chambers could fix you up with about 7 diff. .225" bullets including hollow points and Eagan designs.

22_boomer
07-15-2013, 04:50 PM
If you were in Canada....MT Chambers could fix you up with about 7 diff. .225" bullets including hollow points and Eagan designs.

Don't things always work out that way! Most of the places here in the States are all back logged on orders so even if I find a good bullet made by a good place it will probably be a couple of months before I see anything. I don't want to buy the casting equipment before I have tested everything.

22_boomer
07-15-2013, 04:56 PM
You can try moyerscastbullets in Pa he has 45 and 55 grn both lyman molds I think,that way if you like you can buy molds.

Dave,
I looked at that site and was not sure what an "SP" was -- their description is SEMI-POINT. If that is close to a round nose it may be my choice. Do you know what a semi-point looks like?

runfiverun
07-15-2013, 11:18 PM
dan is in Montana now, just look up bullshop on the members list and drop him a p.m.

dave22250
07-15-2013, 11:40 PM
I don't know, I've never used his bullet in 22,call and ask his no. is there.

22_boomer
07-19-2013, 05:36 PM
I contacted Dave at Montana bullet works and he said he had a bunch of the bullets I wanted available right now so I sent in an order. I also contacted Beartooth bullets and ordered some of their bullets but Beartooth is backloged at least 12 weeks so I'll have to wait on those. Dave identified the bullet mold for what I want so if the Montana bullets work out for me I may actually try to make my own bullets. I will say that I can imagine me buying commercially made bullets long after I start trying to make my own.