PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Take To The Range??

alamogunr
07-12-2013, 09:59 AM
I don't get to go to the range as often as I would like and since it is a 70 mile round trip, I try to take everything I might need for a long session. I did that yesterday and forgot to take the tripod for the chronograph, stapler for targets and muffs. Resulted in a short session with ringing ears.

What kind of basic kit do others put together to take to the range? I've started on a list but I'm sure there are things I haven't thought of.

Trey45
07-12-2013, 10:06 AM
AMMO! I made a trip to the range a few years ago where I was to supposed to meet a few friends for a range day. I had packed the truck the night before with "everything" I thought I needed. I get to the range and set up and then realized my ammo can was still sitting on the garage floor. Talk about a short range trip!

List:
AMMO!
Guns
Plugs/muffs/glasses
screwdriver set
rag/towel
oil/cleaner/solvent
Solid rod (in case of squib)ask me why I pack this now.
Water/snacks/aspirin
Batteries, if any optic needs them, they will burn out when you don't have extras.(Murpheys law)
Notepad and pen
Stapler
Tape or target dots.

375RUGER
07-12-2013, 10:13 AM
9mm or 10mm makes a fair 'I forgot my earplugs' replacement.
I keep all my targets with stapler in a brief case. The stapler is dedicated for the range. If I ever need it at home then it goes immediately into the target case when done, because I have left it out before. That's why it's a good idea to throw in a roll of tape which is handy for covering holes in targets.
I've forgotten the tripod too, had to shoot prone. Worst part is the tripod and chrono are stored side by side.
I keep all the necessities in the range bag at all times so nothing gets missed putting back in. If I don't take it out I don't have to remember to put it back.

Down South
07-12-2013, 10:23 AM
I try to take the wife when she will go.

I have left ammo before but for just one caliber. I have a range bag that I keep a lot of stuff in. I try to keep it down to just remembering which guns I want to take and ammo to feed them.

gofastman
07-12-2013, 10:31 AM
Im a nerd so I bring:
ear plugs AND muffs
Ballistic rated goggles, not glasses
D-lead hand wipes
P100 respirator if Im at an indoor range

texassako
07-12-2013, 10:33 AM
Trey's list pretty much covers what I take except I also take a handful of those disposable rem oil wipes, baggies for any treasures I might find, and something soft to go under my elbow because the bench tops always make my elbow look like I took sandpaper to it.

jsheyn
07-12-2013, 10:34 AM
I take about as much as I can carry. I am fortunate that I live close enough to the range I can hear when the fellas are there shooting. I am under 3 miles round trip....so I can easily run home.

mold maker
07-12-2013, 10:48 AM
I keep a range box (on wheels) packed all the time. All I have to remember is ammo and guns. The box is aluminum covered wood, with waterproof seal. It tips in and out of the pickup bed with little effort, and has a steady rest for seated shooting. It's not perfect, but has, I'm sure, saved me many return trips.

Dale in Louisiana
07-12-2013, 10:48 AM
Put a few pair of the disposable earplugs in your glove box or the door pocket.

I use them all the time at work. a 5000-horsepower reciprocating engine is LOUD, so at the end of the day it is not unusual to have a pack or two in my pocket. They go in the glove box so I don't get caught short, either on the job or at the range.

Dale in Louisiana

archmaker
07-12-2013, 11:08 AM
I have two range 'bags' one is actually a plastic shooting box that I have had since the 80's. It is stocked with the things I need when I go shoot. I have a small cleaning kit, muffs, pen and paper, sandbags, rest, bandaids, stapler, shooting shield, and the chrony in it. Along with other miscellaneous tools. I don't take stuff out of it, if I need it at home (ok, but only a short term, and I put the item as buy item next time I am in the store). I don't need all the items in this kit all the times, but I just grab it and take it with me as a "why not".

I do have two of everything that is that kit, because if something breaks or fails at the range from the kit or gets lost, I come home and replace it so I can be sure my box is good to go at anytime.

The other bag has the gun stuff in, It is large bag that has all the clips for all my guns that don't have clip already in them. Earmuffs, first aid, batteries, snack, motrin. Stay in it at all times.

When going to the range to shoot pistols, they go in the bag, along with ammo at the same time. The bag goes from being about 8-10lbs to well over 20+ lbs with all in it. If it is to light I check it out.

My range bags are where I store stuff at home that I take to the range. One or two large bags is better than several small items or bags. Before I got both items I remember, even to this day 20+ years later, being worried that I may have forgotten something on the way to compete. My check list looked like this . . . Unlimited pistol, Revolver, Ammo for Unlimited, Ammo for Revolver, blast shield, baseball cap, earmuffs, bag with earplugs, screwdrivers, safety glasses, and timer. That is 8 items I had to make sure made it into the trunk of my car, at 6am in the morning.

Mk42gunner
07-12-2013, 01:55 PM
Like alamogunr it is about an 80 mile round trip to the range for me, and with the price of gas I don't get to go as much as I want to.

I have a range bag that I keep the basics in:
a GI first aid kit.
stapler and spare staples.
a few screwdrivers and cleaning gear.
eye and ear protection, even if the glasses are the old scratched set, they are better than nothing.
targets and pasters.
ink pen.

I don't take a chronograph every time, but I have one that has its own tackle box with tripod and spare batteries.

Water, the range I go to doesn't have running water.

I have started taking a foam poster board to use as a target backer, I never know what condition the one at the range will be in.

I have seen a few mishaps at the range while I was in the Navy, (and I have seen some real idiots at the range I go to), so I take the first aid kit just in case. I would rather try to control bleeding with a field dressing than a dirty t-shirt.

Guns go in cases, ammo in boxes or ammo cans.

Cell phone, again, just in case.

Thanks to seeing the ID10t's in person, I don't go on the weekend or immediately before deer season. Much more relaxing when I am by myself, or with only a few people.

Robert

bob208
07-12-2013, 04:22 PM
when i go to the range. the house is about 50 yd. to the left rear. the machine shop is about 50yd to the right rear. the barn is about 50 yd. to the left. so every thing i need is close at hand. also i am the only one there so i don't have too much problems with other people.

km101
07-12-2013, 04:40 PM
My list is about the same as Trey's, and most of it lives in my range bags. One for handguns, tools, stapler, etc. and another for ammo. I keep them both loaded and ready to go (except for the guns ) so that there is not last minute rush to gather everything up.

Long guns are taken out of the safe the night before and checked over to ensure proper operation and that everything is tight. A first aid kit is in both of my vehicles, so I always have one handy.

Nothing comes out of the range bags at the house except the guns. If I need something that is in my range bag at home, I go buy it or it comes from my shop. (I have taken thing out and forgot to put them back in the past. I don't do that any more!) It's only about 45 minutes from my house to the outdoor range, but that is far enough to really be a pain if something is not where it should be, so my stuff stays in the range bags.

And like Mk42gunner, I don't go to the range on the weekends or on holidays or just before deer season. It's not worth the hassles and possible accidents!

WILCO
07-12-2013, 04:52 PM
I keep a range box (on wheels) packed all the time.

Same here.

Spotting scope
Paper targets
Dot pasties in various colors
Small hamer/screw driver
Brass punch
Ear plugs
Plastic shopping bag
Stapler/staples
22lr ammo
Zippo for burn barrels
Front and back sand bags for bench shooting

**oneshot**
07-12-2013, 05:36 PM
I have a range bag. Dedicated to the range bag are:
Ear muffs
ear plugs(in case)
sand bags
stapler and staples
target dots
screw drivers
allen wrench set
mini cleaning kit
brass rod
lens cleaner
first aid kit(including eye drops)
notebook
marker and pens
small hammer and some nails(backer/bench repair kit)
I have a small slotted tacklebox that fits in the bag to keep all the odds and ends sorted.
Targets, ammo, and guns is all I have to grab before I go.
Makes it less likely that I forget something.

smokeywolf
07-12-2013, 05:48 PM
Trey and **oneshot** cover it real well. My first aid kit is specific to the range and includes components for primary response treatment of GSWs.
I also avoid the range on weekends.

smokeywolf

DeanWinchester
07-12-2013, 05:53 PM
I have an old Coleman cooler that I use as a range box. My ear muffs, stapler, stickers, targets etc are ALWAYS I there. Also, I pack my ammo, magazines and anything else I might need like a spotting scope etc, the night before. Check, check and triple check. Nothing worse than what happened to you. I hate getting to the range to find out I'm missing something. Having everything in one box like my cooler takes out a lot of guess work and scattered kit.

bangerjim
07-12-2013, 06:03 PM
I try to remember......GUNS!!!!! (olde tymer's disease has not set in quite yet!!!)

45LC carbine
9mm S&W
40mm XD/M
22LR Ruger MII
38 Ranch Hand
Circuit Judge
and sometimes:
Mossburg 500 12G
Mossburg 223 rifle

All the pistols fit neatly in the range bag and the long guns have thier own soft cases which can be carried in one hand with a velcro strap around case straps.

Oh, yes..................lots & lots of handloads!

bangerjim :guntootsmiley:

captain-03
07-12-2013, 10:26 PM
I take about as much as I can carry. I am fortunate that I live close enough to the range I can hear when the fellas are there shooting. I am under 3 miles round trip....so I can easily run home.

Same here ... 5 minute RT if I forget something!!

btroj
07-12-2013, 10:47 PM
Depends. I have gone to,shoot handguns and taken nothing more than a revolver, ammo, a bag to put empty brass in, and a bowling pin for a target.

I like to travel light. My bag has small screwdrivers, ear plugs, stapler and staples. I take targets, a pen, ammo, rifle, front rest if using it, and a spotting scope. Chronograph makes some trips bit not all.

Each trip is different. I take what is needed but nothing more.

Oh, a bucket for range scrap picking always stays with me. Brought home 57 pounds today. Some days I think I go to gather lead, not to shoot.

Gliden07
07-12-2013, 11:49 PM
Depends on what I'm shooting. Always in my Range Bag- Muffs, gloves, glass's, my Chapman Gunsmith screwdriver kit, appropriate ammo for what I'm shooting, targets, rag, pen/pencil, small notebook and a couple large ziplock bags for brass.

In addition to the Range Bag:

Rifle Range- Spotting Scope, couple of socks full of rice for the bench or community bench rests.
Outdoor Pistol Range- Kydex holster, Mag Pouch's and Gun belt. If I'm practicing drawing from concealment paddle holster.
Indoor Pistol range- When I practice Bullseye, my Spotting scope
Skeet Field- I just started shooting and bring a contractor's pouch to hold shells in.

I also keep in my car or truck a 5 gallon plastic bucket to collect range scrap if I can. Its hit or miss sometime depends on how many people are shooting. Also try to bring something to drink to stay hydrated and a cell phone (safety reasons) especially if I'm by myself. Things vary too but thats a pretty accurate description.

wool1
07-13-2013, 01:03 AM
AMMO! I made a trip to the range a few years ago where I was to supposed to meet a few friends for a range day. I had packed the truck the night before with "everything" I thought I needed. I get to the range and set up and then realized my ammo can was still sitting on the garage floor. Talk about a short range trip!

List:
AMMO!
Guns
Plugs/muffs/glasses
screwdriver set
rag/towel
oil/cleaner/solvent
Solid rod (in case of squib)ask me why I pack this now.
Water/snacks/aspirin
Batteries, if any optic needs them, they will burn out when you don't have extras.(Murpheys law)
Notepad and pen
Stapler
Tape or target dots.

STAPLES! I've done it before....have the stapler, ran out of staples!

Love Life
07-13-2013, 07:22 AM
Guns
Ammo
Ear pro
cleaning kit
1st aid kit
snacks
camera

captaint
07-13-2013, 07:59 AM
Some of my stuff stays in the truck. Backboards, sandbags, shooting rest for pistol. I have a range bag that has:
spray glue
target spots, various sizes
stapler AND extra staples
binoculars
little screwdrivers, wood dowel, just in case
solvent & CLP
22 ammo
rags & a towel
spotting scope, if shooting at 100
earmuffs (2) and ear plugs
Pen & paper
Other stuff I can't remember
I have almost forgotten ammo a couple of times. The club is about 30 mins away. Mike

searcher4851
07-17-2013, 03:04 PM
I have a dedicated range box that has most everything I might need that stays in the truck most of the time. Then I only have to load up guns and ammo in the morning. I did forget to replenish my target supply on one trip, so targets stay in the truck now too. The box contains stapler and staples, glasses, muffs, plugs, assorted tools, a brass rod, oil, binoculars, gloves, hat, towels, rags, first aid, canvas bags for brass pickups, and rests. Spotting scope and tripod are in another case and only go when needed.

Ed Barrett
07-17-2013, 10:55 PM
I keep an old car just to go to the range, the trunk contains;
a full tool box with gun related tools and cleaning chemicals and patch material.
The chrono and tripod with spare batteries in it's own hardcase.
Spotting scope with tripod.
22 and 30 one piece rods.
targets, paper, clay pigeon and gong.
towels to cover bench tops. (they are made of concrete where I shoot)
Three set of electronic muffs with spare batteries.
bottles of water

TXGunNut
07-17-2013, 11:09 PM
I keep "always" stuff in the shooting bag:
Muffs
A few (OK, several) pairs of disposable plugs
2 staplers w/ extra staples
Lenspen
Targets & pasters
Markers
Baggies

Other stuff:
Bipod
Front rest & rear bag
spotting scope & tripod
Chrony & tripod
binocs
guns
ammo
cleaning/tool kit
muzzleloading possibles box (converted tackle box)
portable loading press, dies & components
Water!

27judge
07-17-2013, 11:22 PM
Seems you guys have it covered pretty well. I also take a mat to lay over the shooting bench and a few sandbags to prop my arms on. I also have a 80 mile round trip so I go for the day. This means leave the house at 7 AM and back at 5:30 PM . I always treat myself to a well packed lunch. Seems the range has no where near the shooters it used to, this im sure is the shortage of ammo. Many days I have the range to myself with very few shooters showing up thru the day tks KEN

Artful
07-18-2013, 08:50 AM
Spare car key in wallet - just in case

bobthenailer
07-18-2013, 09:44 AM
I leave alot of range equipment in my suv at all times and bring my range bag that weighs 13 lbs with no guns in it yet as well as a seperate ammo bag. I have forgotten things from time to time but its rare ocassion as i go usually go to the range 2 times a week all year long except in severe weather so i have my system down ? I think my last goofup was i forgot to bring ammo for one of my guns but that was no problem as i brought 3 other guns with ammo to shoot.

reloaderman1
07-18-2013, 10:42 AM
I have a dedicated range box that has most everything I might need that stays in the truck most of the time. Then I only have to load up guns and ammo in the morning. I did forget to replenish my target supply on one trip, so targets stay in the truck now too. The box contains stapler and staples, glasses, muffs, plugs, assorted tools, a brass rod, oil, binoculars, gloves, hat, towels, rags, first aid, canvas bags for brass pickups, and rests. Spotting scope and tripod are in another case and only go when needed.
That's mostly what I do.Just load the guns and ammo and I'm off!
One thing I stopped doing is run a dry patch thru the bore.
I got to a match ( about 1 and1/2hrs driving) , got all set up............ and no bolt! It was on the bench when I got home !........DUH!

1Shirt
07-18-2013, 12:27 PM
Never less than three weapons, often 4 or 5, usually the majority rifles and probably one hand gun. It is 70 mi. round trip for me. Seldom shoot less than 150 rounds, often over 200.
1Shirt!

Jal5
07-18-2013, 12:41 PM
didn't see anyone mention some kind of pail/box/plastic tub to either put brass scrounged in or better still lead scrounged frm the berms...always bring home more than you took to the range is the motto.

captbligh
07-18-2013, 12:43 PM
Triip to the closest area in the desert that has a good backdrop and away from population is 48 miles one way, but I can set up to shoot 300+ yards easily and usually no one else around on weekdays. Thought I had everything I needed in one cabinet in the garage that I picked from depending on rifle or handgun shooting planned. Last time out I discovered that the 9V battery that I always kept in the chrono bag had been looted (by me) late one night when the stupid smoke detector in the bedroom started beeping. Now I've got several in the range box, chrono bag and an extra in the glove box of the truck. Always take two staple guns (have had one jam beyond repair), muffs and earplugs (managed to forget the muffs on several occassions) cleaning kit for that once in awhile jam, and since this is Arizona - plenty of water.

a.squibload
07-18-2013, 01:38 PM
Tape the terminals on those 9v batteries!
Small squares of napkin or kleenex can be
stuffed into ears, cellulose absorbs sound
waves pretty good. One time I forgot the
bag with the muffs for friends. I use plugs
& wash 'em like sponges. Carry plenty of
new ones for other folks.
Mine is a membership range about 10 min
from here, snack bar & pop machine in the
clubhouse. Sat. afternoon is good, sometimes
no one else there. Went one Sun., so busy
we got the last sandbag.
Finally got the right size staples but I have
hanging steel targets, golf balls are fun too.
Small buckets for range scrap & brass.
Mechanic-type hand cleaner & rags, especially
when shootin black powder.
I should bring specific screwdrivers, etc. instead
of counting on the trunk toolbox. And a better
first aid kit.

Awsar
07-18-2013, 06:12 PM
well thankfully my range is about 15 feet out my basement door.
but when i get out there i still forget something:) lol

Jon
07-19-2013, 09:18 AM
I have a bag that I take to the range for the bullseye pistol shoots.

Targets
stapler
box of staples
earplugs
disposables in case the earplugs fail or get misplaced
ammo
orange target stickers. They contrast well on the black.
extra battery for my red dot.

I'll probably toss a cleaning rod in there since they seem to be needed at the range occasionally to pop out a stuck shell in someones pistol or rifle.

I used to carry quite a bit more, but between that and my spotting scope, I didn't want to have to make multiple trips to the car.

captaint
07-19-2013, 09:45 AM
I always keep a couple plastic bags for brass in case there's any in the buckets that I need. I had to stop picking up the 9mm brass. That was just getting out of hand. Enough is enough. Mike

KCSO
07-19-2013, 10:30 AM
Guns usually, sometimes 3 or 4, along with the wrong ammo, a staple gun with no staples, cardboard target backers with no frame and the chrony I shot a hole in last time. I usually leave home the chrony I boought to replace the one with the hole, the ammo I wanted to test in the first place, target frames, and the other 2 guns I really needed to test fire.

Jon
07-19-2013, 12:11 PM
I always keep a couple plastic bags for brass in case there's any in the buckets that I need. I had to stop picking up the 9mm brass. That was just getting out of hand. Enough is enough. Mike

I pick up everything I can find. I've been trading off what I can't use for other calibers. All my .40 was traded for 38spl.

Dale in Louisiana
07-19-2013, 02:59 PM
Guns usually, sometimes 3 or 4, along with the wrong ammo, a staple gun with no staples, cardboard target backers with no frame and the chrony I shot a hole in last time. I usually leave home the chrony I boought to replace the one with the hole, the ammo I wanted to test in the first place, target frames, and the other 2 guns I really needed to test fire.

Great system! If this is what you INTEND to bring, then when you screw up, you're at the range with the right stuff!

dale in Louisiana

Boerrancher
07-19-2013, 03:32 PM
I have a large range bag with lots of pockets and a good shoulder strap. I keep my sawdust bags in there (I use saw dust because it is lighter than sand and supports the gun just as well) along with my ear plugs, small tool set, cleaning kit, and an Islamic prayer rug. I use the rug as a bench or ground cover. I carried it with me all over Afghanistan and used it as a ground cover to keep the dust from being blown up by the muzzle blast if I had the time to deploy it otherwise I just put up with the dust. Nothing is removed from the bag for use anywhere but at the range, whether the range is the one just out my door or the public range 10 min away. When it is time to shoot I grab the range bag and my guns and ammo.

Best wishes

Joe

lksmith
07-20-2013, 09:31 AM
I keep plugs and or muffs in each vehicle, also tape, and first aid kit.
My chrony and tripod are kept next to each other and stay in the vehicle I usually drive. I also used to keep a cleaning kit in my range bag but I broke it and haven't replaced it yet. I also keep several plastic bags for brass and lead I find

alamogunr
07-20-2013, 10:08 AM
A number of posts to this thread have mentioned a first aid kit. That had never crossed my mind but should have. The range I use is isolated and has no cell phone service, at least for my phone. I'm going to ask if any providers have service there.

The gate is kept locked when no one is there but the first person to open the gate leaves it closed but unlocked. The reason given is so that emergency responders can get in. That should have been a clue.

Based on the responses, I put together a kit that I took this past week. Now I have to refine it. It took a half hour to load and unload not counting guns and ammo.