PDA

View Full Version : 35-200-RN Crimp/Seating

BIGRED
07-15-2013, 09:48 AM
Fellow casters i call upon you for some words of wisdom yet again. i have decided to start loading cast for some rifles now and my 1st guinea Pig is my beloved 336 - 35Rem. i have handloaded for it since it came home with me some 13 years ago. i got 100 RCBS 35-200-RN from a fellow member here and decide to load them. my question is now that i am loading rifle bullets that have a crimp groove, where in the crimp groove do i seat to and crimp? do i have to use this crimp groove? can i seat it longer or shorter?
here is a picture of my test load. I went with 35gr of IMR4895, 36.5 has been a great charge for my 200gr corelokts so i knocked off a little.
tell me if i am doing it right or Wrong Please

http://i1336.photobucket.com/albums/o641/demersii/35Bullet_zps9e270c92.jpg (http://s1336.photobucket.com/user/demersii/media/35Bullet_zps9e270c92.jpg.html)

MT Gianni
07-15-2013, 10:02 AM
When seated in the crimp groove how does the oal [over all length] compare with what your old load was? It looks like a stiff magazine spring might set the boolit back some. I would increase the crimp a little.

runfiverun
07-15-2013, 10:27 AM
in my lever guns I like to see some engraving when the round is chambered.
the amount of engraving dictates how much more crimp is needed to get that round back out of the chamber.
the magazine tube spring and firing the rifle will dictate the need for the crimp also.

BIGRED
07-15-2013, 10:28 AM
I forgot the OAL, will need to remeasure it. it was quite a bit shorter than my RN Corelokts.

I was under the impression from reading posts here that i "NEEDED" to use the crimp groove!
I use a FCD and the crimp i use on my Corelokts is right about perfect, not too much and just enough to prevent setback.

DeanWinchester
07-15-2013, 10:40 AM
Try to find a sweet spot where the oal is acceptable, the base of the boolit does not extend past the neck and the boolit is as close to the lands as a lever gun will allow good feeding AND the case mouth does not sit in a lube groove. The crimp groove is quite inconsequential. A taper crimp or a LEE factory crimp die will handle that without a groove. You shouldn't need much of a crimp anyway. Just enough to keep a boolit from setting back under recoil. Many times, neck tension will handle this on its own. At least such has been my experience. YMMV.

runfiverun
07-15-2013, 11:05 AM
you do not have to use the groove or even crimp.
you do have to protect the boolit from being pushed into the case under recoil.
and from being left in the barrel when de-chambering a round.
if neck tension does this for you great, if you have to roll crimp gently over the front drive band then that is what you have to do.