PDA

View Full Version : New Guy in need of Help!

Rex Driver
10-05-2007, 08:11 PM
I am new to this board, however, I have for years cast both round balls for long rifles and minnie balls for my 3 Springfield Repop. I currently have gotten into Cowboy Action Shooting and I shoot 38 Spec through both my Ruger Old Models and my Marlin Cowboy Competition Model in 38 Cal. I have been shooting 125 RNFP bullets through both with fairly good success at OAL of 1.440. The Marlin does seem to hang up at times and I have been told to try Trunicated (Spelling ?) Bullets at the apporx. same weight and length. My question is, does anybody make molds for this style bullet and if some people had some on this site they are no longer using I would be interested in buying a set or two if they are different. Any and all help will be appreciated.

By the way, my casting set up consist of two 60 wattt palmer super pots for making ingots and a lee bottom pour for casting the bullets. I have many fond memories of sitting at an open camp fire while primitave camping and casting 440 round balls from a pot over the fire, however, the amount of shooting in Cowboy Action would require too many nights in front of the camp fire.

Thanking you in advance
Rex Driver.

Phil
10-05-2007, 08:29 PM
Hi Rex,

Welcome to the board! Lee makes a nice 9mm six cavity truncated cone bullet of about 125 grains. They drop at just over .360" from my mold so you can size them for your 38 just fine. They do shoot quite well in the 9mm's, for some reason I've never shot any in a 38, I guess I'll have to do so.

Cheers,

Phil

TAWILDCATT
10-05-2007, 08:38 PM
Lee makes a truncated bullet #356-120-tc 2 and 6 cavity midsouthshooters has the moulds at$17.37 and $34.76.I dont see why that would help but it may.
------:coffee:----:Fire:----:coffee: