PDA

View Full Version : Hide your kids!!!! Evil, Horrible, terrible, dreadful, gouger guy story is within...

Love Life
07-13-2013, 08:39 PM
I couldn't help myself with the title.

I was roaming through town today and hit a few of the local gunshops. I Stopped in my favorite store, but the shelves were still a bit scarce from the panic buy up. I did get some 1911 mag holders though, and updated my list of "CALL ME!!!!" guns while I was in there.

Then I mosied on over to my not so favorite gun store. Now these guys have always had high ammo and gun prices. Back in 2010-2011 a 20 rd box of wolf 7.62X39 was $7.00.

I walked over to their reloading section and they had primers and powders. They had 4831SC, Retumbo, Bullseye, and others. All powders were $29.99 per lb. Kind of a bummer because I wouldn't mind having some retumbo and 4831SC.

They had all sizes of Winchester primers for $50.00 per 1,000. 1 lb of powder and 1,000 primer limit per customer per day. No problem there!!

The funny part is they usually have very decent prices on handguns and rifles. Odd, but ok.

Now for the best part of the experience. I saunter up to the counter and engage one of the guys in conversation:

Me: Ya'll still got all them powders and primers I see.
Him: Yep. I reckoned they would all be gone by now.
Me: Maybe it is the quantity limit you have on them.
Him: Probably. We want to make sure everybody gets some.
Me: If ya'll didn't have the limit I would buy all of it right now. The powder and the primers.
Him: Duh, Duh, Duh....

Ya'll should have seen his face. I bet if the store hadn't been crowded he would have been all about it. Quite hilarious. I ended up getting some quick release sling swivels and mosied on out.

I hope he makes millions!

Gator 45/70
07-13-2013, 09:25 PM
You must be an oilfield guy.

If not, You have a future !

alrighty
07-13-2013, 10:45 PM
That's good stuff right there , the owner has probably eased up on the limits awaiting your next visit.:bigsmyl2:
I went and checked out a gun shop a few counties over today with my father. This was my first visit so I didn't know what to expect.No reloading equipment at all and no ammo at all was to be seen.:?
They had several guns , I am guessing 250-300 .They were mostly NIB stuff, the usual tacticool and plastic fantastic offerings. A few AR's , Glocks, XD's , a few different brands of 1911's mainly Taurus but a few Colt's and a Springer or two.They had an excellent selection for the area of Ruger Blackhawks and Vaquero's including a Blackhawk Bisley Hunter .What did Surprise me is they had a very good selection of the S&W M&P's including the pro models and the full size .45 with thumb safety I had been looking for.The price was good at a $503.00 so I told the Lady I would take it.[smilie=s:
The kicker was when she asked if I would like to buy a box of .45's? First I asked what she had, she replied she had some PMC bronze 185 grain JHP's at $23.00 for a box of 50.I replied sounds good grab me a couple.
For the past two or three years I have been using the Winchester ranger L.E. 230 grain +p in my ccw guns but I am starting to get low so I thought I would try these as my Winchesters are getting low.
So She goes behind the counter and into a private room and brings out 1 box of the .45.I tell her I am sorry , thinking she didn't hear me the first time ,I would like a couple of them.She replied I am sorry but we have to limit all ammo purchases to one box and only if you buy a gun.:cry:
I was only there for a total of 30 ,possibly 45 minutes at absolute most, counting mine I watched five 4473 forms filled out before I left.
Nice little gun shop and I am glad a friend told me about it.You would never know it from the outside as it is a antique store with a gun shop in one corner. The selection wasn't great but it did have the new hot sellers and prices were very reasonable.Hopefully as times go by they may get in some neat old trade in's and some ammo and reloading supplies.They did give me a couple of freebie can kozzie's:popcorn:
If you are ever in Grand Rivers , Ky check out Grand Rivers Antiques.
Funny how the evil gougers still have plenty of stock on hand but the gun shops with reasonable prices are low on inventory.[smilie=b:

Love Life
07-13-2013, 11:12 PM
They have always been that way. Most gun stores have cheapish ammo and higher priced firearms. These guys have always had decent priced firearms (Saw a Remington 1911 for $779.00 today) but high ammo prices.

I doubt they'll ever come down on the prices on the ammo though. It is also a pawn shop and I a got a Sawzall for cheap!!

starmac
07-14-2013, 12:26 AM
I went to a garage sale yesterday, the guy had a weatherby shotgun, that I was going to take home. He also had ammo and went into quite a salesman spiel on how hard it was to get. He only had one brick and enlightened me as he had checked every store in town and it had been months since they had had a shipment. I told him that I just happened to have been in wallmart when they unloaded a skid, but gave them their ammo back as I didn't quite need it as bad as hey did, and sportsmans are getting in some every week, but keeping it on a shelf behind the customer service counter. He talked so much that I decided against the shotgun too, and it was a good deal too. lol

GREENCOUNTYPETE
07-14-2013, 01:04 AM
we have a little store in town , they only open 2 hours a day , as they all have day jobs also but are doing well with their prices right about what i could do online with shipping , he even surprised me the other day i asked about a 22 he would have to order he was 10 dollars more than the best online price that included shipping but i would have had to pay transfer fee so it would have cost me 15 dollars more than the local store by the time i paid the 25 dollar transfer

some times their hours are a bit inconvenient , but i would rather plan ahead for when they are open 6 to 8 pm and have decent prices than have to pay for someone to sit there all day in every thing that i buy.

i never understood how some of the other stores made it , with high prices and the same guy sitting behind the counter all the time , seeming grouchy that your in there looking at his guns I get that they may want an 8-5 job , but it's kind of hard for the people with jobs that are working the same time to get to your store if your closing at 5