PDA

View Full Version : Powder Comparison

rodwha
07-12-2013, 12:11 PM
I've seen a few threads on various forums where this new Olde Eynsford powder has been compared with Swiss through rifles.

It seems everyone has been impressed, though I've seen the velocity is slightly less, which isn't a big deal. But it's been head and shoulders above other BP's.

I've yet to see any comparisons done through handguns. Has anyone seen results or done some testing of their own?

Has anyone tested against Triple 7? Or tested T7 against Swiss?

I want an energetic 3F powder to run through my Old Army, and want to stock/carry just one powder for all of my arms (so far just a .50 cal percussion Deerstalker). I've been using T7 so far and like it.

I've yet to fire anything but Pyrodex through my rifle as I don't like it, and I'm still breaking it in. But I've read of the "crud" ring it typically leaves, though I've heard this isn't always the case.

I recently received a bottle of 3F Olde Eynsford to try out, but without a chronograph I don't have a good way to compare against T7 other than maybe clean up and recoil of 35 grns behind a 240 grn conical.

DIRT Farmer
07-12-2013, 11:37 PM
What I have learned so far, and may not relate to your question.
I brought 3 lbs home from Friendship, 2 of ffg and one of fffg. The fffg was for my 32 flint rifle. So far I have shot off hand for pratice and to check fouling. The comparison is with Goex fffg and there is a differance, allowing at least one third more shots with out wiping, enough to shoot a limit of squrriels with out wiping, in "my barrel". Swiss left a hard fouling that required wiping every shot.
The ffg I have been weighing out in vials for use in my 451 Gibbs rifle. 87 grains of Oylde Ensford take noticable less volume in the vial than ffg Goex.
More research to come, heck I may get my Old Army out and shoot it even if the sights have left the firing line. (or my eyes)

rodwha
07-13-2013, 02:05 AM
Can you compare it to Pyrodex?

DIRT Farmer
07-13-2013, 10:40 PM
I have not used pyrodex for years, from back when I got it for free. most of my shooting is flint now and it is a hassel to get it to work.