PDA

View Full Version : Pouring bullets

glockky
07-14-2013, 01:13 PM
I am just starting to try to cast and was thinking of just ladle pouring bullets for my 44 mag and 45-70. Are there any disadvantages to doing this other than speed?

Jim
07-14-2013, 01:15 PM
I've been ladle casting for years. Works for me.

robpete
07-14-2013, 02:19 PM
I am also a Ladle caster. The only downside with the ladle is when you're using large caliber, 5-6 cavity aluminum moulds. I typically have to re-dip to get that last cavity. Kind of throws the rhythm off....and you want to move fast to keep those aluminum blocks nice and hot. Other than that, it's clear sailing.

Goatwhiskers
07-14-2013, 02:59 PM
I just converted my drip-o-matic to a lead melter only and went to ladle casting. Works fine for my single .44 cal mold and satisfactory for my 6-banger Lee .35 cal molds. Having problems with same in .30 cal trying to get it hot enough. Feel sure a minor change in technique will solve that. GW

GLL
07-14-2013, 04:54 PM
I do not find there is much of a speed disadvantage on most molds. As robpete indicated very large bullets from 6-cavity molds will slow you down but not as much as many around here believe.
The key is technique and a little experience ! :)

Just avoid the LEE ladle like the plague!!! Stick with an RCBS, LYMAN, or ROWELL !
I personally use RCBS and ROWELL.

Suggestion: Whichever ladle you choose, shorten the handle for better pouring control !

If you are just starting out I would consider one of the $20 new model LEE 2-cavity molds ,an RCBS ladle, and a cast iron pot on a controllable gas burner. You can always buy a bottom-pour pot latter.

Jerry

shadowcaster
07-14-2013, 04:54 PM
Definitely technique involved.. I find that for very large boolits using the ladle method is more consistent, and on a 6 cavity mold I only fill 2 or 3 cavities per pour. Keep the mold hot. For smaller boolits, I like my bottom pour best.

Shad

bhn22
07-14-2013, 07:03 PM
I just converted my drip-o-matic to a lead melter only and went to ladle casting. Works fine for my single .44 cal mold and satisfactory for my 6-banger Lee .35 cal molds. Having problems with same in .30 cal trying to get it hot enough. Feel sure a minor change in technique will solve that. GW

The one lb. Rowell ladle may fix everything for you if it'll fit in your pot. I'm using an older RCBS ladle that seems to work okay for up to 4 cavity 44 mag molds.

canyon-ghost
07-14-2013, 07:08 PM
I ladle pour up batches that are about 350 to 500 bullets, one afternoon in the weekend and then weigh, size and lube during the week after work. The next weekend, I'll have 350 match grade bullets to begin loading with. Some people would call it time-consuming but, I don't watch tv or talk a lot. That, and I like my ammo!

Mk42gunner
07-14-2013, 07:45 PM
I use both methods, and I have to say for quality boolits, I think the slight edge goes to ladle casting. I know I seem to get more rounded bases while bottom pouring.

My RCBS ladle works fine for a four cavity ~200 grain boolit, doing six cavities at ~250 grains, I need to refill the ladle. I usually will pour three then refill the ladle for the last three; it seems more consistent to me, and consistency is the name of the game.

Robert

bangerjim
07-14-2013, 07:58 PM
I use the RCBS ladle....cast iron....holds the heat.....has a bottom pour hole that prevents crud from getting in the way. Holds a decent amount of soup. I can fill a 6 cavity 40 cal in one dip.

The Lee "spoon" is good for skimming and scraping only!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Ya gets what ya pays for!"

bangerjim

williamwaco
07-14-2013, 08:13 PM
This is purely a personal preference question.

Very accomplished casters swear by one method or another.

Some like chocolate, some like vanilla.

I have tried both and I like chocolate better.

longbow
07-14-2013, 08:14 PM
I use a large plumber's ladle and have for many years. It holds enough for any mould I have up to 6 cavity .44.

I find ladle casting easier and simpler than bottom pour pots. I use a cast iron plumber's pot on a propane stove and ladle (my grandfather was a plumber). It works for me.

Longbow

mpmarty
07-14-2013, 09:05 PM
I use a LEE 4-20 bottom pour and it has never dripped. In some molds I pressure pour and in others I hold it half an inch below the spout. Depends on the mold and what it likes best. Ladle pouring that I did in the fifties and sixties was a royal pita.

trk
07-14-2013, 09:15 PM
I do both ladle and bottom pour.

Larger moulds are easier to fill if you have a large flow of alloy. Easy to do with ladle, must adjust flow rate on bottom pour.

It really becomes obvious on casting 1" diameter bullets - not practical with bottom pour, and it shows WHY fill rate is important.